× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Readynas 516 question concerning drives

muleycrazy
Aspirant

Readynas 516 question concerning drives

I have 4 disks in the readynas The fourth disk is colored in red & it advises to "Please Remove inactive volumes in order to use disk Disk#4" 

when i am in Raidar    it states that it's Xraid and below that is a New Volume icon & a format icon. when i click on the red colored disk (4th disk drive)  the format icon becames active. 

The question is can I format this fourth disk without losing data on the other 3??      

Thanks for the help!

There is nothing on disk 4 that i need to save.

Message 1 of 6
vandermerwe
Master

What firmware is on the 516?

What other disks are in the nas and what is disk 4 ( capacity and make/model).  What is the current volume size?  Why does Frontview say about the volume?

Did you have a 3 disk Xraid volume and add a disk?  

If so, does raidar say the 3 disk volume is redundant?

if you added a disk, did you hot add the disk, or did you put in with the nas off?

Was the disk 4 used or had you formatted it on another device.

Do you have a backup?

What I would suggest if this is a recently added disk and your existing 3 disk volume is still redundant, is to remove it with the nas on, wait about 10-15 seconds, then reinsert it.  If this doesn't work connect disk 4 to a PC and delete any partitions that are on it, do not format it on the pc.  Then reinsert it with the nas on.

Normally you would not be asked to format a new disk in Xraid if it is an appropriate disk.  Either there are partitions on it, or it is too small.

Message 2 of 6
muleycrazy
Aspirant

Firmware is 6.2.4

Disk 1 is WD Red 2tb

Disk 2 is WD Red 2tb

Disk 3 is WD Red 3tb

Disk 4 is WD Red 2tb

These disks were all in a Readynas RNDU4000

Upon getting the 516 I put in disk #1 & did a factory reset.   I then put in the other 3 disks in & disk 2 & 3 show fine on frontview.   I have also tried reinserting disk 4 with the nas on & also tried turning off the nas & then inserting disk 4.

I do not have a backup as of yet.

I am also using a Mac if that makes any difference or not?

thanks

Message 3 of 6
vandermerwe
Master

Have you put data on the volume?

i would remove disk 4, attach it to your Mac, delete any partitions then hot reinsert it.  Don't format it on the Mac.

if this does not work, then test disk 4 using wd lifeguard long test.

Make a backup.

Message 4 of 6
muleycrazy
Aspirant

i will try this!

Thanks for your help

Message 5 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi muleycrazy,

Just to add on to the response of vandermerwe to you, here is the link below where you can download the WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows:

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=612&sid=3

Cheers,

DaneA

Netgear Community Team

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements