× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas DUO backup error - 'read only file system'

joah
Aspirant

ReadyNas DUO backup error - 'read only file system'

Hello community,

I hope you can help me with an issue i'm having with my ReadyNAS Duo (v1) running Raidiator 4.1.14. At night it runs a backup job which copies a folder from a computer on the LAN to the NAS itself. What often happens is after a reset things work for a while, sometimes days, sometimes weeks. But then I get warning emails containing log entries like:

cp: cannot create regular file '/backup/projecten/./CAM_strip/01_v0.1.JPG': Read-only file system

Usually this warning is given for every file (meaning thousands) so the emails are quite big. And obviously the backup has not been made. I tried troubleshooting this issue and searched for similar issues on this forum and on the web, but to no avail. I can't seem to pinpoint what is causing this.

Perhaps you could help me out running through some of the settings, i may have been tinkering too much. I suppose it has something to do with ownership and rights to access these files and folders.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 26

Accepted Solutions
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi joah,

Aside from trying StephenB and JennCs suggestions, if you will create a test share, can you tell us if you will experience the same read-only behavior?

Looking forward to your response.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 26

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

I don't know what is causing it - but I am wondering if resetting the file ownership/permissions on the backup share solves it.

Message 2 of 26
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello joah,

Here's the article in case you need it:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14682/~/resetting-permissions-on-raidiator-4

Regards,

Message 3 of 26
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

How full is the data volume on the NAS?

Message 4 of 26
joah
Aspirant

Ok, done. Let's see what happens tonight.

Message 5 of 26
joah
Aspirant

It says 73% full.

Message 6 of 26
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi joah,

Aside from trying StephenB and JennCs suggestions, if you will create a test share, can you tell us if you will experience the same read-only behavior?

Looking forward to your response.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 26
joah
Aspirant

I'm afraid resetting the ownership hasn't helped.

One odd thing I noticed is that the first warning email arrives at 02:39 at night. But the backup is scheduled to start at 04:00. So it seems to be failing before it has even begun? The next couple of emails arrive at 05:35, 08:50 and 12:03.

Message 8 of 26
joah
Aspirant

Hi Brian,

I created a share called 'test' and gave that the exact same CIFS settings as my backup share. (ie. under 'advanced CIFS permission' i checked 'Automatically set permissions for new files and folders', and unchecked 'Enable Oplocks for this share'). Also, under Advanced Options i changed the Share-folder owner from 'nobody' to 'admin', just like it is set up in my backup share.

Next, I changed the backup task to copy to the 'test' share. The task is set to copy all data the first time and then go incremental after that. I've just started the first complete backup, so it faces the same situation tonight, when it starts its (incremental) backup routine. Fingers crossed... 🙂

Message 9 of 26
joah
Aspirant

I noticed another email sent at 04:09, containing just two lines like this: .

cp: cannot open '/job_001//_Projecten/./OBB_Zoetermeer folders/~folder_v0.1~07$hih.idlk' for reading: Text file busy

Which might actually be correct since these were documents currently opened and unsaved in InDesign. I usually leave my computer running overnight with programs and documents opened.
Message 10 of 26
StephenB
Guru

You need to stop doing that if you want the backups to work.
Message 11 of 26
joah
Aspirant

This night I got only one email, at 4:09, which seems correct. It contains just two lines pertaining to the files in use. So, it looks like the new share fixes the problem. I'll have to wait and see if this solution  actually holds up, but it looks good for now.

Message 12 of 26
joah
Aspirant

I just got another email, at 19:44. I was suprised to see the email starting with the following statement:

Error encountered copying data from remote source path //192.168.1.120/Data Kolibri/_Projecten ==> /backup/projecten due to unknown reason. Please see log.Error encountered copying data from remote source path //192.168.1.120/Data Kolibri/_Projecten ==> /backup/projecten due to unknown reason. Please see log.

As you can see, the backup job is still trying to write to the backup share, even though it is set to write to a new share called temp.

Message 13 of 26
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Please send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig).

Message 14 of 26
joah
Aspirant

I've just sent the logs to your emailaddress.

To be sure, they can also be downloaded from this Dropbox link.

Message 15 of 26
joah
Aspirant

The logsize is too big! Your emailaddress bounced my email. Please check the Dropbox link i posted earlier. Thanks!

Message 16 of 26
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Your disk has 102 ATA errors. A failing disk could explain the problems you are having.

Message 17 of 26
joah
Aspirant

Allright, the disk is around 5 years old. Is there any way I can test it?

Message 18 of 26
StephenB
Guru

You can connect it to a windows PC (usb or directly) and run the vendor diagnostics (seatools for seagate, lifeguard for western digital).

Or just replace it.  I recommend WDC Red drives.

Message 19 of 26
joah
Aspirant

So I took the drive out of the NAS and hooked it up through USB using a HD Quickport. I used HDDscan to check for surface errors, which came back with this report:

Aristotle_Altemps_Inv8575.jpg

But I can't tell whether this is good or bad. I also ran the SMART test which gave me these results (all items had green 'ok' icons in front, except for "UltraDMA CRC errors", which was an exclamation mark):

VALUE     WORST                                         THRESHOLD

001         Raw Read Error Rate                   100         100         0000000000-0000             051

003         Spin Up Time                                078         078         0000000000-1C84            011

004         Start/Stop Count                          100         100         0000000000-0151             000

005         Reallocation Sector Count           100         100         0000000000-0000             010

007         Seek Error Rate                           100         100         0000000000-0000             051

008         Seek time Perfomance                 100         100         0000000000-274F             015

009         Power-On Hours Count                087         087         0000000000-F70F             000

010         Spin Retry Count                         100         100         0000000000-0000             051

011         Recalibration Retries                   100         100         0000000000-0000             000

012         Device Power Cycle Count          100         100         0000000000-00C1            000

013         Soft read error rate                     100         100         0000000000-0000             000

183         SATA Downshift Error Count        100         100         0000000000-0000             000

184         End To End Error Count              100         100         0000000000-0000             099

187         Reported Uncorrectable Error     100         100         0000000000-0000             000

188         Reported Command Timeouts     100         100         0000000000-0000             000

190         Airflow Temperature                      063         055         37 C       000

190         Airflow Temperature Minimum       063       055         29 C       000

190         Airflow Temperature Maximum      063         055         42 C       000

194         HDA Temperature                         079         054         21 C       000

195         Hardware ECC Recovered           100         100         0000001299-9A83            000

196         Reallocation Event Count            100         100         0000000000-0000             000

197         Current Pending Errors Count     100         100         0000000000-0000             000

198         Uncorrectable Errors Count         100         100         0000000000-0000             000

/!\     199         UltraDMA CRC Errors                  100         096         0000000000-0003             000

200         Write Error Rate                          100         100         0000000000-0000             000

201         Soft Read Error Rate                  100         100         0000000000-0000             000

Again, I have no clue as to what I'm seeing here. Please help me make sense of these figures.

Message 20 of 26
StephenB
Guru

Vendor diags are generally easier to sort out I think..

I don't use hddscan, but it looks like the column between "worst" and "threshold" is the raw SMART value.  If so, the drive has no reallocated or pending sectors, but does have 3 CRC errors (the "UltraDMA" ones) which are errors detected on the SATA interface.  Though that count is low, it is perhaps consistent with the ATA errors reported on the NAS.

I'd probably just replace the drive myself, even though it could be healthy.  It is aging after all.  If the raw value for power-on hours is simply units of hours (which it might not be), then the drive is 7 years old, not 5.  What model drive is it?

Message 21 of 26
joah
Aspirant

It's a Samsung drive and it may very well be 7 years old, i was just roughly guessing there. The only vendor software i could find is something called HUTIL that requires to run from boot, which I thought was too much of a hassle. ^^) It doesn't seem to offer more information than HDDscan does.

The thing is, i'd like to rule out the possibilty of replacing the drive and being stuck with the same problem. Especially when the drive seems to be ok. As I understand it, CRC errors are usually not the disk itself, but noisy communications with it. When I google this specific error, people are suggesting to check for loose cables or to reseat the drive.

The model number is HD103UJ.

Message 22 of 26
StephenB
Guru

You are correct that CRC errors aren't necessarily due to the disk itself.  The NAS could be failing.

Here are the options I see:

(a) get a new NAS with new disks, and migrate your data to it.

(b) try a factory reset, rebuild the NAS and restore the configuration and data - and see if that works.

(c) try replacing the disk, and see if that works

(d) try replacing the NAS (with a used unit) and see if that works

(b) is time-consuming, but free.

(c) and (d) require spending money on a very old NAS setup.

(d) is problematic, since used units don't always function.

If you go with (a) you can then attempt (b) and use the NV+ as a backup device if it works.

Message 23 of 26
joah
Aspirant

Hi,

thanks for your answer! That sums it up clearly. I'll go (b) and then (c). 🙂

So, I turned the NAS on without any drives in it, but it would not connect to my LAN. I then inserted the drive (after turning the NAS off) and now I am able to do a factory reset. However, it says all data will be lost, which ofcourse--i'm trying to avoid. Is there a way to do a factory reset without first copying a lot of gigs over to other drives?

Message 24 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@joah wrote:

Is there a way to do a factory reset without first copying a lot of gigs over to other drives?

Unfortunately not.  You do need to do a full backup, and reconfigure the NAS (reinstall add-ons, recreate shares, accounts,...).

Message 25 of 26
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements