× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Ultra 4 extremely slow replacing disk

whartonw
Guide

ReadyNAS Ultra 4 extremely slow replacing disk

Firmware RAIDiator 4.2.31

Increasing capacity by changing out one disk at the time, going from four 2-TB disks to four 3-TB disks.

Estimated time to resync first disk is 350+ hours?!!!  At this rate, it'll take a month to replace the four disks.

Can this be right?

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS Ultra 4 extremely slow replacing disk

The estimate is often way off, it should complete within 24 hours.

If you are upgrading all four disks, it usually is faster to back up the data, do a factory reset with all the new disks in place, and then restore the data from the backup.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

The estimate is often way off, it should complete within 24 hours.

If you are upgrading all four disks, it usually is faster to back up the data, do a factory reset with all the new disks in place, and then restore the data from the backup.

Message 2 of 3
whartonw
Guide

Thanks, Stephen, for your quick, and anxiety-reducing, reply.  You, of course, were correct.

My panic started when the job was 3% done after 10 hours.  FYI, turns out there was a backup job running that must have been eating up resources; I stopped the backup, and the re-sync completed in your predicted 24 hours total.

Thanks for your suggestion re:  replacing all four disks at once.  My problem is that the Ultra 4 is my backup device, and I don't have anything with sufficient capacity to back it up.  Thus the one-at-a-time method.

Your presence on the forum is a real service to the community.  Thank you for your committment.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements