× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas RN104 hangs after FW-upgrade 6.5.1 with 99% booting

EddyV
Aspirant

ReadyNas RN104 hangs after FW-upgrade 6.5.1 with 99% booting

Hi all,

A week ago I've upgraded our ReadyNas 104 from v6.5.0 to v6.5.1

After reboot the NAS hangs on 99% booting... couple of days later pulled out the powerconnector (Powerbutton doesn't react), but the Nas gets stuck on 99% booting.

The Nas is our backupsystem and contains about 8TB data.

Please can somebody help me?

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNas RN104 hangs after FW-upgrade 6.5.1 with 99% booting

Each firmware release is QA tested, but in the unlikely event you run into problems after a firmware update it's nice to know that as a last resort you can restore from backup. It's best practice to update your backup before installing the firmware update.

You can choose not to install firmware updates however you would miss out on new features, bug fixes, security updates and other enhancements. If you contact support about a minor software issue and you are running old firmware one of the first suggestions is likely to be to update the firmware.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Did you try booting in read-only mode?

Message 2 of 9
EddyV
Aspirant

Yesss this works for now...

It ttok a while before I got some time to try this.

At ths moment the Nas is running in Readonly Mode through the network, Backup is running to get the many TB's in a save place.

Do you have a got suggestion what to do next?

Is factory default the only option?

Message 3 of 9
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello EddyV,

Have a full backup first then check in the admin page if the FW really updated. You might need to factory reset.

Regards,

Message 4 of 9
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello EddyV,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance. 
If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 5 of 9
EddyV
Aspirant

I'm sorry, but the moment of solution is still at work...

The backup is still running for days now. Nearly 8TB of data takes a long time to get it in save place.

At this moment there's 20% to go... After that I'm gonna reset to factory defaults as JennC suggested.

I will let you all know what happened after that action...

Regards, EddyV

Message 6 of 9
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello EddyV,

Alright. Let us know.

Regards,

Message 7 of 9
EddyV
Aspirant

Hi All,

After nearly a week of restoring the NAS is running 100% up now.

It seems that our second ReadyNAS RN104 has the same problems.

So I'm gonna make a backup of that one too. After that it's setting back to Factory Defauls and then perform a restore.

Stays my question: Why does Netgear pushing Firmware that is so very instable? Many users have stuck-problems. So our two RN104's too.

One thing I've learned about this: If it isn't broken, don't try to fix it. (If your system is perfectly running, do not make a Firmware upgrade).

Grtz EddyV

Message 8 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Each firmware release is QA tested, but in the unlikely event you run into problems after a firmware update it's nice to know that as a last resort you can restore from backup. It's best practice to update your backup before installing the firmware update.

You can choose not to install firmware updates however you would miss out on new features, bug fixes, security updates and other enhancements. If you contact support about a minor software issue and you are running old firmware one of the first suggestions is likely to be to update the firmware.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements