× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS is showing up as having two ip addresses on my home network

mark3
Aspirant

ReadyNAS is showing up as having two ip addresses on my home network

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help me. I have a ReadyNAS that is working correctly on my home network. It has an IP address of 192.168.1.2, all my other devices on the network start 192.168.1.XX.

There is however an unknown device that is showing up on my BT home hub, which has an IP address of 172.31.51.213. When I use Fing to scan services on this ip address it finds 554 and 7070.

If I unplug my ReadyNAS from the home network then both the 192.168.1.2 and the 172.31.51.213 addresses are no longer seen on the network, so Im pretty sure that they are noth the ReadyNAS.

I am wondering what the second IP address is for, whats going on. I do use my readyNAS to host a VPN if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

The 172.31.51.213 address won't work on your 192.168.x.x network, and (like 192.68.1.2) is a private (not internet routable) address. 

Port 554 (and sometimes 7070) are used for media streaming, but there also are a lot of reports of false alarms reported by various port scanners for those two ports.

What ReadyNAS model and firmware?

If you have two ethernet ports are both connected?

Did you try disabling the openvpn service and rebooting the NAS?

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi mark3,

Welcome to the community!

I don't remember the OpenVPN add-on or server use these ports that you mentioned. Are you using the ReadyNAS as a media server for your Apple devices or through iTunes?

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
StephenB
Guru

The 172.31.51.213 address won't work on your 192.168.x.x network, and (like 192.68.1.2) is a private (not internet routable) address. 

Port 554 (and sometimes 7070) are used for media streaming, but there also are a lot of reports of false alarms reported by various port scanners for those two ports.

What ReadyNAS model and firmware?

If you have two ethernet ports are both connected?

Did you try disabling the openvpn service and rebooting the NAS?

Message 3 of 4
mark3
Aspirant

Hi Brain and Stephen,

Thanks very much for your advice. I had previously disabled the VPN but it was still appearing, however I did not think to restart the readyNas.

Alas, after disabling the VPN Server I restarted and it has now disappeared. Thanks for your help.

Mark

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements