× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Readynas NV+ V1 - Mounting OS partition in support mode

Greg911P
Aspirant

Readynas NV+ V1 - Mounting OS partition in support mode

Hi All,

I'm a newbie to the forum but just wanted a definitive answer on whether it's possible to mount the OS partition from telnet support mode to clear up suspected problem log files. Alternatively, is there a way to enable SSH from telnet support mode.

I did see an article on mounting the OS partition from support mode but it needed mdadm which isn't available on the NV+ V1. There were other articles talking about using another
command fuse-ext3 but that's not there either. How does the boot loader mount the file system under normal conditions ? Are there alternative commands or is it managed by one of the
background daemon processes that run ?

I know I can do both from FrontView, but that's my problem at the moment the interface login timesout. I can access shares and do everything else just fine, so I suspect the OS partition may be full and is stopping me connecting the Frontview GUI.

Advice appreciated.

p.s. I know I can do a full factory reset to clear the logs, but I want to keep my data on there if possible (without having to move it away and back).

Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 16
lexisgr8
Tutor

Greg911P, Did you ever find out how to do this? I've ended up in a similar situation after forgetting to enable SSH before upgrading the firmware. Frontview isn't accessible (Apache is not running I guess) probably because I've got PHP5 installed, and I can't SSH in (in all other regards the box is working fine). I've booted into tech support mode, but like you, I can't work out how to mount the boot partition without MDADM. I'm pretty sure that all I need to do once I mount the FS in tech support mode is to prevent PHP from loading and all will be well again.

I'm wanting to do this now simply because I want to upgrade the firmware to 4.1.14 [T5] to deal with the bash ShellShock vulnerability.

If you did work it out (or anybody else for that matter), I'd really appreciate a hint! 🙂

Thanks
Message 2 of 16
chirpa
Luminary

In telnet mode, try using:
# start_raid.sh
# mount /dev/md0 /sysroot
Message 3 of 16
mtakacs
Aspirant

that's awesome, I had seen a post over here describing what looks like the same thing:

http://onlyblueatwork.wordpress.com/tag/readynas/

which boiled down to :

echo DEVICE partitions > /etc/mdadm.conf
mdadm --examine --scan >> /etc/mdadm.conf
mdadm --assemble --scan
mount /dev/md0 /mnt

I like the start_raid.sh better.

Is there a way to mount the data drives for recovery purposes as well?

Thanks,
-Mark
Message 4 of 16
chirpa
Luminary

If I recall, something like this should work:
# mount -t proc proc /proc
# chroot /sysroot
# mount /dev/md2 /dev/c/c
Message 5 of 16
chirpa
Luminary

You can probably start Samba manually by that point also.
# /etc/init.d/samba start

Remember to unmount everything cleanly before rebooting.
Message 6 of 16
lexisgr8
Tutor

Thanks all. mdgm connected to my NV+ and got me out of the hole in no time at all.

mdadm is not on the older spark boxes, so that can't be used. I'm also configured for X-RAID so not trying to mount md0, but instead hdc1
Thus:
# /bin/start_raid.sh
# mount /dev/hdc1 /sysroot

mdgm really made my weekend. His responsiveness was stellar and he had me fixed up in a matter of minutes!
Message 7 of 16
kcallis
Aspirant

I ran across this post and almost back in the running. For some reason, my nv+, although pingable, could not ssh or get to my shares.

I am not sure what went wrong, so I telnet via tech support method. I was very happy to see all of my data still sitting there. I did the /bin/start_raid.sh and did the mount.

What do I need to do to figure out what I need in order to get the system booting normal. Like the OP, I am doing RAID-X, so I was not able to chroot or get samba running.

Also, is there a way to enable telnet so I can reboot and then telnet with normal credentials or do I have to use tech support mode?
Message 8 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You could install EnableRootSSH (if you have not already) via the GUI after the problem is fixed. Using SSH has the same support implications as using telnet mode. Support may be unable to help e.g. if their opinion is that you may have messed things up using it.

Enabling telnet in normal mode wouldn't be a good idea as SSH is much more secure. We use telnet for local access to a NAS in telnet mode as with that low level diagnostic mode we want to be able to connect in as many different situations as possible. Telnet is great for that.

Flex-RAID uses a custom mdconfig on Sparc (different to mdadm but uses md devices) but most users would use X-RAID.

You can check for a full OS partition using df and use e.g. du to see where the problem is.

Both of these commands are available on the OS partition.

Message 9 of 16
kcallis
Aspirant

I have ssh working. I didn't do anything then I normally do, but noticed
that all of a sudden i could not access my shares, i could not login to the
admin interface, and could not ssh into the box. I can only ping and the
dhcp address is assigned.
Message 10 of 16
kcallis
Aspirant

Also, I agree about telnet, but wanted to see if I could access my box while it is running normally, although I doubt I would be able to access the port. Just trying to figure up what is the issue.
Message 11 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well the first thing to check for is the OS partition being full either by data or the inodes all being used up.

If it's full of data then the du command can be used to see what's filling it (probably a huge log file). Typically we would copy the huge log file onto the data volume (just in case that information is relevant for future troubleshooting) and then empty it.

If it's inode then a different command would be needed and you'd be looking for a huge number of small files on the OS partition.

The OS partition is 2GB in size.

Message 12 of 16
kcallis
Aspirant

I chrooted sysroot, but although my /hone/user it's mounted, none of my shares are mounted. Is that where I am having an issue? 

Message 13 of 16
kcallis
Aspirant

Or was I  suppose to mount /proc before starting the start_raid.sh?

Message 14 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

/proc is already mounted.

If you are wanting to chroot then you need to run a mount command to be able to access /proc whilst in the chroot

Message 15 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Replied to your PM.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements