× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas 3138

deantae
Aspirant

ReadyNas 3138

I have a ReadyNas 3138 which has a Quad Core Atom processor and I want to use for surveillence storage. We have three surveileence records with about 150 cameras. How do you think this system will hold up with that kind of load? I didn't buy the unit but my predecessor did and I want to get some use out of it.

Model: RN3138|ReadyNAS 3138 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Any guestimate on the MB/s the cameras will require?

Message 2 of 7
deantae
Aspirant

Not sure. I'm recording at 8 fps on majority of the cameras and 6 fps on the rest using H264.

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@deantae wrote:

Not sure. I'm recording at 8 fps on majority of the cameras and 6 fps on the rest using H264.

The bitrate is what matters.  Also, whether the cameras are only recording on a motion alert of some kind, or if they are always recording.

It should be possible to get some sizing from your current storage system (perhaps with some help from your network IT guys).  Most servers collect ethernet stats, so you would be able to get some average loading from that.  

Message 4 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

Are you trying to record in real time to the NAS, or is it backup storage for files captured on the DVR(s)?  If it's backup, you probably won't have a problem.  If it's real time, do I read your message correctly that the DVR(s) send(s) three multi-camera streams to the NAS, not one per camera?  One per camera sounds like pushing your luck.  Three might be OK.

Message 5 of 7
deantae
Aspirant

Sorry, I should have spoof read my post. I have three Ocularis recording servers and right now my live storage is going to two different places, one being the ReadyNas 3138. I didn't purchase the ReadyNAS, my predecessor did, but I want to put it to use as the main storage for our surveillance system. I have around 150 cameras total. All of the internal cameras are recording at 8fps and the external ones are recording at 6fps, all using motion detection. I recently purchased some Western Digital Surveillance drives that I'm going to install later this week and I'm hoping they will improve performance quite a bit seeing how the ReadyNAS is just using regular cheap drives currently. I guess my question should have been this....

How much does the CPU matter in the ReadyNAS's performance vs the quality of the hard drives used?

Message 6 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

The "quality" of the drives is more related to longevity than speed.  And you still bought the wrong ones when it comes to that.  Surveillance drives, while rated for 24/7 operation, are not intended for RAID use.  They are optimized for continuous streaming to one drive, which is not what happens in a RAID environment.  While they will work, and probably a bit better than most desktop drives, their optimization does not help you and they also do not typically have vibration and noise protection as do NAS-purposed drives.  Surveillance drives are intended to go inside your NVR.  NAS-purposed drives are intended for inside your NAS.

I'm afraid your additional information does not help me answer much better, as I am not familiatr with the Ocularis hardware.  You say the Ocularis is a "recording server", yet you also say the NAS is "primary storage."  That sounds contradictory.  If the Ocularis is a "server", does it not have it's own real-time storage and the NAS is the backup, and thus transfer to it is not real-time?  And does each Ocularis send separate files to the NAS for each camera or is the camera data multiplexed and each sends just one file containing all camera data? 

The CPU and memory of the NAS is going to be more important the more files are open at one time, but so will the seek time of the hard drives.

I can mostly only repeat what I said before.  If the Ocularis systems are doing the real-time recording and just off-loading the data to the NAS in non-real time, I believe the NAS will do the job.  If the Ocularis are sending real-time data to the NAS, especially if it is a separate file for each camera, then I think you could have a problem if you have motion detection on a lot of cameras simultaneously.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements