× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Pro 6 - freezing on backup

Infinite
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Pro 6 - freezing on backup

I noticed my ReadyNAS Pro 6 Buisness Edition was acting up the other day. One of the 6 disks was dead and when I put in a new disk the ReadyNAS froze after 87.4% of the new disk was synced up. So I pull that disk and boot and I'm backup and running. Start the process over and same thing happens.

So, I get concerned and try to Backup the disk to my older backup ReadyNAS NV+. However, this too will freeze the Pro when it hits certain folders. I think that I have backup up everything that is critical. What is the next step?
Message 1 of 3
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Probably another of your disks is failing. So you may wish to figure out which one that is. You could start by looking at SMART+ stats for each disk.
Message 2 of 3
Infinite
Aspirant

You are correct. Long story short:
- ReadyNAS locked up
- rebooted, disk 4 reported as Dead
- Pulled Disk4 put in replacement disk. Sync to 87.4% and freeze, on reboot see smart errors on Disk 3.
- Repeat and same freeze point, more Smart errors on disk 3.
- Making onsite backup (I do have off-site backup but slow to recover)

Every time the device crashes I get some more Smart errors on Disk 3. As long as I don't access two folders the NAS stays online and has no more errors.

Here's the catch. I backed up more of the data to my old ReadyNAS NV+; however, after rsync-ing my 'backup' folder to the NV+ it now is unstable as well. So I am very suspect of the contents of the 'backup' folder. The NV+ froze as well and it locks up when checking the quota's while booting. I randomly pulled disk 4 on the NV+ and it can start but it is not stable for very long. I was able to have it online long enough to tell it to reboot and do a FS check, which it's 70% done.

At this point I just want to hunt down the bad data and either fix it or eliminate the files so that I can have stability and get the 6th disk back into my NV Pro and the 4th disk back in my NV+.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements