× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Pro Business unable to boot and access boot menu

mfinney
Apprentice

ReadyNAS Pro Business unable to boot and access boot menu

Hi there,

Followed the following thread to attempt to fix my boot issue which occured post an orderly shutdown of my Pro with OS 6.8.1.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/SOLVED-USB-firmware-recovery-steps-after-unresp...

However, I used the latest Radiator 4.2 recovery tool,  but stupidly misready the thread and instead of using a 6.8.1 firmware I used the latest 4.2.31 firmware.  Can't believe I misready the thread - pretty dumb of me!

It's good that my ReadyNAS now boots and the disks are now online post factory reset.  However, when I login to frontview/admin a mostly empty frame appears, can't do anything.  When I try to access frontview/shares it does allow me to change the admin password but that's it.  I've tried doing a boot menu OS reinstall, but that doesn't help. 

Albeit I can now boot, I get the distinct feeling the internal flash memory is probably corrupt/ incomplete.  I've also tried reflashing with radiator 4.2 recovery tool using the 6.8.1 firmware but the flash process fails.

Get the feeling I might a ruined my NAS.  Would really appreciate any suggestions from the experts out there that might help?

Model: ReadyNASRNDP6000|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
mfinney
Apprentice

MDGM did a great job in helping me fix this via PM.  My Pro is now back in action.  Hats off...

Many thanks!

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
mfinney
Apprentice

Just read a couple of other threads and it sounds like my EEPROM is messed up.  Does anyone know how to fix it for an RNDP6000?

Message 2 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

It sounds like what you did should have worked, especially if you did the USB recovery with 4.2.x a second time and another factory default.  I'm thinking that this may be a manifestation of whatever caused your NAS to not boot in the first place, not something you did.  So, it could be a harware problem.  Maybe one of the mods will have a look at your logs and (if you can get it into support mode) take a look inside.

Message 3 of 10
mfinney
Apprentice

@Sandshark wrote:

It sounds like what you did should have worked, especially if you did the USB recovery with 4.2.x a second time and another factory default.  I'm thinking that this may be a manifestation of whatever caused your NAS to not boot in the first place, not something you did.  So, it could be a harware problem.  Maybe one of the mods will have a look at your logs and (if you can get it into support mode) take a look inside.

Appreciate your response Sandshark - am hoping it's a one-off glitch, maybe some artefact of running OS6 on legacy x86 (an old v1 pro 6) and not a indemic hardware issue... 

There does appear to be a few people in the community with similar/ same issue which was resolved by reflashing internal flash.  However in doing this MDGM et al have acknowledge that there's a known issue which sometimes causes eeprom to be wiped.  The symptoms descibed by them appear to be identifical to mine: frontview partial load issue, garbled model name in Raidar per the attached JPG... 

As you say, am hoping one of the moderators will see this and offer to help - fingers crossed!

Message 4 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What boot issue did you have?

As there are side effects to doing USB Boot Recovery on legacy x86 and legacy ARM systems that shipped with RAIDiator firmware it's important to rule out other issues before doing USB Boot Recovery.

USB Boot Recovery is rarely needed.

Message 5 of 10
mfinney
Apprentice

Many thanks for replying to my PM mdgm. Boot issue and circumstance summarised below:

• The Pro 6 had been running OS 6.8.1 for approx a week post upgrade from OS 4.2.31 without issue
  • I'd been testing ReadyDR with my 316 without issue
  • I then shutdown the Pro from frontview to move it back to its server cupboard
  • I then powered on and was unable to boot - the screen was stuck on "ReadyNAS"
  • I then power off and attempted to access the boot menu by pressing the reset button with a paperclip, powering on and holding it pressed until boot menu appeared.  
  • I repeated the last step several times, holding the paperclip in for 15s, then 30s, then 1 minute..., however the screen would only display "ReadyNAS"

Since I was unable to boot or access the boot menu, I resorted to the USB recovery process to reflash my internal flash memory.  Hope I did the right thing...?

Kind regrards...

Message 6 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well there are other possibilities than the flash needing to be recovered with those symptoms. It could well be that USB Boot Recovery was needed but that may not be the case.

There can be problems like

Bad disk

Failing PSU

etc.

A good test to rule out a disk problem causing these symptoms is to power down and carefully remove the disks (label order) and see if you still can't access the boot menu.

In any case what's done is done. We can see about getting the EEPROM fixed.

Message 7 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

FYI, it takes nothing more than the application of 5V power in the NAS to show the ReadyNAS display.

Message 8 of 10
mfinney
Apprentice

MDGM did a great job in helping me fix this via PM.  My Pro is now back in action.  Hats off...

Many thanks!

Message 9 of 10
mfinney
Apprentice

THanks for your help too Sandshark...

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation