× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS RN212 - Only 1 drive appears

justinbeck
Aspirant

ReadyNAS RN212 - Only 1 drive appears

I added two brand new 4TB drive to my RN212. I setup the RN212 as though it was new using ReadyCLOUD. The unit appears to be working fine however, when I go to the admin page and look under volumes, I only see a drive in bay 2. Looking at the front of the unit, the bay 2 light is on but the bay light 1 is not. I pulled the drive and put it back in; I heard the drive spin up but the light never lit and the admin/volumes page still doesn't show the additional drive.

Seems like that drive in bay 1 should show and the light should be on on the front of the unit. What's the best way to go about trouble shooting this to ensure everything is working as expected?

Model: RN212|2 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS RN212 - Only 1 drive appears

I am wondering if there might not be a solid connection between one of the drives and one of the SATA bays?  The "now I see it, now I don't" behavior sounds more mechanical than electrical to me.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@justinbeck wrote:

I added two brand new 4TB drive to my RN212. I setup the RN212 as though it was new using ReadyCLOUD. The unit appears to be working fine however, when I go to the admin page and look under volumes, I only see a drive in bay 2. Looking at the front of the unit, the bay 2 light is on but the bay light 1 is not. I pulled the drive and put it back in; I heard the drive spin up but the light never lit and the admin/volumes page still doesn't show the additional drive.

Seems like that drive in bay 1 should show and the light should be on on the front of the unit. What's the best way to go about trouble shooting this to ensure everything is working as expected?

You could try powering down, and try removing the disk in slot 1, and shifting disk 2 to slot 1.  Then power up, and see if the system boots.

Message 2 of 6
justinbeck
Aspirant

Thanks. I swapped the drives and it still only sees bay 2. Then I pulled the drive it previously had not been able to see (so the drive it WAS seeing, which was in bay 2, is now in bay 1) and rebooted again. In that configuration it doesn't see any disks at all. So it seems like there's something wrong with the chasis itself?

Message 3 of 6
justinbeck
Aspirant

Ths plot thickens. I put everything back the way it was (working drive in bay 2, blank drive in bay 1) and suddenly I see both drives! All I have on there is my time machine backup so I'm going to go ahead and have the ReadNAS format both drives and re-sync. It looks like, once that's done, it'll be in good working order. Anyone have an explanation of what might have happened here?

Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

I am wondering if there might not be a solid connection between one of the drives and one of the SATA bays?  The "now I see it, now I don't" behavior sounds more mechanical than electrical to me.

Message 5 of 6
justinbeck
Aspirant

I thought the same but I tried re-seating both drives and it made no difference. For now, it's plugging along without a problem. Seems like I shouldn't touch anything. Thanks for your help!

Model: RN212|2 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements