× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas Ultra 2 Connecting to the RS232 Serial port to install vanilla Debian

Jawj
Aspirant

ReadyNas Ultra 2 Connecting to the RS232 Serial port to install vanilla Debian

I have been trying to connect to my ultra 2 and install a vanilla Debian OS onto it however i am having some issues.

I seem to be having trouble communicating with the NAS via the serial port. I have tried many diferent combinations of baud rate and partiy/flow control but can't seem to get it to work.

These are the two websites i have found most relevant: 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Community-Add-ons/Debian-Squeeze-Wheezy-on-Ultra-2/td-p/900491

https://nerdyness2012.wordpress.com/2015/03/31/installing-ubuntu-14-10-server-on-a-netgear-readynas-...

In particular i am having issues with this step-by-step guide:

"1. connect serial cable - verify that you can access the bios and similar over it
2. make an netinstall x86 debian usb stick - verify that it can boot another x86 machine
3. with serial cable connected and usb stick inserted, boot the ultra 2 with the backup-button on the unit held down to boot from usb. repeatedly hit the escape key on your keyboard while doing this to get the "boot:" prompt
4. type in "install video=off console=ttyS0,9600n8" (no quotes) and run through the installer as usual
5. profit"

I cannot seem to boot into the BIOS such that the "boot:" prompt is displayed on my PuTty terminal in step 3.

The only other bit of tinkering i have done to the Ultra 2 is install OS6 onto it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jawj

Message 1 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNas Ultra 2 Connecting to the RS232 Serial port to install vanilla Debian

With OS6 you already have Debian Wheezy, but not vanilla Debian. What do you want vanilla Debian for?

Message 2 of 5
Jawj
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. I know i already have Wheezy but i am having some issues with my plugins i've installed (particularly the cloud storage apps such as Pydio, Owncloud and Bittorrent Sync).

Most of my issues are fixed in the latest versions of these programs but these aren't available using the ReadyNas OS6. I have tried upgrading and installing latest versions but have had issues. Bascially i want the vanilla Debian install (Debian 8 or whatever the latest is) so that i can just simply add a repository and apt-get install the programs and have them updated using the developer repositories and/or the default Debian repositories.

As time goes on, this issue is only going to get worse (when other software is released etc.)

Thanks again

Message 3 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There might be newer versions of some of super-poussin's apps such as OwnCloud and pydio in his Dropbox: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Current-NETGEAR-and-Partners/Addons-available-For-R6/td-p/842756

If not, you could ask him if he can make a newer version.

As for the BTSync app perhaps you could ask at forum.bittorrent.com

With vanilla Debian you'd have to manage a lot of things on your own. There should be a way to install it but for me that would seem to be a lot more work than using OS6.

Message 4 of 5
Jawj
Aspirant

I understand. I know that I would have to manage a lot of things by myself - its part of the reason I want to do it. It is sort of a learning exercise for me. I have a few programs I want to write myself to test things out also. 

I still haven't had much luck connecting via the serial port.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements