× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas 102 firmware upgrade failure

dkoerner
Aspirant

ReadyNas 102 firmware upgrade failure

Hi,
I got myself a ReadyNAS 102 including two 3TB WD harddrives (WD30EFRX). After initial setup it asked me to upgrade the firmware to 6.1.3. After starting the firmware upgrade the system did not respond anymore.
I tried OS re-installs, Factory Resets, doing the same with only one harddrive and no harddrives in the bay, but all lead to the same effect. After start the power button never stops blinking.
I have a support ticket open which is going back and forth but also does not seem to get me anywhere.
Currently the system responds to telnet, but not to ssh or http(s).
I did not do anything on the system before upgrading the hardware besides going through the initial setup.

Any ideas what else I could do?
Thanks
Dennis
Message 1 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Has support looked at the unit remotely and if so have they tried manually updating the firmware?

Telnet working suggests that it can't move past the early stages of the boot process.
Message 2 of 15
Badyoda
Aspirant

Precisely that happened to my 102 as well. I posted about it here too.

Yesterday I installed 6.1.2 again and now it works just fine!

Cut the power ( unplugg it) and restart it again, this should work, then download 6.1.2 to your computer and manually install it from NAS UI.

I hope this helps.
Message 3 of 15
dkoerner
Aspirant

Hi, I now have sent the system back for an exchange unit, since support also was not able to get it working.
They connected remotely, but did not tell me what they tried. When restarting the system, the power light was just flashing and the system would only respond to telnet, but not to any user/password that I knew.

Hope that I can get the exchange unit running once it is here.

Thanks anyway, will keep you posted
Message 4 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The telnet login is for support's use to investigate issues such as yours.

Things I would have tried would have been things like wiping the disks. updating the firmware manually etc. Though I guess support probably tried those and detected an issue e.g. bad memory.
Message 5 of 15
dkoerner
Aspirant

So my exchange unit arrived, but strangely I still do not seem to be able to get the system up again with the two 3TB disks. I tried with a 2,5" 100GB disk and it appears to work, but not with the two certified and conpletely new disks. I saw that the disks do not have any jumpers set. Is that still a thing that is necessary for a NAS?
Message 6 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Jumpers shouldn't need to be set. With the 2.5" disk installed were you able to update the firmware?
Message 7 of 15
dkoerner
Aspirant

Hi,
yes, firmware update to 6.1.3 worked fine now. So for what I can see, it appears to me that both hard drives are broken.
If I put them in additionally to the working 2,5" the NAS does not show them in the web ui

Is that a reasonable assumption?
Just ironic that two new certified harddrives are broken while a 6 year old harddrive works fine.
Message 8 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

So you made sure the drives were properly seated? If you connect the 3.5" disks to your PC are they detected?
Message 9 of 15
dkoerner
Aspirant

I can hear how the harddrives start when they are inserted into the NAS.
I also tried connecting one of them to an external harddrive enclosure, which did not work. Unfortunately I do not have a way to connect them directly.
Message 10 of 15
StephenB
Guru

Does your enclosure support GPT drives? What were the symptoms of "did not work"? For instance, did Western Digital's Lifeguard program not see them?

Also, did you try the disks one at a time in the RN102? (powering down before insertion).
Message 11 of 15
dkoerner
Aspirant

Hi Stephen,
I chose the harddrives as of the "Hardware Compatibility List Hard Disks" page of the kb from Netgear. Additionally these were harddrives that were in a big test of a computer magazine, so they should work in general.

The symptoms were that the power did not stop flashing. I tried starting, resetting to factory defaults and reinstalling the OS all with one and two hard drives inserted, mixing every combination possible in the two slots.

Not sure what the Lifeguard program is and how I could test it, so not sure on that one.
Message 12 of 15
StephenB
Guru

I use these same disks in my RN102, and they are working perfectly. There were no issues upgrading to 6.1.3 or 6.1.4.

So I am thinking one of your disks might be bad. You can test it on a PC using Western Digital Lifeguard - which is their disk diagnostic. You download it from Western Digital's web site.

But that does require that you use an enclosure that supports 3 TB disks - which is why I asked more specifically what you meant when said "I also tried connecting one of them to an external harddrive enclosure, which did not work." It might actually have worked, since Windows will not show the drive in my computer (since it does not recognize linux formats).

An alternative theory is that the contents might have gotten corrupted. In which case, a factory reset might get you up and running again.
Message 13 of 15
dkoerner
Aspirant

Hi guys, thanks for all your feedback. I now switched to Seagate ST3000VN000 because I wasn't to interested in getting another set of WD's after I read some fun reviews on Amazon of other people running into similar problems at around the same time after having bought them in the same place.
Instead of resetting the system again, I added one of the 3TB disks to the 100GB drive that the NAS was running on and it worked nicely. After around 40 minutes the NAS was 'redundant' again.
Currently the second drive is inserted as well and I am a couple of minutes away from being back at redundant again with a 2x3TB configuration in X-RAID Raid1 mode.
Not sure if I will keep the RAID1 setup, but still, the system is running and unless something goes wrong in the next couple of minutes or the system will not reboot, I am happy.
So thanks again
Dennis
Message 14 of 15
doctoru
Aspirant

Hi,
I had the same problem. Netgear RN10200 + 2x WD RED 3TB, connected via network yellow cable directly to my PC.
Power Led was always blinking and I had no Raidar detection. So I was unable to access my new RAID system.
I've made a factory restore with one disk inserted. you should get leds blinking for about 10-15 min. After tht DISK 1 ld wil be solid and Power Led maybe blinking.
I'v put PC's IP address on automatic, not static IP!... and I accessed the RN102 using http://nas-xx-xx-xx where xx-xx-xx are the last digits of the NAS MAC address.
you'll get the Admin login and after you get setup the NAS. Make sure you have DHCP enabled and connect it to the router to be able to make OS update if you need to.
Enjoy! Netgear has also a very good Customer Support. I solved it trough them.
Good Luck
Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements