× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas DUO V2 deletes files by itself

uwzl
Aspirant

Readynas DUO V2 deletes files by itself

I have a mysterious issue. There is a is a closed topic here about exactly the same issue without  Solution.

After several years of normal Operation, suddenly all content in my DLNA Videos folder was deleted by readynas itself (!).

Since this first occurence some weeks ago, EVERY file and folder in media/videos (DLNA isactivated) is DELETED automatically after some time. Photos/Music in media path are not affected. Other paths also work normal.

Factory reset with erasing the hdds did not help. If i put a video (also other file types/folder)) in Videos folder, i can access it normally for some time. But one day later, all files are gone😣

Do I have to buy a new NAS or ist there a hope for a solution for this serious bug? 

Firmware is latest. 2x3 Tb RAID1 (currently useless)

Uwe

Model: ReadyNAS RND2000v2|ReadyNAS Duo v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
uwzl
Aspirant

Re: Readynas DUO V2 deletes files by itself

The Readonly Tip worked. 

Meanwhile I have a suspect: My Satellite Receiver (Topfield 2401) has mounted the readynas Video Folder. You are generally able to delete files with it. 

I do not really know, what has happened on the Topfield, but after unmounting the Videos no files disappeared for a few days, eben with SMB R/W.

Thanks to StephenB!

Uwe

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

I haven't seen this one before.

What firmware is the NAS running?

If you turn off ReadyDLNA, does it still delete the files?

If you leave ReadyDLNA on, but turn off SMB on the share, does it still delete the files?

Message 2 of 10
uwzl
Aspirant

Firmware is 5.3.13

I have turned off DLNA and will try it.  Deletion happens typically after some time (hours up to one day. 

Uwe

Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Another question - do you have any backup jobs set up on the duo?

Message 4 of 10
uwzl
Aspirant

No backup jobs. Currently only 3 shares, as I do not trust the NAS. One is for my netatmo presence surveillance cam / ftp. Works normal. 

Uwe

Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@uwzl wrote:

No backup jobs. Currently only 3 shares, as I do not trust the NAS. One is for my netatmo presence surveillance cam / ftp. Works normal. 

Thanks.

It's hard to conceive of a mechanism where the NAS would do this deletion on it's own - especially when the behavior survived a factory reset.   Frankly it's more likely that something else on the network is doing it.  One possibility was a misconfigured backup job, as that can delete the contents of if the destination share.

I am thinking that disabling ReadyDLNA won't stop the problem, but think it's worth confirming that first. 

I'm also thinking that disabling all the file access protocols configured for the video share will stop it.  If I'm right about that, then we can look for the agent that is doing the deletion over the network.  If I'm wrong, then we clearly need to focus on what's happening in the NAS.

Message 6 of 10
uwzl
Aspirant

Turning Off DLNA did not help. Will disable SMB this evening. Better completely Disable SMB or readonly?

Uwe

Message 7 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@uwzl wrote:

Better completely Disable SMB or readonly?

Either should do, perhaps try readonly so you can see the share more easily.  If you do that, test the permissions by trying to delete a file.

Message 8 of 10
uwzl
Aspirant

The Readonly Tip worked. 

Meanwhile I have a suspect: My Satellite Receiver (Topfield 2401) has mounted the readynas Video Folder. You are generally able to delete files with it. 

I do not really know, what has happened on the Topfield, but after unmounting the Videos no files disappeared for a few days, eben with SMB R/W.

Thanks to StephenB!

Uwe

Message 9 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@uwzl wrote:

I do not really know, what has happened on the Topfield, but after unmounting the Videos no files disappeared for a few days, eben

I'm glad you tracked it down.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements