× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas NV+ wouldn't boot, replaced bad drive, now X-raid won't start (case 26403160)

thewinston
Aspirant

Readynas NV+ wouldn't boot, replaced bad drive, now X-raid won't start (case 26403160)

ReadyNAS NV+ [X-RAID]

RAIDiator 4.1.6 [1.00a043] 

4x 2TB Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166  Green drives

I was using ~4.5TB out of the 6.

I had an open chat case 26403160 but I can't seem to get connected to chat again since my unit is out of warranty.

I had a warning that Drive 1 had an ATA count increase (from 2764 to 2767) in December.  I have a spare drive so I figured I would wait it out since that's what I could surmise was the best option.  Apparently I chose pooorly.

The NAS would not boot (it was stuck saying "booting... Found bad disc 3".  I went through the following steps:

- power cycle: still stuck on "booting, found bad disk"

- powered down, pulled drive 3, powered up, : still stuck on "booting, found bad disk"

- powered down, put disk 3 back in, held down the button to get to the mem test.  Mem tested OK

- powered down, pulled and reseated all 4 disks and powered back up, : still stuck on "booting, found bad disk"

- powered down, pulled disk 1, then it booted.  At that point I got an e-mail saying "xraid failed to start"  and "missing shared detected"  Disk 2-4 were in existance but no shares were.  I grabbed the log files and contacted customer service

- Customer service looked at my logfiles and told me to replace drive 1.

- off-line I used seatools and it identified disk 1 failed "long generic" and "short generic" tests.

- I powered it down, inserted a new drive 1, and powered it back up.  The new drive 1 is the same model as the others are.  I had plugged it into my Win7PC and deleted the logical drive so it was "bare"

- When I powered it up, I got the same e-mail that "xraid failed to start"  and "missing shared detected"  I immediately pulled the logs.  The NAS seemed sluggish. Resync volumes is not an available button.

- It sees all 4 drives.  It says that Drives 1 & 2 are empty and drives 3&4 have no space.

My thoughts for next step:

1) Using my PC, try to clone Drive 1 to the new drive and try again.  Maybe my PC can salvage enough data.

2) Factory re-set, cry a little, and start over.  I have backups of critical info but I will have lost some non-critical info. 

3) Novel and innovative idea that the community has. 

Let me know what your thoughts are.  I have recent logs and december logs from with Disc 1 threw the ATA count increased.

Other notes:

- I have always had trouble copying large files to this NAS.  This was a problem when it was 2x750GB drives and when it was 4x2TB drives. I had open cases and community posts but it never really was fixed.

- I power cycle it daily with the timer feature so it's not on when no one is going to use it

thanks!!

Winston

Message 1 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Readynas NV+ wouldn't boot, replaced bad drive, now X-raid won't start (case 26403160)

You could try cloning the failed disk. Best to use something like e.g. dd_rescue which is designed for working with a source disk that is failing.

You could also contact support and enquire about purchasing a data recovery contract.

Message 2 of 4
thewinston
Aspirant

Re: Readynas NV+ wouldn't boot, replaced bad drive, now X-raid won't start (case 26403160)

So I cloned my bad disk 1 to a clean drive with "HDD Raw Copy Tool" because I don't have linux for dd_rescue.  It completed but had one error during the transfer - "cyclic redundancy check" so I assume there are bad sectors on the disk.

I installed this cloned disk in drive 1 and it stalled "booting... ERR: Bad Firmware"

I pulled disk one out and it would boot and looked the same as before with disk 1 missing... Disk 2 is empty and disks 3,4 have no available space, and XRaid does not load and no shares are found.

Any other ideas before I do a factory reset?  I have some non-critical data I'm losing and I'm not thrilled about starting my configuration from scratch.

thanks,

Winston

Message 3 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You need to use a tool that is designed to clone a failing disk.

If you can't boot off a Linux Live CD and run dd_rescue or find a similar tool for Windows then support can try cloning the failed disk if they determine that is needed (it may not be). However they would charge for the time they work on cloning the disk (I think this is done at data recovery rates which is $200 USD per hour work performed). Note this is not the time the cloning takes (which may be some hours) but the time that they spend entering commands, monitoring it etc. Data recovery may be unsuccessful.

It really depends how important your data is to you what you should do. In future, I would suggest regular backups.

Support didn't attach your logs to your case. Can you send them to me (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements