× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Ultra 2 plus Corrupt root

Morris2000
Tutor

ReadyNAS Ultra 2 plus Corrupt root

Readynas ultra 2.
2 disk System was working fine. Was told there was a new firmware update. Did the update and now system is not working. Corrupt root.
Tried factory reset. Disk check all fine but get to setup and choose a raid type then it gets corrupt root. Tried factory reset with each single disk. Same problem.

Tried usb recovery tool. Same problem.
Firmware broke working NAS. Any ideas?
Model: ReadyNAS RNDU2120|ReadyNAS Ultra 2
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
Morris2000
Tutor

Thanks all for the help and advice. In the end a kindly netgear support remoted in using using tech support mode and fixed it. I presume it was the firmware on the flash, nothing else has changed.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Attach the disks to a Windows PC (either SATA or with a USB adaptor), and unformat the drives.  One way is to use Seatools or Lifeguard to zero the disk.  Or use windows disk manager - selecting each "volume" and deleting it.

Then reinsert the drives, and boot the NAS.  It will do a factory install (since the drives are blank).

Message 2 of 10
Morris2000
Tutor

Tried the windows way - Both drives "unallocated" on windows - Corrupt Root

Used Lifeguard to check and Zero fill the drives - Still corrupt root

Is there a way to reinstall firmware onto the internal flash? Seems to me that may be the issue?

Message 3 of 10
Arafel
Aspirant

I am having the same issue, my ultra 2 no longer will boot after the latest firmware update.  I'm afraid I have lost all the data on it unfortunately.

Message 4 of 10
Morris2000
Tutor

Arafel.
The data wasn't the problem since I managed to recover that. Just can't get the damn thing to reinstall.
For the data I used UFS explorer pro to reform the raid on my windows machine and then copied the data that i required. Reclaime also works well and is cheaper and also easier to use.
Message 5 of 10
Morris2000
Tutor

Sorry. They both cost the same it seems. There are also quite a few posts online about using a linux machine to mount the drives. You can try and chek those out too.
Message 6 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@Arafel wrote:

I am having the same issue, my ultra 2 no longer will boot after the latest firmware update.  I'm afraid I have lost all the data on it unfortunately.

The problem here is more complicated than that.  Can you start a new thread on your problem?  It gets too confusing when multiple folks with similar (or even identical) problems are active on the same thread - basically it's too hard to track who has tried what.

@Morris2000 wrote:
Arafel.
The data wasn't the problem since I managed to recover that. Just can't get the damn thing to reinstall.
For the data I used UFS explorer pro to reform the raid on my windows machine and then copied the data that i required. Reclaime also works well and is cheaper and also easier to use.

R-Linux for windows is free, and should handle RAID-1 ( http://www.r-tt.com/free_linux_recovery/ ).  It won't do btrfs, but ext is used in 4.2.x firmware.

You can also try paid (per-incident) support at my.netgear.com.  Generally these issues are related to the OS partition, and not the data.  Support can generally repair the OS partition.

Message 7 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@Morris2000

What firmware were you running, and what did you update it to? 

Message 8 of 10
Morris2000
Tutor

Thanks all for the help and advice. In the end a kindly netgear support remoted in using using tech support mode and fixed it. I presume it was the firmware on the flash, nothing else has changed.

Message 9 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes, the firmware on the flash was corrupt.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements