Occasional Contributor

ReadyNas 102 firmware upgrade failure

Hi,
I got myself a ReadyNAS 102 including two 3TB WD harddrives (WD30EFRX). After initial setup it asked me to upgrade the firmware to 6.1.3. After starting the firmware upgrade the system did not respond anymore.
I tried OS re-installs, Factory Resets, doing the same with only one harddrive and no harddrives in the bay, but all lead to the same effect. After start the power button never stops blinking.
I have a support ticket open which is going back and forth but also does not seem to get me anywhere.
Currently the system responds to telnet, but not to ssh or http(s).
I did not do anything on the system before upgrading the hardware besides going through the initial setup.

Any ideas what else I could do?
Thanks
Dennis
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: ReadyNas 102 firmware upgrade failure

Has support looked at the unit remotely and if so have they tried manually updating the firmware?

Telnet working suggests that it can't move past the early stages of the boot process.
Occasional Contributor

Precisely that happened to my 102 as well. I posted about it here too.

Yesterday I installed 6.1.2 again and now it works just fine!

Cut the power ( unplugg it) and restart it again, this should work, then download 6.1.2 to your computer and manually install it from NAS UI.

I hope this helps.
Occasional Contributor

Hi, I now have sent the system back for an exchange unit, since support also was not able to get it working.
They connected remotely, but did not tell me what they tried. When restarting the system, the power light was just flashing and the system would only respond to telnet, but not to any user/password that I knew.

Hope that I can get the exchange unit running once it is here.

Thanks anyway, will keep you posted
NETGEAR Moderator

The telnet login is for support's use to investigate issues such as yours.

Things I would have tried would have been things like wiping the disks. updating the firmware manually etc. Though I guess support probably tried those and detected an issue e.g. bad memory.
Occasional Contributor

So my exchange unit arrived, but strangely I still do not seem to be able to get the system up again with the two 3TB disks. I tried with a 2,5" 100GB disk and it appears to work, but not with the two certified and conpletely new disks. I saw that the disks do not have any jumpers set. Is that still a thing that is necessary for a NAS?
NETGEAR Moderator

Jumpers shouldn't need to be set. With the 2.5" disk installed were you able to update the firmware?
Occasional Contributor

Hi,
yes, firmware update to 6.1.3 worked fine now. So for what I can see, it appears to me that both hard drives are broken.
If I put them in additionally to the working 2,5" the NAS does not show them in the web ui

Is that a reasonable assumption?
Just ironic that two new certified harddrives are broken while a 6 year old harddrive works fine.
NETGEAR Moderator

So you made sure the drives were properly seated? If you connect the 3.5" disks to your PC are they detected?
Occasional Contributor

I can hear how the harddrives start when they are inserted into the NAS.
I also tried connecting one of them to an external harddrive enclosure, which did not work. Unfortunately I do not have a way to connect them directly.
Discussion Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Top Contributors
User Kudos Count