× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS OS6 6.7.3 Upgrade - Users With Full Root

steveoelliott
Luminary

ReadyNAS OS6 6.7.3 Upgrade - Users With Full Root

Hi all,

I haven't yet upgraded to 6.7.3 from 6.7.1 but I've seen numerous threads on here regarding the system failing to boot due a full root volume.

My question to the Netgear team is whether this volume was already nearing full prior to the upgrade or whether something in the upgrade caused the volume to fill.

The reason I ask the question is whether checking there is ample space prior to upgrading avoids running into this issue. If it does then I would actually propose a pre-install check and warning if the volume is reaching a critical level to prevent this in future.

Thanks...

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS OS6 6.7.3 Upgrade - Users With Full Root

It was an issue with 6.7.3. It mainly affected systems where the root volume was fully allocated even if very little was actually used.

If you have updated to 6.7.3 and ran into this issue please try USB Boot Recovery with ReadyNAS OS 6.7.4 which is now available!

If you have not yet upgraded please upgrade to 6.7.4 rather than 6.7.3. If your system has already been fixed I would still suggest updating to 6.7.4 the normal way using the web admin GUI.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 10

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@steveoelliott wrote:

If it does then I would actually propose a pre-install check and warning if the volume is reaching a critical level to prevent this in future.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-for-ReadyNAS/Have-OS-Update-Check-Root-Directory-Spac...

Personally I think that check makes a lot of sense.

Message 2 of 10
steveoelliott
Luminary

Let's hope it gets approved, i'll give it my vote now.

Knowing what we know now, it would seem remiss to omit this step.

Message 3 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There'll be a fix for this issue in 6.7.4. The root volume was fully allocated but not fully in use.

Message 4 of 10
steveoelliott
Luminary

Thanks...

Can you confirm whether this is a generic volume issue that could affect any release / upgrade or something within 6.7.3 that triggers the volume to become fully allocated.

Nevertheless, I believe some basic automated health checks before performing the upgrade would prevent issues like this arrising.

Message 5 of 10
vandermerwe
Master

I'd also like to know whether to defer upgrading other units with 6.7.3 even if the current root partition looks ok?

Message 6 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It was an issue with 6.7.3. It mainly affected systems where the root volume was fully allocated even if very little was actually used.

If you have updated to 6.7.3 and ran into this issue please try USB Boot Recovery with ReadyNAS OS 6.7.4 which is now available!

If you have not yet upgraded please upgrade to 6.7.4 rather than 6.7.3. If your system has already been fixed I would still suggest updating to 6.7.4 the normal way using the web admin GUI.

Message 7 of 10
steveoelliott
Luminary

OK Thanks... This is why I always defer upgrading for at least a month. I let others test for me. On a business system, running the latest and greatest isn't always the most stable.

Please can you advise what you mean by fully allocated vs fully used? If I remember correctly the root volume has 4GB allocated to it by default.

Message 8 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I'm talking about the BTRFS chunk allocation for data and metadata vs what is actually consumed. Empty chunks are returned to unallocated space, but chunks that aren't are not.

6.7.3 has a problem when all the space is allocated even if it's not actually in use. This is what's fixed in 6.7.4. The system should work fine with the space fully allocated.

Message 9 of 10
steveoelliott
Luminary

I now understand, thanks.

Does the upgrade check for any obvious issues prior to proceeding with the upgrade? I appreciate that wouldn't circumvent this issue but I am curious.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements