× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas 104 - Boot from USB Failed!

MrGlao
Aspirant

ReadyNas 104 - Boot from USB Failed!

When I looked at the RN10400 display, it says: Boot from USB Failed!

I have not made an upgrade or anyhting. There has probably been a power outage.

The "on" and backup buttons are blinking

I cannot turn it off by using the power button, only by removiing the power cable.

I have performed the instruction: "How do I use the USB Recovery Tool on my ReadyNAS OS 6 storage system?" with 4 different USBs. It works as stated in the instruction, but when I turn it on the normal way, it ends up in Boot from USB Failed!

In another thread on this subject it was suggested to kept the USB when it was turnd it on after recovery, but that has not work for me either.

Any suggestions?

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
MrGlao
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNas 104 - Boot from USB Failed!

I bought a RN214, moved the disks from the old RN104 to the RN214, turned it on and everything worked directly. Thanks for the support!

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

You should consider using paid support for this (my.netgear.com).  You can ask about per-incident support.

If you purchased the NAS new, you should check your warranty status (hardware warranty is three years). 

Message 2 of 7
MrGlao
Aspirant

Thanks for the answer. I will cosider paying for support.

Would it work if I buy a new four disk NAS and just move the disks to the new one? 

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@MrGlao wrote:

Would it work if I buy a new four disk NAS and just move the disks to the new one? 

You can directly migrate the disks to a new OS6 NAS.  The RN214 (current entry-level arm platform) and the RN424 (current entry level intel platform) are both possibilities.  If you want more bays (for future expansion), you'd need to go with one of the intel platforms.

Message 4 of 7
MrGlao
Aspirant

Thanks a lot. Buing a new one seems the way forward.

Will the the new OS6 NAS automatcaly detect the raid type I have used and recreate the files at power up, or do I have configure things?

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@MrGlao wrote:

Thanks a lot. Buing a new one seems the way forward.

Will the the new OS6 NAS automatcaly detect the raid type I have used and recreate the files at power up, or do I have configure things?

All you do it move the disks to the new NAS and power it up.

Message 6 of 7
MrGlao
Aspirant

I bought a RN214, moved the disks from the old RN104 to the RN214, turned it on and everything worked directly. Thanks for the support!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements