× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Does Not Show Up On Windows 10 Network ... But Did At First

HBGChristo
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Does Not Show Up On Windows 10 Network ... But Did At First

RE: ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Does Not Show Up On Windows 10 Network ... But Did At First

At first the ReadyNAS 6 showed up and then it didn't. I restarted, switched the Network on and then off and back on ... but it still wouldn't show the files up.

The ReadyNAS-Ultra-6 appears ... but the files are not available.

Trying to locate the correct Windows 10 instructional ... or if there is something more fundamentally different between Netgear OS's which I can correct on the Windows side.

I am able to see the files from my Mac Computers ... but the single Windows 10 machine is having trouble; are there some walkthroughs to double check if I need to set up a HomeGroup or WorkGroup ... or if it's related to the Firewall or other interferences which can switch if off by default.

Will post answer if I get it first. Thanks.

Model: ReadyNAS RNDU6000|ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
HBGChristo
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Does Not Show Up On Windows 10 Network ... But Did At First

Thankyou kindly for pushing me over the line there:

Screen Shot 2018-02-14 at 7.53.30 am.png 

The case of the disappearing ReadyNAS Ultra 6 on Window 10 has been solved.

I will confirm file transfers are successful ... just a second ... yes.

A few questions: Why was it appearing at the beginning, and then suddenly refusing?

IF SMB 1.0 has been so unacceptable for so long ... surely the red flags would be waving a little louder on Windows 10?

Also why the Macs do not appear to require identification, and now this PC on a private internal ethernet network requires ID seems odd ? Is it ?

Either way, thankyou.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 12

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Does Not Show Up On Windows 10 Network ... But Did At First

OS 6 systems use WS-Discovery, OS 4.2 uses the legacy NetBios Discovery.   If you haven't converted your Ultra to run OS 6, then you should research NetBios.

You should match the workgroup setting on the NAS with the workgroup setting on the PCs.  Homegroups don't matter to the NAS - I'm not sure if they matter to Windows-10, but I haven't set them up on my own network.

FWIW, Windows Discovery has always been hit-or-miss (even with NetBios).   I believe it's really a longstanding Microsoft issue.  Your experience (Macs work fine, Windows doesn't) reinforces that for me.  And since the Macs are working, it seems unlikely to be a firewall or network issue. You can work around the discovery problems, by having folks add desktop shortcuts to the NAS, or by adding it as a network location, so it shows up in File Explorer directly.

wrote:

The ReadyNAS-Ultra-6 appears ... but the files are not available.

This of course is not about discovery, it's about access.

OS 4.2 systems only support SMB 1.0 - which Microsoft is deprecating.  So one thing to check is whether the SMB 1.0 client is enabled in your Windows 10 systems.  If not, the simplest fix is to turn it on.   If you enter "Turn Windows Features on or off" in the windows search bar, you should see the settings come up.  Click on that, and look for SMB 1.0/CIFS.  The screenshot below shows both the client and the server enabled, but you only need the client to access the NAS.

SMB1.png

Enabling SMB 1.0 does require you to accept it's security risks.  There is a experimental support for SMB 2.0 in OS 4.2, but it requires SSH access to enable it.  I think the better approach would be to convert your ultra to OS-6, which supports SMB 3.0.  Netgear doesn't support running OS 6 on your NAS, but many people here have done it.

Another common issue with Windows is the handling of NAS credentials.  Microsoft has been tightening up guest access along with deprecating SMB 1 (both were triggered by the WannaCry malware last year).  If SMB 1.0 is enabled in the PC, then the access might be related to credentials.  Try this test:  Enter CMD, and then type

net use * /delete

net use t: \\nas-ip-address\C /user:admin nas-admin-password

using the real NAS ip address and admin password.  Be careful on the slash direction and the spaces.

The first command terminates any open SMB sessions.  This is needed because Windows only allows one set of credentials to be used with the NAS, and if there is an open SMB session that doesn't use the NAS admin credentials, the second command will fail.  If it prompts for confirmation, let it proceed.

The second command attempts to map the NAS data volume (called C in OS 4.2 systems) to drive letter T.  This requires the NAS admin credentials.  Also if you are using the default admin password of netgear1, you will need to change the admin password first (and reboot the NAS).  Netgear only lets you access the data volume over SMB if you've changed the admin password.

If this second command works, then you should enter NAS credentials into the Windows Credential Manager.  These should use a user account set up on the NAS (unless you are using AD integration on the NAS).  You can use admin, but it might be prudent to use one or more NAS user accounts.  Another alternative approach is to set up user accounts on the NAS that use the same credentials as the user PC logons (both username and password).

Message 2 of 12
HBGChristo
Aspirant

Thankyou for extended response, just to clarify is there a plain setting in Windows 10 to re enable SMB 1.0.

We are talking a simple internal network, so why would it have worked at all ... if SMB 1.0 suddenly falls out of favour ?

I can't upgrade to the newer Netgear OS, Netgear does not allow it. Hopefully they realise this isn't fair, and now appears to be sabotaging their own gear. 

My files are currently stuck there, albeit with redundancy, but I can't clean sweep it right now ... 

"4.2 systems only support SMB 1.0 - which Microsoft is deprecating. " I don't understand why Windows 10 would not be able to fix or patch SMB 1.0 if this is the case.

Still reading your response. Hopefully I will resolve.

Message 3 of 12
HBGChristo
Aspirant

About ReadyNASHacking up to Netgear OS 6, is there a path to do it WITHOUT cleansweeping the server ?

Thanks again.

Message 4 of 12
StephenB
Guru

wrote:

Thankyou for extended response, just to clarify is there a plain setting in Windows 10 to re enable SMB 1.0.

"4.2 systems only support SMB 1.0 - which Microsoft is deprecating. " I don't understand why Windows 10 would not be able to fix or patch SMB 1.0 if this is the case.

I posted the screen shot of that "plain setting".  If the box next to the SMB 1.0 client is checked, it is enabled.

The security issues in SMB 1.0 are fundamental, so they couldn't be fixed in the client alone.  It doesn't support encryption, and the authentication method is vulnerable man-in-the-middle attacks.  The core protocol is ancient (early 90s) and goes back to a time when security wasn't on anyone's radar.

Microsoft did patch it over the years, but the real fix is SMB 3.0.  But your NAS is end-of-life, and Netgear announced it was discontinuing OS 4.2 firmware development quite a while ago.  Back-porting SMB 3.0 (or even completing the back-port of SMB 2.0) to it's old software is a pretty big project.  I don't expect Netgear to take it on.  OS 6 conversion is the only way to get there right now (unless you buy a new NAS).

wrote:

About ReadyNASHacking up to Netgear OS 6, is there a path to do it WITHOUT cleansweeping the server ?

No.  One reason is that the disks are formatted differently - using a completely different file system.  So it requires a factory default, which destroys your data and all your settings.

The conversion is reversible, but the reversal also destroys data and settings.

Message 5 of 12
HBGChristo
Aspirant

So these are the selections I have made

Screen Shot 2018-02-14 at 1.46.04 am.png

I am testing now.

Message 6 of 12
HBGChristo
Aspirant

As you can see, the Server exists/ populates:

Screen Shot 2018-02-14 at 1.50.57 am.png

Beyond these two, I'm not sure what must more be done:

Screen Shot 2018-02-14 at 1.53.29 am.pngScreen Shot 2018-02-14 at 1.55.02 am.png

I can try the idea of creating HomeGroups and WorkGroups but Windows 10 seems to be resistant to that anyway, and as I said it was working.

Message 7 of 12
HBGChristo
Aspirant

Aftering trying to test Homegroup:

Screen Shot 2018-02-14 at 1.59.48 am.png

Message 8 of 12
HBGChristo
Aspirant

Apologies these images showed up in my browser then DAKd after ... will re upload

Message 9 of 12
StephenB
Guru

The network connection needs to be private, so double check that.  I can't quite tell from your screen shot.

Don't bother with homegroups (they don't matter for the NAS).  Workgroups do.

Right-click on "This PC" and select properties.  You'll see "Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings" about halfway down the screen.  You can select "change settings" and then "network id".

On the NAS, look in "security", then "security mode".  The mode you want is "user", and there's a place there to enter the workgroup.

Also, you do need to reboot the PC after you enable the SMB v1 client.

Message 10 of 12
HBGChristo
Aspirant

Thankyou kindly for pushing me over the line there:

Screen Shot 2018-02-14 at 7.53.30 am.png 

The case of the disappearing ReadyNAS Ultra 6 on Window 10 has been solved.

I will confirm file transfers are successful ... just a second ... yes.

A few questions: Why was it appearing at the beginning, and then suddenly refusing?

IF SMB 1.0 has been so unacceptable for so long ... surely the red flags would be waving a little louder on Windows 10?

Also why the Macs do not appear to require identification, and now this PC on a private internal ethernet network requires ID seems odd ? Is it ?

Either way, thankyou.

Message 11 of 12
StephenB
Guru

I glad you resolved it.

@HBGChristo wrote:

Access (transferring files) is different from discovery (showing up in the network list).  When discovery fails, you can still reach the NAS by entering \\hostname or \\nas-ip-address in the file explorer address bar.  And as you learned, you can have access issues even when the NAS is discovered.

Discovery of linux systems has always been a bit hit-or-miss with Windows, and over the years many people have seen their NAS suddently disappear (or re-appear) from the network list for no apparent reason.  In most cases that's unexplained (and I have looked in many forums for information on that).  I suspect that Apple's discovery implementation is closer to Linux (since underneath the GUI their OS is similar).

@HBGChristo wrote:

I've seen a lot of red flags waving on this, so perhaps it depends on what you follow.

Microsoft initially announced their plans to deprecate SMB 1 in 2013.  The last Windows system that only supported SMB 1 was Windows Server 2003 (which Microsoft stopped supporting in 2015).   So from Microsoft's point of view they provided a very long runway for phasing it out.  https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/josebda/2015/04/21/the-deprecation-of-smb1-you-should-be-plannin...

Still, they left SMB 1 on by default, so they didn't seem to be in any hurry.  That immediately changed when WannaCry Ransomware struck last year.  https://redmondmag.com/articles/2017/05/18/more-advice-on-disabling-windows-smb-1.aspx

A few months after WannaCry, Microsoft began rolling out releases that didn't enable SMB 1 by default, and which disabled SMB 1 silently if it wasn't being used.  In addition they've been tightening up guest access to Network Shares - which is why I recommend using explicit credentials instead of depending on that working.

There are plenty of other articles and forum posts on this topic in a lot of places.

@HBGChristo wrote:

Also why the Macs do not appear to require identification

I'm not a Mac owner, so I don't know the details on how OSX handles SMB.  And your Macs might also be using the AFP protocol if that is enabled on the NAS.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements