× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Pro 6 Checking root FS

Pete_C
Tutor

ReadyNAS Pro 6 Checking root FS

Hi, 

I have a small issue with my ReadyNAS Pro 6 running OS6.4.0. Until recently it has been runnning fine. However, when the unit was booted up yesterday it shows the squares for each of the six drives and a message; Booting... Checking root FS.

I've left the unit in this state overnight and from what I've read in other threads, it appears that this is not right. The check should only take minutes.

I've tried OS Reinstall, which appears to only have reset all of the unit settings, as the ethernet bond is now showing as two ip addresses. Iw ould like ot avoid a Factory Default and wiipe the drives if possible. I have a about  80% of the data backup up, and would like to try and recover the remaining data if possible. Also I dont want to go through the hassle of restoring everything unless I have to.

Is there any way to skip the FS check? Failing that, is there anyway to mount my drives so that I can recover what i need from them?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Message 1 of 37

Accepted Solutions
Pete_C
Tutor

It's all,sorted with huge thanks to mdgm who has reinstalled the OS on the unit.

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 37

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

There is a boot option to skip the file system check.  It's described in the hardware manual on page 26: http://www.readynas.com/download/documentation/HM/ReadyNAS_Ultra_UltraPlus_Pro_HW_13April11.pdf

Message 2 of 37
Pete_C
Tutor

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the response. If you mean the Skip Vol Check from the boot menu, that has no effect. It restarts the checking routine again.

Thanks,
Pete
Message 3 of 37
StephenB
Guru

@Pete_C wrote:

Thanks for the response. If you mean the Skip Vol Check from the boot menu, that has no effect. It restarts the checking routine again.

Then it must be checking the OS partition.  Perhaps someone from netgear here will have a suggestion.

Message 4 of 37
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@StephenB wrote:

There is a boot option to skip the file system check.  It's described in the hardware manual on page 26: http://www.readynas.com/download/documentation/HM/ReadyNAS_Ultra_UltraPlus_Pro_HW_13April11.pdf

On OS6 if you choose that option on a legacy system it would boot into volume read-only mode (I think).

Message 5 of 37

Weird, this just happened to me yesterday as well.

Message 6 of 37
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Which firmware are you running?

Message 7 of 37

I am on OS 6.4.1 and it was running fine up until Sunday morning.  I woke up and noticed that I could not get into my NAS, I then powered it off and when it came back up, I was in this state of Booting.....  Checking root FS

I have been down since then and cannot get into my NAS.I tried an OS Reinstall even and nothing, it just boots up to the Booting... Checking root FS.  All of my drives are blank as well.

When I get home I was going to call NetGear Support as I need to get this fixed and then I will have the serial number.

Message 8 of 37
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Ah, so in your case did you run into this problem on an OS6 NAS e.g. 316/516, rather than on a legacy NAS e.g. Pro 6?

The system getting stuck at this point suggests a problem with the 4GB root FS.

Message 9 of 37

I have the Netgear ReadyNAS Pro Business with the Netgear 6OS. It has 6 5TB drives in it
Message 10 of 37
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well then don't call support. They can't help you with running OS6 on a legacy NAS.

I have sent you a PM

Message 11 of 37
Pete_C
Tutor

It's all,sorted with huge thanks to mdgm who has reinstalled the OS on the unit.

Message 12 of 37

Did the same for me too. Thanks! I wish I would have had a dump that I could tell what happened, I did notice that I am now on 6.4.2 so I think he updated that for me as well.
Message 13 of 37
Pete_C
Tutor

That's good to hear. 

Have you noticed an improvement with the response of your unit since he did the update? Mine seems a hell of a lot more responsive than it was previously!

Model: ReadyNASRNDP6620D|ReadyNAS Pro 6 12TB (6 x 2TB Desktop)
Message 14 of 37

Yes, so here is what I have noticed and Did.

I reinstalled Sickrage, Transmission, CouchPotato2 with no issues.  My issue that of "The sickrage share cannot be created", has gone away after I did a Factory Default, suggested by mdgm.  It took about 11 hours for it to reformat to Raid 5.  When I finally got on I was super excited and I noticed that the system was working a lot better then the 4.5 version that I had on before.  I did have to upgrade Python to 3.7.10 as the default was 3.7.3 and it had issues with getting the SSL2, SSL3, SSL4 from websites that had upgraded to that security.

Now here is the only thing that I am worried about.  The temperatures of the NAS have gone up, and I don't have the exacts from before but I know that they were not this high.  I reinstalled a new fan in the back of the unit that pushes more cfm (cubic feet per minute) but it did not seem to do a heck of a whole lot.  I have the CPU fan blowing in at the cpu, the back fan blowing into the system and the power fan on the bottom back blowing out.  I also have a fan that sits on the side and blows straight for the air hole to the CPU to pick it up.  Here are the current temps, and I am not doing anything on it right now.

House Temperature 70 and it sits in an open area with great air flow.

CPU FAN: 1622 RPM and it is some chinese fan.

System Fan 1721 RPM and I upgraded this one to this: http://www.microcenter.com/product/418817/JetFlo_120mm_Blue_LED_Computer_Case_Fan

CPU Temp 60 C / 140 F but I see it go up as high as 70 C

System 60 C / 140 F and I have seen this get to 68 C

Disk 1: 43 C / 109 F

Disk 2: 45 C / 113 F

Disk 3: 44 C / 111 F

Disk 4: 44 C / 111 F

Disk 5: 45 C / 113 F

Disk 6: 43 C / 109 F

Back-UPS XS 1500G, Battery Charge: 100% 38 min.

Now with that being said, The temperature gauge is Green and I have not seen it go to Yellow, So I am not super worried, but I would like to see it 15 degrees cooler.  I have been looking into intercooling this but I dont know if I can fit the fan in the case.  Thoughts?  Comments?

Message 15 of 37

And nevermind that share error is back.

Message 16 of 37
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

OSBuckeyes4Life, do you have a backup of your data?

Message 17 of 37

I do now. My NAS froze for no reason again last night. I had to hard power it off and came back up normal.
Message 18 of 37
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Looks like you've got quite a lot of apps on this unit. Do you still run into this problem if you disable the apps?

Message 19 of 37

i have never tried that as i did not know 4 apps was a lot.  it is curently frozen right now, i can see the ip on the front screen and it shows all drives, but RAIDar does not see it and nothing is loading webpage wise for it.  If i hard reset it like last time it comes right up but this keeps happening.

Message 20 of 37
masammut
Aspirant

Same happened to me. I have a Readynas pro 6 running os 6. Found it hung yesterday. Rebooted and I'm getting the same error - checking root Fs. Any tips how I can fix it please?
Message 21 of 37

Are you stuck on "Checking root FS"?  If so, you need one of these Netgear guys to remote in and fix it.  That is the only way around it.

Message 22 of 37
masammut
Aspirant

Hi mdgm,

I have the exact same problem - Can you help me out too please? I'm kinda freaking out that I lost all my stuff.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Message 23 of 37
masammut
Aspirant

Hi mdgm,

Pm'd you details as requested. NAS is in tech support mode. Do I need to port forward any ports to the NAS?
Cheers
Message 24 of 37
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Just rebooted your system.

I had to wipe the root volume and create a new volume. Your config is lost but the data volume is untouched.

Message 25 of 37
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 36 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements