× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas 204: Data loss after resyncing from disk failure? #26432195

xers
Aspirant

ReadyNas 204: Data loss after resyncing from disk failure? #26432195

Hello

I bought a new RN204, installed my disk from my old NV+ and did a factory reset which formated all four 2TB drives.

Everything worked flawlessly for a few days, then disk #1 failed!
So I got a new 2TB disk, installed it in my RN204 without creating a partition or connecting it to a computer at all.
After 3 days it had Resynced the new disk. (a normal time?)

63 seconds after completing resyncing, the logs report that disk #2 was disconnected although that was NOT the case!
when this was discovered, I tried rebooting and then all files where gone!?

Fri Feb 5 2016 20:18:14 : System: The system is rebooting. <---- I tried rebooting it since it showed Disk #2 was disconnected for some reason?!
Fri Feb 5 2016 20:11:12 : Volume: The resync operation finished on volume data. However, the volume is still degraded.
Fri Feb 5 2016 19:37:50 : Disk: Disk Model: ST2000DL003-9VT166 Serial:5YD32V86 was removed from Channel 2 of the head unit. <---- Nobody did disconnect the disk, what does this log mean?
Fri Feb 5 2016 19:36:47 : Disk: Disk in channel 1 (Internal) changed state from RESYNC to ONLINE. <---- The resyncing completed after installing my new disk.

Last time when my NV+ power supply did go bad, I was able to recover all data by connecting all my disks to a computer and running r-studio.
Is this going to work this time too?

I can't lose all my data!

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNas 204: Data loss after resyncing from disk failure?

I would contact support.

Message 2 of 7
xers
Aspirant

Well that was not the answer I was hoping for 😞

Forgot to mention that I now, after the reboot get the following message:

Please remove inactive volumes in order to use the disk, Disk #1,#2,#3,#4

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@xers wrote:

Well that was not the answer I was hoping for 😞

I do get that.

But often trying to solve these issues on your own can increase the damage.  If you purchased within 90 days you'd still have free phone support - that would cover basic troubleshooting, but it wouldn't reach to data recovery (which might not be needed).

Message 4 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You have three of these disks (an additional one you replaced recently):

Model:              ST2000DL003-9VT166
Firmware:           CC32

and one of these disks:

Model:              ST2000DM001-1ER164
Firmware:           CC26

Your ST2000DL003 disks have a known issue. You must use CC3D firmware or newer. The compatibility list for your old NV+ (see Legacy > ReadyNAS NV+ on http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20641) clearly states this. There is a firmware bug with older firmware.

You can't update CC32 firmware to CC3D. The ST2000DL003 disk with buggy firmware has a known issue where it can drop out of the array unexpectedly. This is likely what you were seeing in your NV+ and depending on what other problems you were experiencing with the NV+ (if any) that unit may still be in fine condition. Also the disk you replaced may still be fine.

Consequently I wouldn't use your ST2000DL003 disks going forward as you will run into the same problem of them dropping out of your array again.

As for the ST2000DM001 not all disks on the compatibility list are equal. I would have recommended the WD RED 2TB or the SeaGate NAS 2TB over this disk.

Message 5 of 7
xers
Aspirant

Just to clarify, I'm not using a NV+, I just took the harddrives from it.
Anyway, you're saying that I should not use these old drives in Any NAS? and my problem may be caused be by this buggy firmware?

Thanks in advance!

Message 6 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The problem is with the drives not which NAS they are used in. The drives have a bug that does not make them suitable for RAID use.

It's very likely that at least one of those disks dropped out because of the buggy disk firmware, maybe both.

You should follow up with support to see what your options are.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements