× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Readynas 102 frozen after attempted firmware upgrade from v6.1.6 to v6.4.0

dvsu12
Tutor

Readynas 102 frozen after attempted firmware upgrade from v6.1.6 to v6.4.0

Hi all,

Attempted to updated my Readynas 102 last night from firmware version 6.1.6 to version 6.4.0.

The unit downloaded the update, but when it asked to reboot, it had lost connection with the Web UI and consequently would no longer respond to direct access via the Web UI, nor did the main power button respond to any input.

I powered it down after 10mins after still no response, and disconnected power and ethernet for a few minutes before restarting in the boot loader.

Boot loader works fine, however trying to access the options (i.e. OS reinstall) results in the same thing - unit restarts, power led blinks rapidly as it's booting, goes solid, then nothing. Power LED stays solid and the power button does not respond to input. 

It is basically like it is getting stuck during initial startup, does not even register that there is a disk in Bay 1. (FYI, drive is good as I have connected it to a SATA / USB adaptor and using R-Studion to attempt to recover the data on it)

RAIDar cannot find it on the network either.

Have a ticket open with support but no response yet.

Is there a way to force a firmware reset / update using the USB port/s?

Anything else I can do?

Thanks

Adam

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
dvsu12
Tutor

Cheers.

USB recovery back to the original 6.1.6 firmware got it working 100% again.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 10

All Replies
Meggl
Aspirant

Betreff: Readynas 102 frozen after attempted firmware upgrade from v6.1.6 to v6.4.0

Please let me know their answer. As far as I see, there several topics concerning 6.4 listed, so there must be a huge problem...

Message 2 of 10
dvsu12
Tutor

Betreff: Readynas 102 frozen after attempted firmware upgrade from v6.1.6 to v6.4.0

Honestly, I just want to get it working again back to v6.1.6. Had zero issues in the past 12 months with it otherwise.

Message 3 of 10
dvsu12
Tutor

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/RN104-upgraded-firmware-6-1-8-to-6-4-0-resultin...

Will be attempting the USB recovery method outlined above - will attempt to restore the v6.1.6 firmware.

Message 4 of 10
HWStigter
Apprentice

For my RN104 (originally running 6.3.5) I've done the USB recovery (cf. the instructions above) and have reinstalled the OS (the 'reset button procedure' to acces the boot menu cf. http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22891) but no improvement. I'm currently in 'Read-Only boot-mode"(same URL) and backing up whatever I normally don't backup so that I can do a 'factory default' afterwards (also explained on the same URL).

I will need at least 12 hours to copy off the remaining data, so I won't be able to tell you what my results are until tomorrrow, but I will update this information ASAP.

Message 5 of 10
dvsu12
Tutor

Cheers.

USB recovery back to the original 6.1.6 firmware got it working 100% again.
Message 6 of 10
HWStigter
Apprentice

I might do that if a factory default seems too much work (In my case that would man returning to 6.3.5), but I might use the opportunity to clean out the mess I've made the last couple of years Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 10
HWStigter
Apprentice

Erm, thats 6.2.5 off course...Smiley LOL

Message 8 of 10
HWStigter
Apprentice

And no luck putting back 6.2.5. The admin page is unaccessible and password recovery disabled. So I probably will have to factory default the thing.

One thing changed going back to 6.2.5 from 6.4.0 and that is that the SMB-shares are available now in read-write mode. But that isn't enough to mkake the system usable.

Ah well: As I said befgore it's an 'nice' way to be forced to clean out two years of data. I have a good backup (even less important stuff is now backed up) and starting afresh is something I might have wanted to do anyway.after such a period.

Message 9 of 10
sdheda
Aspirant

I ran into the same problem with my RN102. I was on firmware v6.1.9 and upgraded to v6.4.0 firmware through the web interface. After rebooting, the NAS was no longer accessible. I began to panic and searched online for an answer. I found this community and then this post.

Followed the USB Recovery procedure and it worked! I was able to go back to v6.1.9 and my data is still intact.

Note: The first USB drive I tried didn't do anything. Then I tried another one, which it liked more. Since the RN102 does not have an LCD screen it makes it difficult to tell what's going on. If the NAS does not shutdown a few minutes after powering it on with the Backup button pressed then try another USB stick.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements