× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Temperature?

kcrossley
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Temperature?

What temperature does your ReadyNAS operate at? Will keeping the ReadyNAS cooler improve its life?
Message 1 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS Temperature?

There's a safe range of ReadyNAS temperature. The fan will automatically speed up if it needs to. So long as your NAS keeps within the safe temperature range for operation I think it should be fine.

Under System > Alerts > Settings you can configure the NAS to automatically shutdown if it exceeds a safe threshold. There is probably a larger acceptable range of temperature for when the NAS is off.
Message 2 of 13
kcrossley
Aspirant

Here are my temps. This is in the safe range, but I'm wondering if I should move the ReadyNAS to a cooler location within my home.

Disk 1: 104
Disk 2: 111
Disk 3: 109
Disk 4: 104

Fan: 2777
Temp 1: 92
Message 3 of 13
claykin
Aspirant

Provided those are F temp readings you're OK. No need to move the NAS unless you feel you want to try to achieve cooler temps.
Message 4 of 13
kcrossley
Aspirant

Are my temps normal or are they a little high or low?
Message 5 of 13
claykin
Aspirant

kcrossley wrote:
Are my temps normal or are they a little high or low?

Normal
Message 6 of 13
ChrisMc73
Aspirant

claykin wrote:
Provided those are F temp readings you're OK. No need to move the NAS unless you feel you want to try to achieve cooler temps.

Claykin,

My temps are similar, maybe a little higher up to 114 on a few (still in a normal range). My NV+ is in a mid sized wooden cabinet, where I have put my UPS, Router, Cable Modem and hidden the mess of cable & wires with all these devices. I had to drill (3) 1&1/2" holes in the back of it to run the cables. Im a little worried about that fan, it seems to run all the time, is that normal? Should I relocated the NV+ outside the cabinet, so that it has open air, and runs in a lower than triple digit range?

Device Description Status
Disk 1 Seagate ST31500341AS 1397 GB , 40 C / 104 F
Disk 2 Seagate ST31500341AS 1397 GB , 44 C / 111 F
Disk 3 Seagate ST31500341AS 1397 GB , 43 C / 109 F
Disk 4 Seagate ST31500341AS 1397 GB , 40 C / 104 F
Fan 1 3409 RPM
Temp 1 33.0 C / 91 F [Normal 0-60 C / 32-140 F]
UPS 1 CPS CP 1500C, Battery charge: 100%, 12 minutes
Message 7 of 13
claykin
Aspirant

From my experience the 1.5TB 7200.11 disks run warmer than many others. Your temps are OK. Seagate rates this disk up to 60C but most in industry say disks should never be in an environment above 55C. Still you are way below that.

Your fan is running a little fast, but its normal for the fan to always run on a Readynas.

How old is your NV+? If its older, it may be a good idea to blow out dust with compressed air. Just be sure to power down first and when removing disks, mark their respective locations. They MUST be returned to the same slot.

Also what version of RAIDIATOR is on your NV+?

Have you tried to recalibrate fan? SYSTEM > HEALTH menu.

Of course, if the NAS is in open air its likely to breathe cooler air which will allow the fan to spin slower. Try it and see what happens.
Message 8 of 13
ChrisMc73
Aspirant

claykin wrote:
From my experience the 1.5TB 7200.11 disks run warmer than many others. Your temps are OK. Seagate rates this disk up to 60C but most in industry say disks should never be in an environment above 55C. Still you are way below that.

Your fan is running a little fast, but its normal for the fan to always run on a Readynas.

How old is your NV+? If its older, it may be a good idea to blow out dust with compressed air. Just be sure to power down first and when removing disks, mark their respective locations. They MUST be returned to the same slot.

Also what version of RAIDIATOR is on your NV+?

Have you tried to recalibrate fan? SYSTEM > HEALTH menu.

Of course, if the NAS is in open air its likely to breathe cooler air which will allow the fan to spin slower. Try it and see what happens.

This NV+ is actually a brand new RMA'd one (maybe refurbed?), because my last one just died on me. So its not dusty at all. I'm on firmware 4.1.8-T9 (beata for OSX Lion issues), its working well.
I haven't tried the recalibrate fan option, I've seen it, and wondered, I guess I can try it, but not sure what that does or is for?
If my temps stay normal, and don't get any hotter over time I might just leave it in there, I have the option to move it outside the cabinet, to cool it off, when and if I need to.
I also open those cabinet doors periodically to let it go back down to double digits, but I'd rather just leave them closed and not worry.
Message 9 of 13
claykin
Aspirant

You should be fine as long as you don't mind the extra noise from the faster spinning fan.

I recommend you stress the NV+ a bit and see how much it heats up. Maybe setup some internal backup jobs from share to share and also do some large copy jobs simultaneously. That should heat those disks up a bit more.
Message 10 of 13
ChrisMc73
Aspirant

Ok, I'll give that a shot. I don't mind the fan, its quiet once I shut those cabinet doors, part of why I want it in there. I just don't want to stress it too much if I don't have to.
Message 11 of 13
joeker1709
Aspirant

may I post my temperature values here followed by some questions:
Disk1 (Hitachi 1862GB): 51C/123F
Disk2 (Hitachi 1862GB): 54C/129F
Disk3 (Samsung 931GB): 47C/116F
Disk4 (Samsung 931GB): 40C/104F
Fan (Noctua NF-B9): 1875rpm
Temp1: 44C/111F

Before I installed the Noctua-Fan (2 days ago) I had more or less the same values with the original fan (but double speed and triple noise).

Since a few months I get warning E-Mails because of Disk2 (high temperature) - it reaches 55C/131F to 56C/132F. Wouldn't it be a good feature for next Raidiator-Version to set the lowest temperature value which causes the system to send warning E-Mails? If I could set the minimum temperature to 57C/133F I'd never get an E-Mail and the temperature would be still ok, I think.

Are the temperatures still ok? My NAS is located at a quite hot place (in summer exceeds 30C), therefore the temperatures may rise a bit higher than usual....?

In the future I will try to buy disks which don't get too hot. Can anybody make a brand comparism (two different disks of same size in the same cabinet) or do you know which disks are known for not getting too hot?

At which temperature does the NAS switch off if this option is checked?

thank you everybody!
regards joe
Message 12 of 13
joeker1709
Aspirant

wow.... I didn't expect that:

with the panel open and 10 minutes later:
Disk 1: 46C
Disk 2: 48C
Disk 3: 42C
Disk 4: 35C