× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Tivo Not Archiving -- KUID problem?

ssanchez
Guide

Re: ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Tivo Not Archiving -- KUID problem?

I've had about a dozen storage solutions. I recently bought a competitor's unit desiring to consolidate into one unit. I wound up returning that unit because the support was non-existent. I bought the ReadyNAS Ultra unit because I had an older ReadyNAS Duo that is still going strong. it seems to me that Netgear could OWN this area since they have good products. Hate to see them get mired down because of some software bug or support administration problems. In my experience their hardware is rock solid and their features put them ahead of many others. I really hope they will put people on this as they seem to have a strong commitment to the ReadyNAS line.

In fairness, it's tough to work across people's networks and within another company's product (TiVo). Still, the TiVo support issue is one of those features that makes one choose ReadyNAS over other competitors. That's why I bought mine. Now it's not working for one of the reasons I purchased the device. Hope Netgear will figure out the problem soon!
Message 26 of 84
denarius1
Aspirant

I predict it will be resolved in about a month.

I've had my ReadyNAS Ultra 2 Plus for about 4 months and, aside from the month it took to resolve a post-update issue of not being able to see the media files via CIFS, I have liked it a lot. The first-line support techs are attentive, courteous, and eager to help, but when the issue was not apparent to them the process of moving it toward a resolution seemed dysfunctional to me (that is, they have support administration problems). But eventually the issue gets into the right hands and it gets resolved.
Message 27 of 84
ReadyMark
Tutor

Well I continue to struggle on this. Can't get port mapping changed to give Netgear access to see the "insides" but since so many have the problem, like others have stated I am not sure why they need access but I am willing to try - I just need some more technical guidance that does not seem to come easily from Netgear but I can understand they can't know all the various setups. All mac support forums and manuals do not seem to match the current iteration of Airport Utility and I have an Airport Extreme.

Also, note to Jackohound - I am game to work with you or follow your trials with Galleon - start another thread or add to this one to see if that can help us.

I will keep posting my progress until this is resolved - very frustrating......
Message 28 of 84
ssanchez
Guide

The TiVo support feature will only appeal to a subset of ReadyNAS users which means it may only get limited attention. Suggest anyone who bought your unit wanting this feature contact Netgear support periodically requesting their attention getting this advertized-but-not-working feature fixed. Squeeky wheel and all that.
Message 29 of 84
jonbig
Aspirant

Here's an idea for self diagnosis of the issue:

Browse to this link on the TiVoHD that works ant the Tivo Premiere that doesn't:

https://<your tivo ip>:443/TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=%2FNowPlaying

(user tivo, password is your Tivo Media Key)

save the xml you get back and examine the two for differences that might cause this problem.

That might speed the ReadyNAS engineers to a solution.
Message 30 of 84
laszlog1
Aspirant

Hi all,

I'm fortunate enough to have aa TIVO HD (series 3),a Tivo Premiere, and a Tivo Elite.

I just bought a Ultra 6 Plus, and I see the following:

If i put in a Media Key for the three devices. The Tivo HD is the only one that tries to back up/archive

The others fail with the errors youi all are getting
Message 31 of 84
denarius1
Aspirant

What version of software is your Tivo Premiere running? Mine is on v14.9.2.2-01-2-748.

On the tivocommunity forum I read that a later version is being pushed, and many already have it.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sh ... p?t=481338

In my dream, this tivo update restores the old way of indicating KUID, and after I receive it from Tivo my ReadyNAS starts archiving KUIDs again.

Is there anybody here who has a Tivo Premiere running the new version 20.2.x who might tell me definitively whether or not to stop this dreaming?

Thanks!
Message 32 of 84
Impulse0022
Aspirant

I have the 20.2 version on my TiVo Premiere XL and unfortunately I am still getting the errors mentioned in this thread. My guess is that TiVo changed something and Netgear needs to update something on their end to resolve this issue.
Message 33 of 84
denarius1
Aspirant

Drat!

Thanks, Impulse0022.
Message 34 of 84
scoombs
Aspirant

Same. 20.2 on Elite and same behavior as before.
Message 35 of 84
Impulse0022
Aspirant

I only have a TiVo running 20.2-01-2-748 but below are the results from accessing https://<your tivo ip>:443/TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=%2FNowPlaying as someone suggested earlier. Hopes this help someone figure out what the underlying issue is.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<TiVoContainer xmlns="http://www.tivo.com/developer/calypso-protocol-1.6/">
<Details>
<ContentType>x-tivo-container/tivo-videos</ContentType>
<SourceFormat>x-tivo-container/tivo-dvr</SourceFormat>
<Title>Now Playing</Title>
<LastChangeDate>0x4F1569CC</LastChangeDate>
<TotalItems>39</TotalItems>
<UniqueId>/NowPlaying</UniqueId>
</Details>
<SortOrder>Type,CaptureDate</SortOrder>
<GlobalSort>Yes</GlobalSort>
<ItemStart>0</ItemStart>
<ItemCount>16</ItemCount>
<Item>
<Details>
<ContentType>x-tivo-container/folder</ContentType>
<SourceFormat>x-tivo-container/tivo-dvr</SourceFormat>
<Title>Pawn Stars</Title>
<LastChangeDate>0x4F1569CC</LastChangeDate>
<TotalItems>12</TotalItems>
<LastCaptureDate>0x4F1523B2</LastCaptureDate>
<UniqueId>96873</UniqueId>
</Details>
<Links>
<Content>
<Url>https://192.168.1.3:443/TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=%2FNowPlaying%2F96873</Url>
<ContentType>x-tivo-container/folder</ContentType>
</Content>
<CustomIcon>
<Url>urn:tivo:image:folder</Url>
<ContentType>image/*</ContentType>
<AcceptsParams>No</AcceptsParams>
</CustomIcon>
</Links>
</Item>
<Item>
</TiVoContainer>
Message 36 of 84
denarius1
Aspirant

sasanchez wrote:
The TiVo support feature will only appeal to a subset of ReadyNAS users which means it may only get limited attention. Suggest anyone who bought your unit wanting this feature contact Netgear support periodically requesting their attention getting this advertized-but-not-working feature fixed. Squeeky wheel and all that.

Following this sensible suggestion, I tested whether my post-90-day configuration support still included posting issues via the Netgear support site, and opened a ticket about this issue.

Now that I've received a response from a 2nd Level Tech Support person with requests for action on my part, I am trying to decide whether or not to bother continuing the process. The response shows zero awareness of the fact that this issue is shared by multiple users and had a distinct starting point which logically indicates a change in the way Tivo indicates KUID. I am asked to start the process with an OS reinstall, then to open my system for remote access by Netgear support.

I have the feeling that they already have enough test cases to study in order to deliver a fix. In fact, I suspect a single in-house Tivo Premiere would give them all the info they need.

I am reluctant to do an OS reinstall that I think is useless and could lead to new issues. Maybe I will just wait for the fix to come down the line.
Message 37 of 84
scoombs
Aspirant

Just put it into remote support mode (which is easy), then tell the engineer the OS is new install (it is, you did it within the past 90 days). If he finds something while poking around, we all benefit.
Message 38 of 84
DNA600412
Aspirant

Please, please, continue. I raised a ticket at the end of 2009 that ultimately resolved in the TiVo functionality getting fixed in early 2010. However, I was out of support period and ended up paying $100.

Thanks in advance.
David
Message 39 of 84
jackohound
Aspirant

I have had an open ticket since 30-Dec-2011. I refused to do an OS reinstall since my system is already current; I got no pushback on that. I have setup my NAS for remote access. I provided full details on my NAS setup, Tivo versions, etc. I have had about 10 back and forth communications with several level 2 tech support folks, but it has always been them asking for actions or information from me. The Netgear tech support team is polite and responsive, but, there has been zero information provided by tech support. Despite repeated requests, they still cannot tell me if this Tivo Premiere/Elite problem is or is not a known issue. They cannot tell me if they have or have not done any testing with Tivo Premiere/Elite.

I'll continue to ping them every week or so and keep the ticket open, but this is no longer important to me. Because of Netgear's slow response, I have moved on to Galleon which offers all the same key Tivo features, is open source, runs on the ReadyNAS, and actually seems a better solution. It is not as user-friendly to get setup, though. I'm looking for someone with basic technical skills (comfortable with basic linux command shell, run apt-get to install some extras, using vi to edit a few text files, etc.) to give Galleon install a try. Because Galleon uses Java, this invitation is limited to x86 (Ultra) ReadyNAS boxes.
Message 40 of 84
jackohound
Aspirant

I got another polite email from my level 2 tech support contact yesterday, but they still have no information to offer on this issue. I have no idea when Netgear will acknowledge the problem or provide a fix.

I've created a separate thread (with instructions) for those interested in trying Galleon on the ReadyNAS.
http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=60616&p=339924#p339924
Message 41 of 84
alexofindy
Aspirant

Just to add my name to the list of users with this problem. I have the same issue. I have a Readynas Ultra6 Plus and a Tivo Premiere XL. Just as the folks who have already contributed to this thread have found, my Tivo stopped archiving about a month and a half ago, with the same symptoms.

Netgear: please fix or at least post a comment so we know you're out there working on the issue.

Thanks!
Message 42 of 84
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

We'll have this fixed in the next release. I can try to get an addon put together to address the issue within the next couple days.
Message 43 of 84
Bitzerj
Guide

That would be great! Thanks.
Message 44 of 84
DNA600412
Aspirant

If you need a beta-tester I'm happy to help.
Message 45 of 84
alexofindy
Aspirant

Thanks very much for responding, Skywalker! Just knowing you folks are aware of the problem and working on a fix is reassuring and much appreciated.
Message 46 of 84
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

Here we go: ReadyTiVo 1.3.8. I'll be monitoring this thread, so please post back if you run into any problems with this version. Thanks for your patience!
Message 47 of 84
DNA600412
Aspirant

Skywalker ... it didn't work for me. Thanks for trying.
I stopped ReadyDLNA, installed the update file, rebooted the ReadyNAS and re-started the TiVo archiving.
I got the same error messages, e.g.:
[2012/01/24 13:36:39] tivo_utils.c:256: info: Law & Order: Los Angeles (Playa Vista) is no longer KUID (expires 2038-01-19T03:14:00Z). Skipping.
BTW ... I'm in US Central time zone.
I worked with a ReadyNAS engineer December 2010 and Jan 2011 to help fix the previous issues. They provided a debug version and I then provided logs. Can I help?

David
Message 48 of 84
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

Okay, that addon image I linked to has been replaced by a newer version. There was a timezone-related issue that we found, and I'm pretty sure that's what you saw. So please give the new addon a shot.
Message 49 of 84
DNA600412
Aspirant

Thanks Skywalker.
It installed OK and is now busy archiving from my TiVos. It has 2+ months of archiving to do, so it will take a few hours to complete.
I'll post back when it completes ... hopefully successfully.
David
Message 50 of 84
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements