× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ v2 (5.3.11) - Can't access any shares or ssh - connection refused

Digi421
Aspirant

ReadyNAS NV+ v2 (5.3.11) - Can't access any shares or ssh - connection refused

Ok, so I've recently had a disk failure. I have 4x3TB drives in X-Raid 2. So I replaced the faulty disk, the volume was resynced (took about 20 hours, went through just fine) but now, I cannot access the device anymore at all.

The front panel shows the correct IP address (10.0.0.3, manually configured, connected directly to PC via Ethernet cable) and free space (C: 3.2/8.1T free). RAIDar finds the device and shows all 4 disks, Status: Healthy. Firmware 5.3.11

Now when I try to access the box via HTTP/HTTPS or SSH, I get "connection refused". So it can't be a network issue, because I get a response. But I can't access the device at all.

In RAIDar, when I click "Browses", it only takes me to "My Documents" on the PCs hard drive. "Admin page" opens the browser and I get connection refused. When I click "Locate" the LEDs do blink.

What can I do to regain access?

Model: ReadyNASRND4000v2|ReadyNAS NV+ v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ v2 (5.3.11) - Can't access any shares or ssh - connection refused

@StephenB wrote:

Here's a link for OS 4 tech support which might help.  https://onlyblueatwork.wordpress.com/2012/12/04/netgear-readynas-access-recovery/

I believe you'll be able to access the OS 5 NAS using this procedure, but mounting the volumes might be different.

OS5 was a port of OS4 x86, with a new GUI and some other changes, so yes for the NV+ v2 (runs 5.3.x) it would be pretty much the same as the instructions you linked to. There is a script to start the RAID that you could run rather than starting it using the commands shown there though. The Flex-RAID JBOD on OS 5 is not available for legacy x86 so things may work a bit differently if you are using that.

Trying to use telnet mode though is at your own risk (it has the same implications as using SSH) and not supported. Using telnet mode care needs to be taken to check that the disks is healthy (using smartctl), that the RAID is in a good state (e.g. using mdadm -E ) etc. It's quite easy to run into problems if you are not familiar with what you are doing.

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 16

All Replies
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Digi421,

Welcome to the community!

From the looks of it, the device is functioning just fine. By any chance, is there another device on your network that uses the same IP address? Also, since the unit is in XRAID2, have you considered booting up the unit without the recently added (replacement) hard drive?

Looking forward to your response.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 16
Digi421
Aspirant

Hello Brian,

there's definitely no IP address conflict as the NAS is the only wired device and the only one on a 10/8 network (my wireless uses 192.168).

I've removed the new drive, booted, but still get the same result. In Wireshark I see my PC sending a SYN, and the NAS immediately responds with a RST,ACK.

Edit: The MAC address also resolves to Netgear, so I'm definitely talking to the correct device.

I also did a portscan and it only came back with a few open ports

Nmap scan report for 10.0.0.3
Host is up (1.3s latency).
Scanned at 2016-07-19 18:12:14 BST for 28s
Not shown: 997 closed ports
PORT    STATE    SERVICE
111/tcp open     rpcbind
514/tcp filtered shell
631/tcp open     ipp

Should I try an OS reinstall or will that wipe the data? I've never done that, so I'd better ask 🙂

Message 3 of 16
Digi421
Aspirant

I just noticed, removing the disk, booting, shutting down and re-inserting the disk has the effect of another volume resync (so another 20 hours before I can try anything)... meh.

Message 4 of 16
Digi421
Aspirant

Ok, I have done an OS reinstall, that went through fine, but nothing changed. Still can't access anything (connection actively refused), still only the same 3 ports, still RAIDar finds the device and shows everything as "Healthy".

I then rebooted and the IP changed to 192.168.168.168

Changed my NICs IP to 192.168.168.1/24, but still the same, no connection possible. Same after another reboot (IP stays on 192.168.168.168). And still only the same 3 ports as above.

So what else can I do?

Message 5 of 16
Digi421
Aspirant

If I inserted another (new) disk and performed a factory reset, and then re-insert the "old" drives, would the NAS recognize the drives?

Message 6 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@Digi421 wrote:

If I inserted another (new) disk and performed a factory reset, and then re-insert the "old" drives, would the NAS recognize the drives?

The OS is installed on the drives.  So if you power down and install the old disk, the NAS will recognize them, but your problem will still be there.

Message 7 of 16
Digi421
Aspirant

Hi StephenB,

thanks for clearing that up. I was hoping the OS was installed on internal storage like a small CF card or so.

Can you think of anything else I can do? Is there anything in the tech support boot mode that would allow me to at least SSH to the box?

Thanks in advance!

Message 8 of 16
StephenB
Guru

You can get in via tech support mode, but I don't know exactly how to do that that with a v2.

The OS reinstall changed the IP address method to use DHCP, otherwise it wouldn't have failed over to 192.168.168.168.  Changing the IP address on the PC to 192.168.168.1 should have worked if you were directly connected to the NAS (though it might have failed if you were going through other equipment to reach it).  Are you on a home network or an enterprise network?  It's unusual for a home network not to have DHCP.

BTW the OS reinstall would also change the password to "password".

Message 9 of 16
Digi421
Aspirant

My main internet link is wireless (using DHCP on my router), the NAS is connected directly to a wired GBE interface on my board (straight cable, which is fine since it's Gigabit). I changed the wired interface's IP to 192.168.168.1/24. I can ping the NAS, running Wireshark I see a Netgear MAC address for 192.168.168.168, so I know I'm talking to the NAS.

Literally the "only" problem seems to be that no (helpful) services are running on the NAS. No CIFS/SMB, no HTTP(S) management, no SSH. I don't really have THAT important data on the NAS, but it holds my movie collection of about 4TB and I'd be a major inconvenience to having to rip/transcode them all again.

I'm sure the password is password, problem is I can't access any service that asks for a password. As I mentioned earlier, there are only 3 open ports on the NAS and none of them are helpful with regards to accessing the device. Even if I only had SSH, that'd be fine, then I could SCP my data off it and do a factory default.

I even have a config backup, but again that's no help because there's no way to restore it.

I guess at this stage, there's (realistically) nothing to lose, so I'll see what Tech Support mode offers (will use nmap to see if that starts any additional services I could access).

Thanks a lot for your response. I know that support for consumer products is usually a pain, so I appreciate it.

Message 10 of 16
kcallis
Aspirant

Interestingly enough, I am suffering with same issue. A couple of days ago, I was able to access my CIFS shares just fine. Suddenly, no access via https or via ssh.

Like the OP, I just have videos, but 4 TB is a major loss.
Message 11 of 16
StephenB
Guru

Here's a link for OS 4 tech support which might help.  https://onlyblueatwork.wordpress.com/2012/12/04/netgear-readynas-access-recovery/

I believe you'll be able to access the OS 5 NAS using this procedure, but mounting the volumes might be different.

Message 12 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@StephenB wrote:

OS5 was a port of OS4 x86, with a new GUI and some other changes, so yes for the NV+ v2 (runs 5.3.x) it would be pretty much the same as the instructions you linked to. There is a script to start the RAID that you could run rather than starting it using the commands shown there though. The Flex-RAID JBOD on OS 5 is not available for legacy x86 so things may work a bit differently if you are using that.

Trying to use telnet mode though is at your own risk (it has the same implications as using SSH) and not supported. Using telnet mode care needs to be taken to check that the disks is healthy (using smartctl), that the RAID is in a good state (e.g. using mdadm -E ) etc. It's quite easy to run into problems if you are not familiar with what you are doing.

Message 13 of 16
Digi421
Aspirant

That's awesome, I can now telnet to the device. Unfortunately I'm not familiar enough to mount the raid (or start the sshd for some reason). I'll keep playing around for now though, thanks a ton!!

Message 14 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Any update?

Message 15 of 16
Digi421
Aspirant

Thanks to your help, mdgm, I'm now able to access my data again.

I want to say, this was the best experience of customer service I have seen in a long time and I am incredibly grateful for what you have done. You have gone above and beyond, and not just taken "the extra mile", but many of them. Thank you so much. Not only for what you have already done but also for your advice regarding disks and everything else. I am extremely pleased and "well chuffed" 🙂 Thanks again, it's MUCH appreciated!

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements