× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Volume Dead - but files still there in SSH

polysemous
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Volume Dead - but files still there in SSH

I noticed a few days ago that I was unable to access any of my SMB shares on the ReadyNAS.  Yesterday I finally had some time to check things out and found that under Volume Settings, Frontview is reporting:

• Configuration: RAID Level X-RAID2, 4 disks

I did not receive any alert emails, and the FrontView status says "No Logs Exist.".  The front of the ReadyNas shows 4 green LEDs for all 4 disks and shows 1.8TB of 8TB free.  I restarted the ReadyNas from Frontview, checking the "Perform volume scan on next boot." option--but the results are the same.

Luckily, I installed the SSH add-on a few years ago and I can still log in.  It looks like the C volume is intact and all of my files are there... Many files are also still accessible from a browser (http://radynasurl/shares/)

Any ideas what I can do next?

Message 1 of 4
polysemous
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Volume Dead - but files still there in SSH

Solved it..

My OS volume was out of space.

In addition to SSH, I also installed Crashplan (backup service) a few years ago.... it seems that Crashplan has slowly been adding content to its working directory until the volume became full.

I cleared some space from the crashplan directory, restarted the ReadyNAS and everything seems to be working correctly again.

Message 2 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@polysemous wrote:

I cleared some space from the crashplan directory, restarted the ReadyNAS and everything seems to be working correctly again.

You might not be done with this yet.  Have you seen this thread?  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Backing-up-to-your-ReadyNAS/Crashplan-JRE-update-needed/td-p/985781

Also, I'd strongly recommend moving crashplan's cache to the C volume.

Message 3 of 4
polysemous
Aspirant

Thanks!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements