× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas Duo v2 3 flashes

cbiggins
Aspirant

Readynas Duo v2 3 flashes

Hi All,

The last few days my ReadyNas has not been able to start up.

All LED's flash 3 times followed by 2 x "1" LED flashes.

I have tried the ReadyNas with individual drives but this made no difference. 

Last time I left it to run if was like this for over 24hrs. 

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Christian

Model: ReadyNASRND2000v2|ReadyNAS Duo v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Readynas Duo v2 3 flashes

Your profile indicates that you have a Duo v1 hardware revision 2.

I'm not sure from your description but it sounds like you could have run into the "No disks detected" error.

Does your NAS show up in RAIDar?

Message 2 of 12
cbiggins
Aspirant

Hi mdgm,

Its an RND2000 v2. 

No, it doesn't appear in RAIDar.

Model: ReadyNASRND2000v2|ReadyNAS Duo v2 Chassis only
Message 3 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you confirm from reading this article: How to tell whether I have a Duo v1 or Duo v2 or NV+ v1 or NV+ v2?

Are you able to power down, hook your disks up to your PC and test their health e.g. test your SeaGate disks using SeaTools and your WD disks using WD Data LifeGuard Diagnostics?

Message 4 of 12
cbiggins
Aspirant

So, according to that post, it's a V1 (http://www.rnasguide.com/2012/01/09/how-to-tell-whether-i-have-a-duo-v1-or-duo-v2-or-nv-v1-or-nv-v2/...)

But, under the unit says 2000 V2. 

I'll make sure I say V1 from now on. 

I'm on a Mac, maybe I can use the in built tools to test them?

Model: RND2000v1|READYNAS DUO v1|EOL
Message 5 of 12
cbiggins
Aspirant

So, the available tools to us Mac users are limited.

I plugged the drives into my Macbook and while Disk Util was only fairly limited in functionality, I could see an issue with one of the drives.

Screen Shot 2017-03-01 at 12.13.30 pm.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-01 at 12.14.14 pm.png

With this in mind, I see myself having 2 options;

1. Replace the drive with the same model (unavailable from new, I would need to buy a 2nd hand drive.)

2. Replace both drives with some nice new drives. But, if I do that, can I get the data off my 1 good drive to put on the new ones?

I'd love any info/suggestions/recommendations. 

Thanks all.

Message 6 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Did you try booting up the NAS with just the good disk installed?

Were you using X-RAID?

Message 7 of 12
cbiggins
Aspirant

I tried booting using several combinations of both disks and individual disks.

The LED pattern is for 'no disks detected'. Which makes me think it's a ReadyNAS problem. 

If I was to buy a new ReadyNas (either the same model or a brand new one) can I just pop my disks in and away we go?

Message 8 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Re: Readynas Duo v1 3 flashes

@cbiggins wrote:

If I was to buy a new ReadyNas (either the same model or a brand new one) can I just pop my disks in and away we go?

I'd recommend an RN212 as a good replacement for your duo.  It is quite a bit faster, and of course more features.  I also suggest new disks for the new NAS.

The v1s became end-of-life in 2011, so if you get the same model you'd end up with a used replacement at best.

Unfortunately you can't directly migrate.  It is possible to temporarily mount the volume (read only) in a new NAS.  But with the v1's that requires assistance from support ( https://kb.netgear.com/29876/ReadyNAS-Migrating-disks-from-RAIDiator-4-1-or-RAIDiator-5-3-to-ReadyNA... )

Some customers have reported that Netgear wanted to charge for full data recovery though - even though they thought their volume was healthy.

Do you have any access to a windows PC?  There is a freeware tool that can read disk-1, but it isn't available on the mac.

Message 9 of 12
StefanP01
Aspirant

Hello,

can you share this freeware tool for us Windows users? I have about the same problem: wanting to access the Data on the RND2000 v1 which has broken down. I use a new Win 10 machine and connected the Disk 1 of the NAS via the SATA interface. 

Message 10 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@StefanP01 wrote:

Hello,

can you share this freeware tool for us Windows users? I have about the same problem: wanting to access the Data on the RND2000 v1 which has broken down. I use a new Win 10 machine and connected the Disk 1 of the NAS via the SATA interface. 

What freeware tool are you talking about?

Message 11 of 12
StefanP01
Aspirant

IN message 9 you talked about a freeware tool without mentioning which tool. 

I found the freeware tool: r-linux and it works fine. Thanks.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements