× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas Ultra 2 - Installation Problems

silvercue
Aspirant

ReadyNas Ultra 2 - Installation Problems

Hi - just setting up my ReadyNas Ultra 2. I have purchsed 2x3TB Hitachi disks that are on recomended products list.

I understand I may have to upgrade the firmward to see the larger disks, but nothing is happening.

I can see the NAS, it has an IP, but it says no disks detected and setup button is greyed out. The status light is solid blue - not a flashing blue as indicated in Raidar Help files - so I don't know what the status is. It has been like this for 20 minutes.

I can't seem to find a way to upgrade firmware or do anything., I have only installed one disk so far as understand that I should install one disk, update firmware and factory reset then install second disk.

Any ideas what is wrong?
Message 1 of 8
yupsolo
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNas Ultra 2 - Installation Problems

got the same thing on my brand new Ultra 2.

I've got to do a factory reset.( to put settings back to their original value)

check the doc...
Message 2 of 8
silvercue
Aspirant

yupsolo wrote:
got the same thing on my brand new Ultra 2.

I've got to do a factory reset.( to put settings back to their original value)

check the doc...

Hi - I have done a factory reset and read all the documentation.

I can now see the drive as online, but the firmware is old and when I click set-up IE cannopt display the page.
Message 3 of 8
silvercue
Aspirant

=Rebooted everything including the NAS and now can get to set up, but when I change password it says successfully changed and then won;t let me log in!! 😞
Message 4 of 8
yupsolo
Aspirant

humm...

concentrate on updating the firmware first... do your password change later.

sorry, no more idea!
Message 5 of 8
silvercue
Aspirant

got password reset from security question. Had problems with volume size - after 3 factory resets now can see the drive so added a second and did factory reset....but the status light is yellow and although the disk lights show both disks as green Front View only sees one disk!!

I think it may be synching....but doesn' sayt that in the info. Will elave it for a while. Thought this would be easy.
Message 6 of 8
PapaBear1
Guide

If you are running 4.2.15 or lower, you MUST update the firmware to properly recognize the 3TB drives of any manufacturer with the possible exception of Seagates that have Smartsense. This can be done by starting the NAS with a smaller drive, it will only take about 15 minutes to set up the volume with all defaults, then upgrade the firmware to 4.2.16 or higher and then remove the small drive, install the 3TB drives and do another factory default.

Silvercue, you did not list the model of Hitachi 3TB drives. There are only two approved for use out of 5 different models shown on Newegg.
Message 7 of 8
silvercue
Aspirant

papabear - thanks.

I did know that was an option - the only problem is that I don't have any smaller drives available.

I *think* I have managed to sort it. I managed to upgrade firmware to the latest with the 3tb drive in. But I noticed it recognises the drive then, but only ~740 GB of it. I ended up doing muliple factory resets, adding the 2nd drive, resetting again and then the NAS recognised the 2 drives.

I left it with the yellow status light overnight as I beleived it was synching even though it did not state that in the RAIDar Info section. This morning looked OK, but not had time to try much. The status light is not green.

I have to say - I am very disapaointed with the documentation provided. I read the instructions from start to finish before I started and referred to them throughout - they told me absolutely nothing except check the compatibility list and follow the wizard. The manaul on the disc is not much better, so you have to come online - which is not always practical for some people working on a network.

Then the problem is that ALL of the KB article links I followed last night (password retreival, installing drives etc etc) are broken links, so I could only get help in this thread.

Although the help here is excellent (many thanks to all), it should not be like that for a very expensive product (to me anyway). The quality of docs is very, very poor and if I wasn't aware of this forum I would be stuck. For example I had already found out that I may need to upgrade firmware to use 3TB and read about it here. There is nothing in the documentation that helps with that.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements