× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Mjar
Aspirant

Hi all,

Unfortunately, my ReadyNAS (OS 6.2.4) has been troubled for quite some time. I'm not able to connect to the admin page of the NAS within a couple of days after a device reset. When I reset the device (readynas 2 ultra legacy) it will work fine, but within a few days the admin page will go offline and will not return until the device is reset again. Trying to access the admin page will get a "Connecting to ReadyNAS Admin Page" which results in "ReadyNAS Admin page is offline". A number of things I tried to fix it:

- Disabling anti-virus

- Disabling MySQL

- Disabling snapshots

- Disabling most apps

- Trying different internet browsers and incognito mode to check cache issues

With Raidar, I'm able to see the device, but the overview screen will say: "Status: Management service is offline". All shares and apps are also working and I'm able to open them as well so it's just the admin page that is offline. So far I have been unable to fix this, but it's been like this for quite some months now 😞 Please help!

If needed I'm able to send logs.

Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
Mjar
Aspirant

Hi all,

I have exchanged the standard 1GB memory with a single 2GB memory module (Mushkin Essentials - DDR3 - 2 GB - SO DIMM 204-pin - 1333 MHz / PC3-10666 - CL9 - 1.5 V - non-buffer - non-ECC) and my problems are gone. I have stressed it with quite some Transmission, Sabnzbd and Sickbeard activities at the same time which would definately result in a crash before the memory upgrade and.. admin page is working fine. Apparantly a legacy device (Readynas Ultra 2) can't always run OS6 with the same apps as OS4 without some memory issues if you're a 'heavy' user. Solution for me: 2Gb of memory instead of 1Gb. Hope this helps someone.   

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 15

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Please send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig).

Message 2 of 15
Mjar
Aspirant

Just send them in, thanks a lot for looking into this!

Message 3 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You are still running too much on the NAS and it is running out of memory. I can see that MySQL is one of the services you are running.

Message 4 of 15
Mjar
Aspirant

Thanks for your help, much appreciated! It is strange though, I have the app 'MySql Server' disabled. I currently run these apps:

- Python

- PHP

- SMB Plus

- PHPMyAdmin

- SSH

- SABnzbd

- Transmission

- Sickbeard

Is one of them too heavy on memory resources? And would upgrading from 1GB to 2GB of memory fix the memory issues?

Thanks!

Message 5 of 15
RezzZ
Tutor

I got the same issue Mjar, I need to disable all services to be able to reach the admin page at all. It started just before I upgraded to 6.2.4

load avarage is between 1,3 and 1,5 when completely idle but CPUs are idle. Not sure yet what is lagging the system but just like you I don't run that much that could cause this inresponsiveness.

Right now I'm only downloading with sabnzbdplus and admin page is completely unreachable.

Is there a way to reinstall only the OS for my readynas and keep my data?

Message 6 of 15
Mjar
Aspirant

Hmm, sounds similar indeed. I have ordered the 2 GB of memory, will find out this week if that fixes the problem. I will try your settings as well, disabling all apps and see if it crashes again. Could it be a memory leak in the admin page software or something? Since all apps are working perfectly fine. 

Message 7 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@RezzZ wrote:

Is there a way to reinstall only the OS for my readynas and keep my data?

There is, and it is called an "OS reinstall"  It is a boot menu option - the specifics are in the hardware manual for your NAS.  These are all on line at netgear.com.

Of course there is always some small risk when installing firmware or manipulating disks. That said, the procedure is generally safe.  The IP address configuration is reset to DHCP, and the admin password is reset back to the default.  Data is preserved, and the rest of the NAS configuration remains the same.

Another related approach is to reinstall the firmware through the web ui.

FWIW, I don't think either will help.  But let us know either way.

Message 8 of 15
Mjar
Aspirant

Hi Stephen, do you perhaps have any other suggestions on what to do? Thanks!
Message 9 of 15
StephenB
Guru

I believe the web admin ui runs at a relatively low priority.  I'd start with lowering the priority of sabnzbdplus and see if access returns.

The load average question has been here from the beginning. To some degree that depends on the application structure (since the load average is simply the number of things waiting to execute)

Message 10 of 15
RezzZ
Tutor

strange thing, chrome for Mac seems to have more problems with the page being offline than safari, or chrome/firefox on windows...

Message 11 of 15
Sandshark
Sensei

I occasionally find it "offline" and closing the web browser tab and opening a new one fixes it.  Must be a bug there somewhere, but just an annoyance.

Message 12 of 15
Mjar
Aspirant

Hi all,

I have exchanged the standard 1GB memory with a single 2GB memory module (Mushkin Essentials - DDR3 - 2 GB - SO DIMM 204-pin - 1333 MHz / PC3-10666 - CL9 - 1.5 V - non-buffer - non-ECC) and my problems are gone. I have stressed it with quite some Transmission, Sabnzbd and Sickbeard activities at the same time which would definately result in a crash before the memory upgrade and.. admin page is working fine. Apparantly a legacy device (Readynas Ultra 2) can't always run OS6 with the same apps as OS4 without some memory issues if you're a 'heavy' user. Solution for me: 2Gb of memory instead of 1Gb. Hope this helps someone.   

Message 13 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well all our current x86_64 models ship with OS6 come with at least 2GB RAM. 1GB isn't the sweet spot it used to be.

As the memory in PCs that ship rises over time, apps, OSes etc. may add new features etc. and start using more memory.

6.4.0 has a new kernel and you may also see some improvements from that.

Message 14 of 15
RezzZ
Tutor

I have 4GB since last year already when I upgraded to OS 6. Still admin page offline sometimes.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements