× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas 104 - backup failures unable to mount source drive

AFlesher
Aspirant

ReadyNas 104 - backup failures unable to mount source drive

My backups have recently started to fail withthe 'unable to mount source drive' error but the test connection is working fine.

All was working fine until a couple of weeks or so back.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Message 1 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Which firmware are you running?

Did you update the firmware around the time the problem started? If so, which firmware did you update from?

Message 2 of 12
AFlesher
Aspirant

I am running firmware 6.5.2 and this was a recent upgrade.  UNfortunately, I don't have a note of the firmware running before the update.  BUt your question regarding when the failures started to happen is relevant because I believe that it commenced after this upgrading to this firmware.

I have now checked the system logs and upgraded to 6.5.1 on 26 June and before that was runnig 6.5.0 from 22nd May (2016).

Previously it was runnig 6.4.2 from 11 Feb 2016.

I had one set of backup failurs (5 jobs run weekly) on 4th September but operated normally in following weeks.

All jobs then failed again on 20th & 25th September.

Manual attmepts on 26th (3 jobs) & 27th (2 jobs) have also failed.

Message 3 of 12
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello AFlesher,

What's the destination and source? Can you please post the logs from the job that failed?

Welcome to the community!

Regards,

Message 4 of 12
AFlesher
Aspirant

I have not been able to find a way to copy over the log text.  CAn you provide instructions how to do this?

Thanks

Message 5 of 12
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello AFlesher,

Please see this article.

Regards,

Message 6 of 12
AFlesher
Aspirant

I have already seen this article and have verified that all of the suggested responses to the "SOurce cannot be mounted" are operating corectly. Test Connection finds the source and another PC on the Netowrk finds the data for the source using the correct network address.

The article is therefore not a lot of use other than confirming that the ReadyNas isn't operating correctly withthe current firmware.

I have also read a related article which suggests using the IP address of the Source PC instead of the Name but this also made no differenc eto the outsome - i.e. the same source cannot be mounted error message.

Message 7 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Some people have found that downgrading to 6.5.1 resolved it.  So maybe try that, and let us know the outcome.

Message 8 of 12
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello AFlesher,

Or how about upgrading to version 6.6.0?

Regards,

Message 9 of 12
AFlesher
Aspirant

OK, I have downloaded and re-installed Firmware 6.5.1 and re-booted.

I have manually started one of my five routine backup jobs and it has reposted as completed sucessfully.  I am now working through the other 4 jobs.

The above would suggest that there is some kind of issue with FIrmware 6.5.2.  My system is already advising me that there is a firmware upgrade available which I obviously am not going to install.

How will I know when/if it is safe to install any future upgrade?

Message 10 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We've been unable to reproduce this on 6.5.2 or on 6.6.0. It works fine for us. So unless one of you are able to provide us more details and give us remote access to look into it there may not be a fix for some time.

Message 11 of 12
AFlesher
Aspirant

As can be seen form the posts and replies, I managed to reinstall Firmware 6.5.1 and my backups commenced working OK.  So I had to assume that there was an issue with 6.5.2 affecting my system.

Backups have been carried out both manually and under time programmed mode.

I saw that there was an upgrade to 6.6.0 available so I installed it.  Guess what - backups failing again.

So the obvious thing to do was to re-install 6.5.1.  BUT when I attempt to upload that firmware I now get an error message advising that the upload version is old than the installed version and the upload firmware no longer allows me to install 6.5.1.

I am now rapidly loosing patient with what I am coming to think is a totally rubbish piece of kit - and an EXPENSIVE waste of money.

Does anyone have any real suggestions? - Factory Reset is NOT an option because I do not want to loose the data stored on the NAS drives.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements