× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas 4200 doesn't load OS

itops_jasper
Aspirant

Readynas 4200 doesn't load OS

After loading the latest Radiator version 6.4.1, our RM 4200 unit won't boot anymore. On the console during boot, the last two messages are: 

Loading initrd.gz 

Ready

Cannot find the unit on the network with RAIDar. Cannot perform OSresinstall or FactoryDefault from the boot menu. Result is always the same.

Please advise how to restore the original OS version and how get the unit back online. Thx,   Itops_jasper 

Message 1 of 9
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Readynas 4200 doesn't load OS

Hello itops_jasper,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear what happened after FW update. There must be something went wrong during the update. Please contact support center to have this checked, probably a hardware check may be performed.

Regards,

Message 2 of 9
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello itops_jasper,

Your unit is a ReadyNAS 4200 which is one of the OS4 legacy units, may I ask if you what was the FW version this NAS was running on before you updated to 6.4.1? We want to know if you were already using an older OS6 version or the OS4 firmware.

Regards, 

Message 3 of 9
itops_jasper
Aspirant

It was running 4.2.23 before the upgrade. I didn't pay close attention to the release notes and assumed it's safe to load the OS6. If this is the cause of the problem on our 4200, is there a way to get the previous OS back ? 

Best,   -Itops 

Message 4 of 9
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

Hi,

The ReadyNAS 4200 doesn't support upgrading from RAIDiator 4.2 to OS 6 natively. I'll find you some instructions for creating a USB Boot Recovery for RAIDiator 4.2

[edit] Here's instructions on how to setup the USB. http://home.bott.ca/webserver/?p=166 -- I'll have to work on getting something posted to the KB at a later time.

Message 5 of 9
itops_jasper
Aspirant

Thanks very much. I will try this at my earliest convenience and report back to this post. Thx. 

Message 6 of 9
itops_jasper
Aspirant

Followed the instructions, but was unable to perform recovery. After BIOS/LUN check, the 4200 now responds: "MBR missing operating system". It's not clear if the USB drive is actually working, and I have tried 3 different ones so far. Any advice is appreciated. 

Best, itops_jasper

Message 7 of 9
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

If you're getting MBR Missing operating system, have you modified the boot flash?.

MBR would relate to partitioning on the drive. Mabye it is getting formatted GPT? 

So this box doesn't get into ts mode at all? 

Message 8 of 9
itops_jasper
Aspirant

That's correct. I can't get into the previous state any longer. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements