× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas Ultra 4 Plus no valid volume exists #25703630

Moto
Aspirant

Readynas Ultra 4 Plus no valid volume exists #25703630

Help! I had a power failure today, and now I am getting a "no valid volume exists" and cannot access any of the shares on the NAS, although they are listed in Finder on my Mac.  However, I cannot access the folders, even though they are listed.  I tried a hard reboot and a soft reboot with no luck.  I need access to my files ASAP for a trial!  Please tell me what I can do to access them again!

Message 1 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Readynas Ultra 4 Plus no valid volume exists #25703630

Hi Moto,

Support needs you to reply to their email so they can escalate your case.

Message 2 of 15
Moto
Aspirant

I have replied, thanks.

Message 3 of 15
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Moto,

Looks like you need data recovery contract. Maybe best to call support for more explanation.

Regards,

Message 4 of 15
Moto
Aspirant

The Level 2 tech said that there was some sort of problem mounting the drives, and that they could be manually re-mounted.  However, it has been escalated to Level 3 and I have not heard from them yet.  Apparently there is a failing drive that the Level 2 guy thought could be replaced and fix  the problem .  . . fingers crossed.  He did say that he didn't think that the data was at risk.

Message 5 of 15
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Motto,

Yes it has been escalated from L1 to L2 and L3. I checked your records and found that L3 requries data recovery for the issue you have on the NAS. The L2 tech has not updated you yet, I saw that you ahve already asked for an update. L2 tech who escalated this case is probably not around yet. It seems some thing with the partition is the problem.

Regards,

Message 6 of 15
Moto
Aspirant

Thanks for the response.  But isn't that the whole purpose of a RAID array . . . to keep your data backed up if there is a failure of a drive? I now need to hire a data recovery person to pull the data off the 4 drives and reformat?  Is that a remote service or . .   

I still haven't been able to get in touch with someone to explain what is going on . . .

Message 7 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@Moto wrote:

Thanks for the response.  But isn't that the whole purpose of a RAID array . . . to keep your data backed up if there is a failure of a drive?

As it says in the Ultra user  manual:

Note: X-RAID2 does not replace backups. See the article, Preventing Catastrophic Data Loss at http://www.readynas.com/?p=3153.

X-RAID2 keeps your data available through routine disk replacements and also when you are expanding the storage capacity.  But it is not enough to keep your data safe.  

I do hope you will get your data back without too much cost.  I believe the Netgear recovery service is normally done remotely, though I am not certain if they always can do it that way.

Also, I suggest getting a UPS for the NAS.

Message 8 of 15
Moto
Aspirant

Thanks,  So I need a backup server for my server . . . got it. 😞  Data recovery is apparently done remotely for $200, but if I get all the data back, I'm happy, I guess.  L3 says that the four disk drives have lost all of their partitiions, which must now be recreated, and need data recovery to do that.  No one has yet explained to me what could cause 4 disk drives to lose all of their partitions -- a bit of info that I would really like to know, so that I can make sure that I avoid it in the future!  So if I get my data back, which is apparently likely, I should line up some cloud storage to back all of the NAS data to every night or whatever?

Message 9 of 15
StephenB
Guru

Its not that uncommon to lose data when the power fails, which is why I suggested the UPS.  That allows the NAS to do a normal shutdown if the power failure lasts long enough to drain the UPS battery.

There are several ways to approach backup

-use USB drives

-get a second NAS.  For instance an RN104, and back up to that.  Perhaps use jbod on the backup to reduce the cost.

-back up to dedicated hard drives inside a desktop PC

-use a cloud backup that supports NAS.

I've used the last three (currently backing up my pro-6 daily to smaller NAS, and using CrashPlan for disaster recovery).

Message 10 of 15
Moto
Aspirant

After signing up for the data recovery, I have heard nothing in over 24 hours. Is there a trick to actually speaking with someone to find out what is going on?  I'm not sure what exactly they are doing but I think that they are creating new partitions remotely.

Message 11 of 15
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Moto,

cases like yours need to be picked up first by an L3. Then give at at least 24-48 hrs.

It is weekend, not sure if there are L3 who work on weekends but I think there is. I suggest calling tonight to ask for an update.

Regards,

Message 12 of 15
Moto
Aspirant

Thanks for your quick response . . . it was escalated to L3 on Thursday.  L3 yesterday morning (Friday) was allegedly going to get back to me by last night.  Nothing . . .   I know this isn't a "bitch about tech support" thread, so I'll try to restrain myself, but i've got a trial starting Tuesday and I need to get the NAS back up and running for it!   But you guys are great!  It's nice to know that these things are monitored!  Thanks.  If you have access to my case files, perhaps you can see what is going on . . .

Message 13 of 15
carlfredrikm
Aspirant

How did you solve it?

Message 14 of 15
Moto
Aspirant

L3 support rebuilt the volumes so that I could access the volumes on the NAS.  I then bought an external USB drive and backed up all of my data from the NAS.  I have to say that Netgear Tech Support was excellent.  Although the L3 assigned to my case was good, it was impossible to resolve anything with him because he was based in China  +13 hours from me.   Thus, "reboot the NAS" would take 24 hrs or so from whn I woke up and saw the message, to when I found out what I had to do next.  I asked to be assigned an L3 in the USA so that I could at least be near the same time zone, and I received a call from an L3 in California who walked me through all of the remaining issues after we acessed the volumes, to make sur eeverything was running correctly.  All in all, resolution took a while, but $275 was a hell of a lot better than what the local "data recovery" companies wanted to charge ($3000+)!

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements