× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas RN104 - "Cannot Connect Discovery Server"

rozel
Aspirant

ReadyNas RN104 - "Cannot Connect Discovery Server"

Hi

I have this dreaded messsage displaying on the front of my ReadyNas.

It isn't a cosmetic issue either as I am unable to communicate with the ReadyNas via my Desktop by typing 192.168.1.81 (my fixed IP for the ReadyNas) into my web browser.  It also does not show in Windows Explorer.

I have had this unit for almost 2 years and it hasn't put a foot wrong until now.  It's updated to the latest 6.2.5 firmware, has 4 x 4Tb drives installed and I manage it to ensure it's no more than 3/4's full.  It is connected to my PC and Network via ethernet cable to my Router (which incorporates a Gigabit Switch).  I was working with it satisfactorily yesterday.  However when turning it on today, I see this message which coincided with not being able to see it in Windows Explorer.

I tried loging in to the ReadyNas but the connection times out.

I cannot ping it nor is it seen as a connected device when I log into my Router.

I have power cycled it on and off a few times as well as my PC but still no joy.  I have noticed that when turning it on and turning it off, it takes much longer each time than before this problem arose.

Finally I reinstalled the OS via the Boot Menu but alas this hasn't sorted the issue out either.

The IP address was fixed by my Router and I figure that if reinstalling the OS has somehow made it Dynamic, then my Router would reveal that it was connected to it, but it doesn't.  I have checked all my cable connections.

I am a very basic Network novice, I hate to say but hopefully someone may be able to help me?  I see this Display message cropping up over a few threads but none seem to reveal my problem - most posters seem to be able to communicate with their servers somehow.

Help please ???????

Thanks in anticipation

roz

Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Try downloading RAIDar 6.0 and see if it can discover the NAS.

If it does, it will give you the IP address it is actually using.  let us know if it is the reserved address.

Message 2 of 7
rozel
Aspirant

Hi and thank you for your quick post.

I am running Raidar 4.3.8 and this does not reveal my ReadyNas RN104.

I've tried downloading Raidar 6.0 but it says my PC needs a higher version of Java than it says I have, yet I have the latest Java installed.  But would the later version of Raidar reveal anything different?

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

RAIDar 6 does give you more information for OS6 NAS than RAID 4.3.8 (and has some new controls).

Though the old version will find the RN104 if it is on the air.

Perhaps try unplugging the network cable, and reconnecting it to the other port?

Message 4 of 7
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello rozel,

Try connecting the NAS straight to the computer. Then check RAIDar if it detects it.

If not, check if RAIDar will detect the ReadyNAS chassis when there is no disk inserted. Make sure you label the disks when you remove them from the chassis so you know which bay/slot they came from because you need to make sure to insert them back to thier respective bays, it is important to keep the data intact. Make sure the NAS is powered off before removing the disks and before inserting the disks.

Now, if the NAS is still not detected even with out the disks, contact support center. Possible for RMA chassis.

If the NAS is detected without the disks, it is possible that one (or more) of the disks is causing it. Contact support center

Regards,

Message 5 of 7
rozel
Aspirant

I was working today so have just picked up suggestions. Last night though, I did look at the back of the ReadyNas and noticed that the top port, which I was using was lit, but not flashing.  Placed the cable in the bottom port but nothing but not even lit.

Just now I unplugged the power cord and plugged it back in and powered the ReadyNas up.  Straight away the network light started flashing.  Powered the pc up and voila - I  can see the Readynas again in Windows Explorer!

Not sure what's happened here but to make sure I swapped the cable again to bottom port and back to top one and in both cases the lights flashed anc the ReadyNas was visible!

Any ideas what happened? The only thing I did was unplug the power cable, which was a very tight fit.

roz

Message 6 of 7
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello rozel,

Not sure what happened, but it seems there was a network interruption.

In case you get the same problem, try moving the NAS to another LAN port of the switch or router where it is connected then observe. If same and you have it connected to a switch, go straight to the router. What you can for now is observe and do some problem isolation.

Regards,

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements