× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Ultra 2 boot problem

Kakik5280
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Ultra 2 boot problem

Hello there,

I've bought a ReadyNAS Ultra2 3 years ago and I didn't have any problem with it until now.

It don't boot anymore.

I'll try to explain clearly.

I can power it on, fan seems to be functionnal, the Power led is Blue and I wait for a while.

Then the Activity led and both Disk 1 and Disk 2 led are lit. But I cannot access the share.

RAIDAr tell me there is no NETGEAR hardware on my networK.

Then, I'm not able to access my data anymore.

Since my drive are in RAID 1, I've tried to plug only one HDD, restart the NAS and after the boot process only the Drive LED, corresponding to the HDD I Plugged, is lit. But still have no access and not visible on RAIDAr.

I've tried with the other HDD on the other slot, the right LED is lit but still no access.a

I've seen on manual how to do a factory reset or OS reinstall.

But I don't want to loose my data. Could you help me to retrieve my data befor doing these steps ?

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Kakik5280
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS Ultra 2 boot problem

Hello @JennC,

Thanks for the answer but I got the data using Linux Reader.

Therefore I've tried to format the 2 drives with the Default factory boot mode but it was running for more than 24 hours and never finished.

I tried to format drive into my computer with windows disk manager and I succeed.

I assume the HDD are ok and the NAS should be dead.

Thanks for your time.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

If you start up the NAS with no disks installed, does RAIDar see it?  If not, you have a more basic hardware problem (perhaps a bad NIC) and the OS reinstall wouldn't help.

Check your warranty status right away - the ultra warranty is 3 years, and if you are lucky you might have a few weeks left.

Message 2 of 7
Kakik5280
Aspirant

Robot Sad Bought on September 2012 ... 

Message 3 of 7
Kakik5280
Aspirant

I put one of the hard drive to my computer with a SATA to USB adapter and I manage to read data using linux reader.

Then I'm backuping the data to another place before going further. 

I will try the NAS with no disk at all to see if it will be vsible.

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Kakik5280 wrote:

I put one of the hard drive to my computer with a SATA to USB adapter and I manage to read data using linux reader.

Unfortunately, I don't think linux reader works with the ultra.

Message 5 of 7
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Kakik5280,

ReadyNAS formats drives to EXT3. To recover data from the drive/s you may need to mount it to a Linux computer. This procedure is beyond NETGEAR scope of support as they do not have training for this since you will be dealing with the disks/drive's settings. 

You may also check post of Dekkit on the forum link below as a guide: 

Regards,
Message 6 of 7
Kakik5280
Aspirant

Hello @JennC,

Thanks for the answer but I got the data using Linux Reader.

Therefore I've tried to format the 2 drives with the Default factory boot mode but it was running for more than 24 hours and never finished.

I tried to format drive into my computer with windows disk manager and I succeed.

I assume the HDD are ok and the NAS should be dead.

Thanks for your time.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements