× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Pro 6 with 6.4 reporting a status of "Dead"

rjwerth
Luminary

ReadyNAS Pro 6 with 6.4 reporting a status of "Dead"

As the subject says, since putting 6.4 on, the system status is "Dead."  Oddly enough, everything seems to be fine except the case fan is not running very much.  Temps seem fine so that might be a feature...but the reporting system isn't happy about a fan going 0RPM.

Anyone else?

Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
pcmannen
Aspirant

Thanks for the info, this fixed the issue. I opened up my ReadyNAS Pro 6 and moved the System FAN connector to the unused slot, and the FAN doesn't stop anymore (and I no longer get FAN warnings/errors).

In Step 2 on the page below you can see the slot circled in. 

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12240/~/service-action-for-x86-readynas-pro-cpu-fan-sp...

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 13

All Replies
ATCIS
Tutor

@rjwerth wrote:

Anyone else?

Similar problems here.  See this post for more details: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/Fan-CPU-in-enclosure-Internal-speed-is-below-th...

Message 2 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Message 3 of 13
ATCIS
Tutor

@mdgm wrote:

You may find e.g. this thread useful: https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Beta-Release/Fan-CPU-Enclosure-Errors-on-Pro-after-upgradi...

Dear mdgm,

Thanks for the suggestion!  Unfortunately, the proposed solution in the link you provided did not apply in my case.  

Also, I don't know why the URL I inserted above says "Invalid Parameters Specified", but here it is again:  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/Fan-CPU-in-enclosure-Internal-speed-is-below-th...

EDIT:  I think my problem may stem from the early days of OS6 where we had to hack the performance tab with fancontrol and other mods to get that information to display properly. . .

Message 4 of 13
rjwerth
Luminary

It seems like a number of people are having the issue since 6.4 who hadn't before.  I know historically there have been issues with 6.x and fans from legecy boxes, but I've never had that problem until now.  I also didn't see any good solution...did I miss something?  Also, everyone else seems to have the error on their CPU fan.  Mine is on the case fan.  Strange!

Thanks.

Message 5 of 13
ATCIS
Tutor

@rjwerth wrote:

It seems like a number of people are having the issue since 6.4 who hadn't before.  I know historically there have been issues with 6.x and fans from legecy boxes, but I've never had that problem until now.  I also didn't see any good solution...did I miss something?  Also, everyone else seems to have the error on their CPU fan.  Mine is on the case fan.  Strange!

Thanks.

RE: I also didn't see any good solution...did I miss something?

Answer: If you did, then so did I.  I think our only course of action at this point is to just wait for the next update to be coded / tested and released.  I've see a few suggestions here and there.  Unfortunately, none of them have worked for me Man Frustrated 

Message 6 of 13
pcmannen
Aspirant

I have the same issue, but my system fan has stopped completely after the upgrade to 6.4. I've also had problems before with previous versions. Can this be a hw issue, maybe use the warranty?
Message 7 of 13
rjwerth
Luminary

Probably not a hardware issue. If you restart your device you will most likely see the fan turn on. That is what I'm seeing anyhow.
Message 8 of 13
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I had the same issue. I opened up my Pro 6 (Business) and move the system fan from the header it was on to the one that was open on the same controller board. I think the open one is call #3.  Either way this is the solution that was proposed for those with CPU fan issues.

Running 6.4.1 on Pro 6.

ScreenShot

Message 9 of 13
pcmannen
Aspirant

Thanks for the info, this fixed the issue. I opened up my ReadyNAS Pro 6 and moved the System FAN connector to the unused slot, and the FAN doesn't stop anymore (and I no longer get FAN warnings/errors).

In Step 2 on the page below you can see the slot circled in. 

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12240/~/service-action-for-x86-readynas-pro-cpu-fan-sp...

Message 10 of 13
howarddavidp
Aspirant

I am having the sam fan issue, I guess mine started after the 6.4 upgrade.

I don't think it's hardware since on reboot it spins fine...

I moved it to the 2nd fan header, we will see what happens.

David

Message 11 of 13
walshlink
Luminary

Message 12 of 13
rjwerth
Luminary

I was hoping 6.4.2 would fix the issue, but it was not meant to be.  (Yes, laziess on full display here..)

So I dragged my server out of the closet and switched the fan to the other header.  Problem solved!

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements