× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Ultra 6+ does not detect removed disk

Tinu
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Ultra 6+ does not detect removed disk

Hi

I have a problem with my ReadyNAS Ultra 6+. 2 days ago, a disk failure was detected, disk dead. On the device, slot #5 was like [X].

[1][2][3]
[4][X][6]

HDS723030ALA640 is on the top of the HCL (http://www.readynas.com/?page_id=82) for the ReadyNAS Ultra 6+. So I bought a new one, pulled the dead one today, and replaced it with the new one (disks were removed/added while the unit was powered on, running, and accessible). What happened: nothing... Still showing above picture. But on the device display:

[1][2][3]
[4][5][6]

As it should be. I then removed the disk and rebooted with an empty slot #5. On the device, I see slots 1/2/3/4/6 loaded (number light up) and slot 5 empty (no number).

[1][2][3]
[4][_][6]

But even then the Raidiator webinterface shows the disk as dead as before.

System: RAIDiator 4.2.17, X-RAID2

Someone knows what the problem could be? How can I force the detection of a removed drive? Why does the drive still show up after a reboot even if the slot is empty?

Regards,
Tinu
Message 1 of 11
Tinu
Aspirant

Update: Opened case #16805381.
Message 2 of 11
Tinu
Aspirant

Hmm.

Netgear support advised me to boot into OS Reinstall mode.

1. Power down the ReadyNAS.
    2. Locate the reset pinhole (below the USB ports on the Pro models and to the left of the network ports on the NVX models).
    3. Get a straightened paper clip and depress the hidden switch in the pinhole while the power is off.
    4. Power on the ReadyNAS, keeping the reset switch pressed.
    5. Wait for the OLED display to read Boot Menu (after about 10 – 15 seconds).
    6. Press the Backup button on the front of the unit to scroll through the boot menu options which are:
    • Normal
    • Factory Default
    • OS Reinstall
    • Tech Support
    • Skip Volume Check
    • Memory Test
    • Test Disks
    7. Press the reset button at the back once to confirm the selection you need.

I was close to doing this, and as a preparation I replugged the new disk into slot 5 so that the OS is written to all 6 disks. Then unexpectedly the device recognised the new disk (disk added/check passed/disk accepted).

Now the RAID is resyncing and I have done nothing to the system, just let it idle for a day. So the problem is solved for me...

But I guess for someone else the OS Reinstall mode might be a viable solution.

Cheers,
Tinu
Message 3 of 11
Jedi_Knight
Tutor

Once you put the disk in, you will need to wait about 2-3minute for disk to be test and etc. So your LCD shown correctly

[1][2][3]
[4][5][6]

when the disk start recover and etc, it will update the disk listing in FV. so it's not bug as it shown you which disk was in there before a new disk start recovering and disk information updated..
Message 4 of 11
Tinu
Aspirant

Hi Jedi

I know what should have happened, I've read FAQ and the manual about replacing failed disks. Frontview just didn't detect that I removed the failed one yesterday, that was the problem. Activity shown on the LCD was more or less correct, but it didn't say that a new disk was found like today. And believe me, I waited more than an hour for anything to happen... (be it removing the failed one or inserting the new one).

This evening, it recognised the new disk instantly, no problems, and started resyncing as it says in the manual. Didn't even reboot since yesterday.

Cheers,
Martin
Message 5 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Your plan of doing an OS Re-install with a disk not synced into your array installed was a bad one and I've read of it having disastrous consequences. Only disks synced into an array should be installed when doing an OS Re-install
Message 6 of 11
Tinu
Aspirant

Then you should tell that Netgear Support.

It's either not very competent by giving me the advice of doing the OS Reinstall if the consequences are as you say, or they didn't understand the problem. I think I have described it clearly enough (same text in case as in my first post) that the device didn't detect the *removal* of the failed disk, and it didn't detect that I added a new one.

with all disks I understand as to replace the failed HD with a new one prior to doing the OS Reinstall, anything else wouldn't make sense to me. You agree?

The manual (ReadyNAS_Ultra_UltraPlus_Pro_HW_13April11.pdf, page 26) does not say that data is affected, only certain config settings (IP, admin password). And I particularly asked during the case was open.

But I agree that sometimes theory and practical experience are not the same...

Cheers,
Martin
Message 7 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What I was saying is that if it had come to an OS Re-install, I would have done it with all disks in the array with an empty drive bay where the dead disk and disk that wasn't yet synced into the array were (at different times). Doing an OS Re-install with a disk that isn't part of the array installed, I believe is not a good idea.
Message 8 of 11
Tinu
Aspirant

Ah, now I see your point. I thought about that too at first. Then I decided to insert the new disk prior to the OS Reinstall because that was the way I interpreted the Support answer.

To conclude this thread, it was just not a matter of a few minutes wait between the actions (remove/insert) as expected, I had to wait like a day or so. Then everything worked out. Just made me nervous as the RAID wasn't protected anymore, and I even suspected some kind backplane error at first because the system didn't react to removing/inserting disks. Before this disk failure, it was up and running since May, and I'm very happy with it. I upgraded from DUO to NV+ to this system because I like the ReadyNAS lineup.

Cheers,
Tinu
Message 9 of 11
lucifer2
Aspirant

So, I have had a similar problem.... However, mine is a bit worse.... The ReadyNAS Ultra 6, which is less than 2 months old has reported multiple drives dead when they were not.... IMO, something is wrong with the RAID.... One time, it reported Drive 1 dead.... I pulled the drive and reinserted and it resynced the array and was fine.... 2nd time, (3 days later), it said another drive was dead... Did the same thing and resynced everything... 3rd time (3 days later), it said ALL the drives were dead... Turned if off and on and it Rysynced and all good... 4 times, two drives again.... I can access the disks and the info on them, so, it doesn't seems to be the drives... It seems that the ReadyNAS simply has a RAID sync issue... Reinstalled the OS, updated the firmware to the latest, etc.... I now of ReadyNAS trying to tunnel in to see if there is something else... I really would like to RMA this thing.... Any thoughts?
Message 10 of 11
StephenB
Guru

I would (a) use your 3 months of phone support and open a case (b) start a new thread describing your problem that includes the case number in the title. Then netgear folks who are so inclined can connect the dots between your case information and your posts here.
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements