× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS RN104 (6.2.4) just doesn't seem to want to rebuild with new disk.

TheGMan
Aspirant

ReadyNAS RN104 (6.2.4) just doesn't seem to want to rebuild with new disk.

Hello all, hope someone can help.

I have had NV+ and Duo for many years, and recently had to change one of my NV+ units to an RN104 as the PSU failed in the NV+.

I duly backed up all the data, and installed the RN104 from scratch, with a complete new volume, using all the defaults (XRAID is on) with 4x2TB disks.

Now I want to swap them all out for 4TB disks which I have just purchased.  They are Seagate ST4000DM00 disks which are on the HCL.

I've removed the first 2TB disk from the RN104 and inserted one of the new 4TB disks.  The RN104 interface shows me the disk in the System > Volumes tab, I can see it in grey.  I can click it and format the disk after which time the RN104 tells me that it will be available for use in my volumes.  I do this, type FORMAT and it pauses for a time and seems to do that (I get no error) and....  everything just looks the same.

I can see all the specs from the drive - it's temp, no ATA errors, load cycle etc etc, it says the disk is "ONLINE" but the ReadyNAS just sits there and does nothing.  It doesn't error, it doesn't rebuild.

Appreciate there's the extra step of formatting over what would have been needed on an NV+, but I've done that 4 times now.  Am I missing something else?

In case there's a weird error with the disk the ReadyNAS isn't detecting, I've tried 3 of the 4 new disks now, and it's the same with them all.

Any assistance really appreciated.

G.

Message 1 of 5
EskenderNG
NETGEAR Employee

Hello,

There should not be the need to format the disc. The rebuild should start automatically assuming X-RAID is correctly activated. Have you done a Hot Swap? Have you tried rebooting the device?

If the backup is still stored somewhere else it might be more efficient to do a factory reset with all new 4 disks inserted instead of replacing them one after another.

Bye,

Eskender

Message 2 of 5
TheGMan
Aspirant

Hello,

Thanks for getting back to me.

No, I no longer have a backup of the data - I do not have 5TB of spare space and had to borrow storage temporarily.

Yes, I did a hot-swap - I just removed the 2TB drive and inserted the 4TB drive.

From your advice, I shut down the ReadyNAS - it took two attempts.  After the first time it was saying "Powering down.  Goodbye." (or whatever the wording on the LCD is) for about 5 minutes, it then just was back online and flashing "data: degraded" in the LCD - it didn't shut down.  The second time, it again took about 5 minutes, but did shut down.

I powered back up and it's saying "Recover data: 0.11%" in the LCD.

Thank you for your help.

I can't say I'm not concerned though - this all seems less stable and reliable than the old NV+'s at the moment...

But anyway, thanks so far.

G.

Message 3 of 5
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi TheGMan,

There is no need to format the new disk when it is inserted to the NAS. Just make sure it is empty and no partition. Once it is inserted to the NAS, the NAS will automatically resynch it with the existing disk. See vertical expansion how to's for more info.

Resynch may also take several hours, at least leave it half a day, maybe. If you have email alerts configured, you will recieve a notification on your email once done. You should also see it on the Volume status.

If it keeps failing even with other disks, it is best you contact support center to get soemone check on your NAS remotely and keep data intact. It is most likely for L3 escalation.

Regards,

Message 4 of 5
vandermerwe
Master

TheGMan

Is the data on your nas replaceable? If not then you need to find a way to back it up. Even a volume resync puts the other disks under stress and could lead to a disk failure during a resync.  This would lead to loss of data.  If you are going to upgrade disks one by one then there are 4 such events, increasing the risk you face.

An easier and quicker way to have done this would have been to setup fresh with all 4 new disks then restore from a backup.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements