× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas 104 web gui unreachable

Azrael
Aspirant

ReadyNas 104 web gui unreachable

So today i wanted to log in on my ReadyNAS however windows was prompting me for a username when trying to access the shares in explorer which was new and since I tried to enter the password twice without success i wanted to log in on the web gui to check what was going on.

The web gui however is not accessible (page wont load just as if the service is not running). I did not change any apps on the last time I had it online (I usually don't install any because I just use it as storage/backup). I already tried to reset the Firmware in the boot menu without much success except for the fact that now even the windows share is not showing anymore. 

The NAS is booting perfectly, saying there is enough space availabe and it also gets an IP from my router. Sadly I had SSH deactivated and also after the firmware reset it is deativated by default for sure.

I have several TB of data on those drives which i cannot afford to lose simply because of a software hickup. Isn't there an easy way to fix this by reinstalling a newer OS or something?

Kind regards

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 19

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNas 104 web gui unreachable

Try reversing your two SMB changes with

sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/mrxsmb20/nsi
sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= auto

Those changes shouldn't have had any effect on web browser access anyway, since the browser isn't using SMB.

Like before you need to be running CMD as administrator, and restart when you are finished.

Do you have internet security software running on the PC?

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 19

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Does it show in RAIDar? If so, what is the status?

Message 2 of 19
Azrael
Aspirant

I started up radar and it is able to find the NAS. Status is OK (actually it is german so I don't know what the exact english equvialent is, but it says it's fine). It has the name I gave it lists the model number serial number firmware 6.5.1 the IP and the MAC address as well as all 3 drives.

When I click the link in RAIDAR to get to the admin page it first says something like "You can't access this device with your computer. Please check your network settings" and after a few minutes it opens up a browser page which times out.

When I try to download the protocols it prompts me for the login, which I am not sure which is actually correct because I assume that after the Firmware reinstall it should be default admin-password but anyways I have tried both and it again prompts me the message "You cant access the netgear storage system from this computer. Please check your network settings". And then immediately says that username or password are invalid.

One thing I noticed is, I still get the pwoer down E-Mail which I said to notify me whenever the NAS powers down. Is that an indicator that the firmware wasn't actually reset?

Message 3 of 19
StephenB
Guru

Did you try admin as the username and password as the password?

Also, is the IP address shown in RAIDar in the same range as your PC's address?  (It's fine to post those addresses, they are not routable over the internet).

@Azrael wrote:

One thing I noticed is, I still get the pwoer down E-Mail which I said to notify me whenever the NAS powers down. Is that an indicator that the firmware wasn't actually reset?

That's fine with an OS reinstall.  It only changes the network configuration and the admin password.

Message 4 of 19
Azrael
Aspirant

Yes I tried "admin" and "password" with the exact same result. First the prompt about you can't access and then the notice of invalid username/password.

The IPv4 of my computer would be 192.168.0.11 and the NAS is at 192.168.0.23

Btw I just check and my windows pc is in a private network with sharing enabled. The NAS is showing as a PC in the network (not as a network storage) and when I click on it the connection times out.

Message 5 of 19
StephenB
Guru

Is this the summary of the behavior?

-RAIDar sees the NAS and reports normal status

-IP configuration of the NAS looks fine

-But the NAS admin page is not reachable

-The NAS shares are not accessible from Windows File Explorer

You can also try downloading the logs from RAIDar and see if that works. If you are using LACP bonding (both ethernet cables connected), try removing one.

You might need support's help on this.  

Message 6 of 19
Azrael
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

-RAIDar sees the NAS and reports normal status

-IP configuration of the NAS looks fine

-But the NAS admin page is not reachable

-The NAS shares are not accessible from Windows File Explorer

Yes your summary is pretty much on point. And additionally I also cannot download the protocols via RAIDar.

@StephenB wrote:

You can also try downloading the logs from RAIDar and see if that works. If you are using LACP bonding (both ethernet cables connected), try removing one.

You mean I should not connect over the router but attach the ethernet cable directly from PC to the NAS? Or is this about having two ethernet cables in the NAS (which I don't).

Btw thanks to both of you for looking into this.

Message 7 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@Azrael wrote:

You mean I should not connect over the router but attach the ethernet cable directly from PC to the NAS? Or is this about having two ethernet cables in the NAS (which I don't).

It was about two ethernet cables in the NAS, so if you aren't doing that it doesn't apply.  

A direct connect between the NAS and the PC can help if the NAS IP configuration is incorrect, but that is not your situation.

Message 8 of 19
Azrael
Aspirant

I just did a firmware recovery but it didn't help. Then I had the brilliant idea to check if i could access the admin page from my phone and guess what? It works like a charm. Now I only have to figure out why my windows PC doesn't like my readyNAS all of a sudden.

I am sorry I had to bother you guys with this.

Message 9 of 19
StephenB
Guru

No problem, please do post back if you can't sort out the windows issue.

Message 10 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You could check things like if the NAS is in the same workgroup, any recent changes to things like the software firewall on your PC etc.

Message 11 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@mdgm wrote:

You could check things like if the NAS is in the same workgroup, any recent changes to things like the software firewall on your PC etc.

Yes.

In addition, try opening CMD and entering

net use * /delete

net use t: \\nas-ip-address\data /user:admin nas-admin-password

and see if that works (it should mount the NAS data volume as drive letter t:).  Of course use the real IP address and nas admin password.  Be careful on typiing - esp. spaces and the direction of the slashes.  If that works, then you need to add credentials for the NAS in the windows credential manager.

Message 12 of 19
Azrael
Aspirant

Thanks for the further answers. I fixed it but I am not exactly sure why it fixed it. In the following link the guideis listed.

http://www.windows10forums.com/threads/cant-see-nas-in-explorer.762/

1/ run cmd as admin
2/ sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/nsi
3/ sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= disabled
Restart and you are done!

I hope anyone in my situation will benefit from this.

Now by any chance someone might want to explain to me what I did there and if it was actually a good idea to do that? 😄 I assume I disabled some smb2.0 service. But why was that thing causing the issue?

Edit: This only made the admin webpage availabe and listed my NAS in the network as multimedia and storage however when I try to access the multimedia I still get prompted for password and username. After entering it still fails.

Edit2: I also tried your let's call it re-mounting of the drive to letter t: which failed on the second step with systemerror 67 networkname not found

Message 13 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@Azrael wrote:

Edit2: I also tried your let's call it re-mounting of the drive to letter t: which failed on the second step with systemerror 67 networkname not found

Double-check the typing first.  Also, is your NAS volume called "data"?  If not, then you need to substitute your real volume name for "data".  

Did you use the IP address of the NAS?  Or the hostname?

Message 14 of 19
Azrael
Aspirant

I did use the IP address and renamed the share appropriately. See below:

net use screenshot.PNG

Message 15 of 19
StephenB
Guru

The volume name is "data", not "Daten" (which is a share, but is not the volume name).  So try that. 

Message 16 of 19
Azrael
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

The volume name is "data", not "Daten" (which is a share, but is not the volume name).  So try that. 

Ok, same result though

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]
(c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. Alle Rechte vorbehalten.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>net use t: \\192.168.0.23\data /user:admin *password*
Systemfehler 67 aufgetreten.

Der Netzwerkname wurde nicht gefunden.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Message 17 of 19
StephenB
Guru

Those changes shouldn't have had any effect on web browser access anyway, since the browser isn't using SMB.

Like before you need to be running CMD as administrator, and restart when you are finished.

Message 18 of 19
Azrael
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

I do have the windows firewall runing however I also tried disabling that which did not solve the issue.

Strange, reverting it actually made the windows network share available again (kinda makes sense though, right?). And the webpage is also available. I still don't understand why deactivating the service fixed the accessability of the webpage in the first place though.

So everything is back to normal for now and I really want to thank you for your support.

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements