× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas Duo V1 update to 4.1.14 failed Frontview.

EB
Aspirant
Aspirant

ReadyNas Duo V1 update to 4.1.14 failed Frontview.

Hello

Questions:

how can I get readyDLNA streaming to work again   (can I reset the DLNA database manually perhaps),  and how can I fix the slow navigation of frontview please?

background: My duo v1 nasbox has worked very well for the last 4-5 years but, at some point recently (last few weeks) the readyDLNA service appears not to serve out any music, pictures or videos. I tried to u/g to the latest RAIDiator (4.1.14) from 4.1.12 but after numerous attempts I realised that the html frontview page navigation was exdtremly slow to the point of being unresponsive and in fact wasn't respnding to inputs properly (click a radio button, apply it, then find the radio button is still unset , that sort of thing).

Having d/l and confirmed the MD5sum of the radiator file, uploading and verifying it either said "it's not a valid file" or it said " installing" ... but didn't.

i tried an OS reinstall - that didn't alleviate these problems.

i used a USB forced boot into 4.1.14 and an OS reinstall ...that *did* work and I now have 4.1.14 installed and I can navigate my mounted shares etc. If I want to navigate within readyDLNA, it takes 5-10 minutes per mouse-click to navigate to the source directories (/nas/MP3s or nas/videos etc.) from which I want the music etc. streamed.

My DLNA "receivers" are unchanged and yet, where they once played music from the nasbox, now they don't even though I have reinstalled readyDLNA.

RAIDar 6.0 works (Win10) and detects the nasbox, raidar 4.3.8 (Linux Mint 17.2) no longer does so (but it used to).

I'm happy to attempt telnetlogins and SSH etc. with some guidance so if anyone can advise how to tail a few logs, please let me provide mor einfo. I have read lots of forum threads but none which seem sufficiently pertinent so as to allow me to proceed.

Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
EB
Aspirant
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNas Duo V1 update to 4.1.14 failed Frontview.

and now the mounts in linux have reported a "stale file handle" so now the shares are no longer visible ... they *were* fine.

I can ping 192.168.1.10 and I have tried disconnecting the UPS to see if it made a difference to the amber RAIDar message (it didn't).

I can't download any logs - clicking on the "download all logs" either results in nothing happening (Win10 Edge) or "invalid XML style" being reported (words along those lines, Chromium and FF).

I shall wait several hours now, just to see if the DLNA scan (which I presume has started because a log message said so) will come to a conclusion and give me back system control of some sort.

(Sorry for the repeated follow-on posts - can't see how to edit the original to be able to amend it)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 16

All Replies
EB
Aspirant
Aspirant

More info, based on what's just been observed - I hadn't been able to upload add-on .bins due to FrontView saying they were invalid, but trying using a laptop running Win10 and the Edge browser, I have reinstalled readydlna and this time, asking it to rescan the database has generated a log event, so that's something new.

However, I now have two new problems: 1) I can't load frontView in any browser (Linux Chromium says "ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED webpage not available" Linux FF says unable to connect, Win10 Edge says " we can't reach this page) but RAIDar shows the correct private IP still.

Also, RAIDar 6.0 now shows an amber status  "Error battery charge, 0%"  whereas prior to starting the scan it said "working normally" (or words to that effect)

There is a UPS (USB connected) but its charge is 100% ... perhaps I have a Netgear PSU problem?  Or the DLNA scan is using 100% resources and there are no clock cycles left to serve out frontview?

Message 2 of 16
EB
Aspirant
Aspirant

and now the mounts in linux have reported a "stale file handle" so now the shares are no longer visible ... they *were* fine.

I can ping 192.168.1.10 and I have tried disconnecting the UPS to see if it made a difference to the amber RAIDar message (it didn't).

I can't download any logs - clicking on the "download all logs" either results in nothing happening (Win10 Edge) or "invalid XML style" being reported (words along those lines, Chromium and FF).

I shall wait several hours now, just to see if the DLNA scan (which I presume has started because a log message said so) will come to a conclusion and give me back system control of some sort.

(Sorry for the repeated follow-on posts - can't see how to edit the original to be able to amend it)

Message 3 of 16
StephenB
Guru

Do you have ssh installed?  This sounds a bit like a full OS partition.

Message 4 of 16
EB
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello StephenB and thanks for your thoughts.

I think I have SSH installed but I am not able to check via Frontview at the moment (I can still ping 192.168.1.10). 

I forced a shutdown last night (held in the blue button for 60s until the unit powered off) , when I'd waited a few hours for any ongoing proceses to end yet still couldn't get Frontview to load (and RAIDar was still reporting "Error battery charge 0%). I did get Frontview access for a few minutes and I saw that 13+hours of xraid resyns had started. this omrning (<13h) I find that Frntview access has stopped again and so I will wait until tonight, see if xraid resync has presumaby finished, and then try again.

I don't know how to SSH into the readynas but I am sure I will be able to learn. If you've a few pointers to get me started down the process of emptying whichever directory structure or partition is needed, that would be a big help. Thanks!

EB

Message 5 of 16
StephenB
Guru

SSH requires an add-on to be installed on the NAS - which might not install in your situation.  It's the sparc button here: http://www.readynas.com/?p=4203.  This is a "toggle" install - if ssh is already enabled, installing this again will disable it.  You do need to be careful with SSH, it is quite easy to completely brick your NAS.

On a windows PC it also requires a third party tool (I use putty.exe).  On a Mac you can use terminal.

You launch putty, and enter the NAS ip address.  At the logon prompt, the logon is "root", and the password is your NAS admin password.  You'd enter

df . -h

df . -i

and report the results back here.

If you get a logon refused error, then you likely never enabled ssh, and you could try to install it again.

Netgear can also diagnose/fix this remotely.  They would likely charge a per-incident support cost, but it might be your best option.

Either way, if you still have access to the files with SMB/CIFS, it would be a good time to update your backup.

Message 6 of 16
EB
Aspirant
Aspirant

Some progress - and thanks very much for this guidance, by the way, StephenB.

First observation is that the root account's password has defaulted to the "netgear1" standard. My actual admin password doesn't work. However, I was able to SSH into the root account and here's what is reported (I'm using Linux Mint's shell) :

$ ssh root@192.168.1.10
root@192.168.1.10's password:
Linux NASBox 2.6.17.14ReadyNAS #1 Wed Jun 20 20:08:20 PDT 2012 padre unknown
NASBox:~# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/hdc1 1.9G 1.9G 100M 95% /
tmpfs 16k 0 16k 0% /USB
/dev/c/c 1.8T 894G 960G 49% /c
/c/home 1.8T 894G 960G 49% /home/ftp/homes
/c/Jshare 1.8T 894G 960G 49% /home/ftp/Jshare
/c/Rshare 1.8T 894G 960G 49% /home/ftp/Rshare
/c/rescue 1.8T 894G 960G 49% /home/ftp/rescue

NASBox:~# df -i
Filesystem Inodes IUsed IFree IUse% Mounted on
/dev/hdc1 128000 11814 116186 10% /
tmpfs 7073 1 7072 1% /USB
/dev/c/c 61014016 399523 60614493 1% /c
/c/home 61014016 399523 60614493 1% /home/ftp/homes
/c/Jshare 61014016 399523 60614493 1% /home/ftp/Jshare
/c/Rshare 61014016 399523 60614493 1% /home/ftp/Rshare
/c/rescue 61014016 399523 60614493 1% /home/ftp/rescue
NASBox:~#

I'm happy to "rm" various files etc. if you are able to make suggestions. I will try to mount the shares in order to copy them one way or another, too. Now is indeed time, yes!

A second observation is that my SSH ability lasts for about 5 minutes after rebooting; at that point, RAIDar loses connection and the SSH session gets closed by the remote host. I can pipng 192.168.1.10 but I cannot SSH into it again. The NASbox then has a pulsing blue power LED and I presume it is doing some quota related porcesses, relating to the last RAIDar message (amber) before the connection was lost.

Again, thanks for helping me make some headway.

EB

Message 7 of 16
StephenB
Guru

Ok, so you definitely have a full OS partition.  You should be seeing ~20% full on /dev/hdc

Cleaning the problem within your 5 minute window might be challenging.

-One culprit is a runaway log file - they are in /var/logs

A good way to empty a log is to enter:

echo "" > /var/log/logname.log

-A second possible culprit is an SQL database (particularly for ReadyDLNA, but there are some other add-ons that put databases or other files in the OS partition).  Though I don't recall where that database is (or know what would happen if you deleted it).

Message 8 of 16
EB
Aspirant
Aspirant

As you rightly guessed, doing anyting useful in a short (much less than five minutes) burst of opportunity is proving to be very difficult.  I cleared a few logs before I got locked out of te ssh session due to the remote host dropping me; then I found I could ping the nasbox but even RAIDar was failing to detect it. No port 2 ssh was available.

I then couldn't shut the nasbox down (held the power button for >60 s but still no good, even after a couple of goes. So i had to pull the power out, restart the box, get a few more tens of secons of ssh opportunity, then I had the same again.

So I did an OS reinstall, and the nasbox got detected by RAIDar and once the system had started up I got a green status message saying system healthy!

However, I couldn't then open FrontView at the new IP address (connection refused) and I had to force another shutdown. the box has now rebooted but is invisible to RAIDar - BUT I have had an email message telling me that RAID syn has started.

Ought I to wait (days maybe?) for the RAID sync to complete? I touwld normally take a night to do the work but, with the OS partition being 99% full, does it mean it might take a lot longer?

And ought I to do a USB reboot to force a new image onto the nasbox? (I did that a few days ago in order to force 4.1.14 to replace the existing 4.1.12)

And finally - I have two 1TB drives from a year ago which have most of my data on them. Can I do anything useful with those, in order to rescue the "c" partition on my current pair of 2TB drives?

Not sure what to do next so your suggestions are most welcome.

Message 9 of 16
StephenB
Guru

You didn't replace any disks, so the raid sync must be a result of the forced shutdown.

At this point I'd try getting the data off, using linux reader in a PC (http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/).  You'll need either a USB adapter or connect the drive directly to an unused PC SATA port.

With XRAID, the v1 has uses a data disk/parity disk architecture.  Linux Reader can only recover the data from the data disk (usually disk 1 - on the left).  If it doesn't see the data partition, then you likely have the wrong disk.

After you get the data off, you can do a full factory install which will certainly solve the OS full problem.  There's an add-on for ReadyDLNA that moves the database to the C volume - you should certainly use that. 

Message 10 of 16
EB
Aspirant
Aspirant

Got it - I'm ordering a 2TB USB drive etc. and I can easily mount  drive 1  - I understand it's ext3, and my OS is linux, so I should be able to save the data and factory reset everything.

I'll see about the readyDLNA add-on and we'll see what's what.

thanks again!

EB

Message 11 of 16
StephenB
Guru

Not sure if you need this, but just in case...

Mounting Sparc-based ReadyNAS Drives in x86-based Linux:

http://home.bott.ca/webserver/?p=306

Message 12 of 16
EB
Aspirant
Aspirant

Nice - could be very handy. Thank you StephenB!

You mentioned an add-on to readyDLNA ... do you mean a separate .bin of some sort which works in concert with the most recent readyDLNA v1.1.4, or do you mean that readyDLNA version 1.1.4 has this "move database to  C volume" functionality built-in? 

(So far I can only find http://www.readynas.com/download/addons/4.1/ReadyDLNA_1.1.4.bin).

Message 13 of 16
StephenB
Guru

The add-on (for the v1 systems) is http://www.readynas.com/download/addons/4.1/Toggle_ReadyDLNA_CacheDir_1.0.bin

It changes the database directory from /var/cache/minidlna to the C volume.  

Message 14 of 16
EB
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks StephenB; that'll certainly help alleviate this problem in the future.

Another thought, though: I have removed drive 1 from the NASbox and I can see the SATA drive partitions in Gparted (linux tool) when I use a SDATA/USB caddy. Could I just ext3 reformat "dev/sdc"1 which is the ReadyNAS 'c' ext3 partition, 2GB in size? It's showing to be 1.95GiB of which 1.85GiB is used with only 106 MiB available . I could then do an OS reinstall from the NASbox flash memory back onto the (now-empty) 'c' partition, couldn't I?

using the R-Linux tool I can see the /var/log directory structure and there is a very large 1.3GB upnp-av.log file there which I am trying to work out how to delete.

(I think I can mount the ext3 formatted SATA drive and edit the files in my machine but not having much luck with ext2fuse etc. yet)

Message 15 of 16
EB
Aspirant
Aspirant

This is annoying ... it's a HDD fault!

My Seagate drive 2 (NAS specific design) has developed a fault, even though RAIDar was reporting good health for both of them. Seatools has diagnosed the problem - short dst failed with code D8A8D4E9 - and I am returning it under warrantee. it's less than 2 years old.

I have now mounted the Drive 1 into the NASbox, used SSH to delete the huge log file and all is well. I have a spare (smaller than 2TB) drive which I will xraid onto for the time being.

Anyway, thanks for your help and if it would have been possiblt to mount it as an ext3 device and then format the 'c' partition afresh, it would be useful to know if it's a viable approach.

I still aim to mount drive 1 in a USB caddy that's coming this week, so I can back it up onto a third 2TB standalone drive which will then be my target for ongoing incremental backups on a monthly schedule. I should be able to mount it using various linux tools, so fingers crossed.

Thanks StephenB for your assistance throughout and it now looks like it should be straight forward from now on.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements