× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas NV+ V2 - Main volume not found (volume scan failed to run properly)

borisw37
Aspirant

ReadyNas NV+ V2 - Main volume not found (volume scan failed to run properly)

I have a ReadyNas NV+ V2.

4x2TB disks installed, 2 external USB drives for backup.

Everything was running ok, then I shut it down and physically moved the NAS to a new location, new network.

After updating the IP address the NAS seems to boot just fine, but the main volume is not visible! 

System->Overview->Volumes  shows the two USB drives (volumes)

System->Info->Info shows the four 2TB drives and all of them are shown as healthy, status OK

System->Info->Logs latest entry:

Wed Feb 10 20:54:32 EST 2016

Wed Feb 10 20:54:32 EST 2016	
The paths for the shares listed below could not be found. Typically, this occurs when the ReadyNAS is unable to access the data volume.

media
public
backup

Wed Feb 10 20:52:34 EST 2016	
Volume scan failed to run properly.

Any thougths?

Thank you,

Boris.

Message 1 of 7
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNas NV+ V2 - Main volume not found (volume scan failed to run properly)

Hi borisw37,

Were the drives removed then re-inserted? Kindly download the logs and send it to us.

Kind regards,

BrianL

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 7
borisw37
Aspirant

Brian,

The drives were not removed/reinstalled.

*Log files sent.

Thank you,

Boris.

Message 3 of 7
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi borisw37,

I have seen events of disk failure dated last December, January and February. When you replaced these aformentioned disks (1&2) was the volume rebuilt and its data accessible afterwards? I suggest that you contact our support team to further check your system and they'll try to help you recover your data. Expect that there will be a fee for the said process.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 7
borisw37
Aspirant

Brian,

Thank you for taking a look at the logs. Yes, my ReadyNAS would ocassional claim that one of the disks has failed, even though all of the SMART parameters were fine and the disk would work just fine (in an exteranl enclosure). So I had to occasionally remove/reinstall the "failed" disks and let NAS rebuild the volume.

Since I do have everything backed up from the NAS, is there anything quick / easy I can try for ReadyNAS to see the entire volume. I'm a bit oprehensive to spend any more money on the system since it's been a bit of a problem child from day 1.

Thank you,

Boris.

Message 5 of 7
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi borisw37,

You can try to mount your volume into a Linux machine and we have threads here in the community that could help. Since you have back up of every content or data from your ReadyNAS, why won't you just start over with a new set of drives or perhaps a new ReadyNAS system?

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You're using two ST2000DL003-9VT166 disks in slots 3 and 4.

These are known to drop out of RAID arrays with disk firmware older than CC3D. One of your disks (disk 4) has CC32 firmware and this can't be upgraded to CC3D firmware. The other disk 3 (has CC3C firmware) and this disk could be updated to CC3D firmware, but I would not update the firmware on the disk until all that can be recovered has been recovered off it.

You also have a ST2000DM001 disk in the NAS and those disks are known to have high failure rates. Having said that the SMART stats for this disk look fine.

The data volume array won't currently start so it would require some work to get it back going again. If you try to fix it yourself you risk making the problem worse and reducing the chances of a professional attempt working.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements