× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS RN314 with 8 TB disks reading false temperatures and shutting down

cengique
Aspirant

ReadyNAS RN314 with 8 TB disks reading false temperatures and shutting down

Hello,

We have recently replaced the 1 TB disks in our ReadyNAS unit with 8 TB Seagate disks and the upgrade went smoothly. However, since the upgrade, we're getting random automatic shutdowns of the whole unit. The logs show that this was because temperatures of different disks reach a critical point of 61 C.

I already set the fans to be "Balanced" and to even the maximal setting to "Cool". What is strange is that in the web interface, the SATA SMART information does not consistently show the disk temperatures. Sometimes the temperatures are blank and if I hover over the disk it shows "-1 C". Is there a known compatibility problem reading the SMART fields from these disks? Does anyone have a solution to this other than the unsafe option to uncheck the shutdown if the disks get too hot?

Thanks.

Cengiz

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@cengique wrote:

Hi!

Thanks for the link. I didn't have the time until now, and that thread is not marked as "OLD", but I can't see a newer one?

6.6.0 is now released.  You can manually download/install it, or wait for the update server ("check for updates") - likely next week.

The final 6.6.0 link is here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Firmware-Release-Notes/ReadyNAS-OS-6-6-0-now-available/td-...

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Message 2 of 8
cengique
Aspirant

Hi!

Thanks for the link. I didn't have the time until now, and that thread is now marked as "OLD", but I can't see a newer one?

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@cengique wrote:

Hi!

Thanks for the link. I didn't have the time until now, and that thread is not marked as "OLD", but I can't see a newer one?

6.6.0 is now released.  You can manually download/install it, or wait for the update server ("check for updates") - likely next week.

The final 6.6.0 link is here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Firmware-Release-Notes/ReadyNAS-OS-6-6-0-now-available/td-...

Message 4 of 8
cengique
Aspirant

Thanks! I downloaded it and will try it as soon as I complete my backups.

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Do remember to unzip the download, and install the img file.

Message 6 of 8
cengique
Aspirant

Thank you for that hint! I uploaded the 6.6.0 release and disk temperatures are now read continuously and they are being kept cool! I hope it will stay like this and I'll be watching it in the next few days.

Message 7 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thanks for the confirmation.

When disk manufacturers change things with new drives sometimes that does require a firmware update to address compatibility issues.

This is one of the reasons why we recommend keeping the firmware up to date. Of course 6.6.0 has only just been released.

It's worth noting that when we add disks to the compatibility list we would qualify them against the latest firmware at the time.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements