× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS OS 6.4.2 Feedback Thread

mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

ReadyNAS OS 6.4.2 Feedback Thread

Please share your feedback from running ReadyNAS OS 6.4.2

Message 1 of 32

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

6.4.2 is now available on the update server.

Thanks for sharing your early feedback on 6.4.2. We are now closing this thread, but if you have encountered an issue please open a new thread to discuss it.

View solution in original post

Message 30 of 32

All Replies
cpu8088
Virtuoso

have this installed on pro 6 and 2120 v2

so far so good

Message 2 of 32
wizard
Aspirant

No update being detected on the RN314 unit.

Message 3 of 32
anna_arun
NETGEAR Expert

Seems Much Faster than any earlier version of 6.4.X .

Message 4 of 32
LaTower
Aspirant

Much better/faster than 6.4.1, at least on the RN202.

I had to reinstall 6.4.0 after upgrade to 6.4.1... 6.4.1 was terrible... 6.4.2 is great, thanx.

Message 5 of 32
rjwerth
Luminary

Update not showing up on my 516.

Message 6 of 32
StephenB
Guru

@rjwerth wrote:

Patience, patience...  Smiley Surprised

Netgear always posts the a direct download first, and then follows up with pushing the update through their update servers.

If you are in a rush, you can download from the link and manually install.  If not, just wait a day or two and the update will show on the NAS.

Message 7 of 32
Supertramp11
Luminary

"have this installed on pro 6 and 2120 v2

so far so good"

How are the fans running on the PRO 6?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Message 8 of 32
cpu8088
Virtuoso

my pro 6 now running with E7500 core 2 duo 3.0 and 4 gb ram with stock fans

cpu temp when start up about 44c may rise to 60c

system temp when start up about 55c to 65c-70c and then fan speed increases from 8xx to 15xx

while ambient temp about 22c

in normal days this unit only turn on for 1 hour for backup. dont seem there is problem with fan control. may be there is calibration problem as to why start up temps with about 10 degree c difference?

Message 9 of 32
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

@wizard wrote:

No update being detected on the RN314 unit.

@rjwerth wrote:

We're doing a web release first for the 6.4.2 and then posting to the update server at a later time. If you want to use 6.4.2 earlier than everyone else, please get it from the release notes page. We'll post to the update server either end of the week or early next. 

Message 10 of 32
DoctorBrown
Apprentice

I do not seen an improvement of the raw transfer rate from what I reported in this thread:

Slow Network performance with ReadyNASOS 6.4.2 (RC1)

The transfer rate is still 40% slower than what I saw with 6.2.5.

Message 11 of 32
StephenB
Guru

I'm also still seeing poor SMB performance on my RN102 (running released 6.4.2).

I plan to try a factory reset - the volumes are very old, and I know that the settings used for btrfs have changed along the way.  I'll report back if that helps. 

Message 12 of 32
rjwerth
Luminary

I'd be interested to know if that helps.  My volumes are only a year old, but they made changes soon after I was up and running.  I'd hate to do a full reset, but I would if it sped things up significantly.

Message 13 of 32
rjwerth
Luminary

@StephenB wrote:

@rjwerth wrote:

Patience, patience...  Smiley Surprised

Netgear always posts the a direct download first, and then follows up with pushing the update through their update servers.

If you are in a rush, you can download from the link and manually install.  If not, just wait a day or two and the update will show on the NAS.

Got it.  Thank you!

Message 14 of 32
pec967
Luminary

Approximately one hour after I updated my RN312 from OS 6.4.1 to OS 6.4.2, extreme write activity with a constant buzz from the head movement started and lasted for about one hour. The only activity for which I was responsible during this time was a daily ReadyNAS Vault backup, but it would not have been doing writes (I updated  Vault to version 3.0.16 (the latest) a week ago). I did capture logs while this was happening. 

Any thoughts?

Message 15 of 32
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig).

Message 16 of 32
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you seen the "extreme write activity" again since then?

Message 17 of 32
pec967
Luminary

Yes, again tonight. It is appears to be correlated with ReadyNAS Vault running. It looks to me llike it is backing up all the files to the Vault cloud for some reason. Only a handful of files change from day to day, so the incremental backups normally only take a minute of so.

Not sure what all the write activity is about, but perhaps Vault doesn't do encryption on the fly but writes encrypted versions of the files that it then uploads?

I captured logs again tonight, and there are lots of entries like the following in systemd-journal.log:

Feb 04 21:13:45 ReadyNAS3 readyNASVaultDaemon[1963]: INFO    | File status changed in cloud: <name of file>

regards,

-pc

Message 18 of 32
rjwerth
Luminary

6.4.2 seems to have killed my Logitech Media Server.  It won't turn on and even the icon is borked.  I'm currently trying to remove it...but it has been clocking for several minutes now.

UPDATE:  I finally got it removed and reinstalled.

Message 19 of 32
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Perhaps you could contact ReadyNAS Vault support and see if they have any suggestions regarding what you are seeing with Vault.

Message 20 of 32
pec967
Luminary

Thanks, I will do that.

I also noticed something strange. I had updated to Vault version 3.0.16 about a week before the update from OS 6.4.1 to OS 6.4.2, and everything was smooth with the update and I rebooted the RN312. The logs showed that the update was successful. When I look at the Vault portal and in one of the RN312 logs that shows all the versions of software, however, it shows the Vault version as 2.9.23? I will try to update to Vault 3.0.16 again. 

Message 21 of 32
RickieAbbott
Aspirant

RN104  updated to 6.4.2 ,  found a problem, when you "drag & drop files here to upload" It now says "Calculating Size"  but then does nothing.  tried with all sizes of files, no luck.   worked just fine on 6.4.1. 

Message 22 of 32
DoctorBrown
Apprentice

@DoctorBrown wrote:

I do not seen an improvement of the raw transfer rate from what I reported in this thread:

Slow Network performance with ReadyNASOS 6.4.2 (RC1)

The transfer rate is still 40% slower than what I saw with 6.2.5.

With the latest 6.4.2, my max sustained network transfer rate was 37.0 MB/s or about 30% of network bandwidth.  I have now backdated and rebuilt my system to version 6.2.5. My max sustained network transfer rate is now 63.5 MB/s or 53% of network bandwidth of 1Gbps.

So I think this says pretty much that the network transfer rate with the newest version of ReadyNASOS is about 40% less than it was on the last major release. So unless there is a specific fix for this going foward I will not be upgrading until this is fixed.

BTW, I'll have to reconfirm this, but on an earlier test (which I'll need to repeat once another major transfer is complete) this transfer rate was close to what I was getting on a disk to disk copy on my system.

Message 23 of 32
berkut1
Tutor

Updated RN516 from OS 6.2.4 to OS 6.4.2 with no problems.  System rebooted, and after refreshing the admin web page I was able to see the new shares admin interface.  Nice.

Message 24 of 32
berkut1
Tutor

I have installed on one of my RN516s, OS 6.4.2, and OS 6.2.4 on the other.

Going through the Menus I can no longer find Volume Schedule on OS 6.4.2 which was availble on on OS 6.2.4 under System->Settings.

Where did it go?

Message 25 of 32
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements