× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Readynas beta for Lion (AFP fix) hoses Mac

dougo
Aspirant

Readynas beta for Lion (AFP fix) hoses Mac

Hi,

First, thanks for your quick work addressing the Readynas Lion problems. For some reason, it's not working for me.

I've got an NV+. I installed the Readynas beta for Lion to get afp working again.

The afpd on the NAS is segfaulting in a loop. Something is working just well enough in the process that the mount attempt never gives up on my mac. Since the mount is underway, the finder is mostly useless and I can't cancel the mount. I can't do much of anything. It took a couple of tries until I restarted the NAS and completely disabled AFP on the it before I was able to do much of anything after I logged in on the Mac (my login items mount an AFP volume... it hoses things up enough that I couldn't bring up the settings utility to turn off the login item).

Hilarity.

Looking at the sourceforge code for netatalk, I don't see direct snprintf, but I'm guessing this may be some sort of a logging failure? That seems to be the main place that formatting is done?

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.

[this repeats forever...]

Jul 21 19:25:02.889424 afpd[2811] {uams_dhx2_pam.c:321} (I:UAMS): DHX2 login: XXXX
Jul 21 19:25:04.094334 afpd[2811] {uams_dhx2_pam.c:210} (I:UAMS): PAM DHX2: PAM Success
Jul 21 19:25:04.109204 afpd[2811] {uams_dhx2_pam.c:653} (I:UAMS): DHX2: PAM Auth OK!
Jul 21 19:25:04.109544 afpd[2811] {auth.c:269} (N:AFPDaemon): AFP3.3 Login by XXXX
Jul 21 19:25:04.111969 afpd[2811] {auth.c:677} (N:AFPDaemon): afp_disconnect: trying primary reconnect
Jul 21 19:25:09.116178 afpd[2811] {auth.c:710} (E:AFPDaemon): afp_disconnect: primary reconnect failed
Jul 21 19:25:09.158863 afpd[2811] {volume.c:2129} (W:AFPDaemon): volume "USB_HDD_14" does not support Extended Attributes, using ea:ad instead
Jul 21 19:25:09.159925 afpd[2811] {volume.c:2036} (I:AFPDaemon): CNID server: localhost:4700
Jul 21 19:25:09.164454 afpd[2811] {fault.c:122} (S:Default): ===============================================================
Jul 21 19:25:09.164755 afpd[2811] {fault.c:123} (S:Default): INTERNAL ERROR: Signal 11 in pid 2811 (2-2-0-p5)
Jul 21 19:25:09.164975 afpd[2811] {fault.c:124} (S:Default): ===============================================================
Jul 21 19:25:09.165797 afpd[2811] {fault.c:96} (S:Default): BACKTRACE: 2 stack frames:
Jul 21 19:25:09.166098 afpd[2811] {fault.c:102} (S:Default): #0 /lib/libc.so.6(snprintf+0x1c) [0x201d0cd4]
Jul 21 19:25:09.166338 afpd[2811] {fault.c:102} (S:Default): #1 /usr/sbin/afpd(afp_options_parseline+0x166) [0x1c5d2]
Jul 21 19:25:09.168162 afpd[2168] {main.c:188} (I:AFPDaemon): child[2811]: killed by signal 6
Jul 21 19:25:09.271488 afpd[2835] {dsi_tcp.c:212} (I:DSI): AFP/TCP session from 192.168.123.112:49461
Jul 21 19:25:09.276759 afpd[2168] {server_ipc.c:231} (E:AFPDaemon): Reading IPC header failed (-1 of 14 bytes read): Resource temporarily unavailable
Message 1 of 22
Chewbacca
Aspirant

What version of Raidiator were you using before the upgrade?

Can you send in your logs so I can take a look at them.
Message 2 of 22
dougo
Aspirant

Sorry, but I don't know the version. It was the latest. I had checked to see if I could get a standard upgrade that might fix the Lion thing before I tried the beta and it told me I was up to date.

Sending logs -- absolutely, you bet. Where do I send logs and what form do you like them in?
Message 3 of 22
Chewbacca
Aspirant

Directions to send logs are in my signature.
Message 4 of 22
dougo
Aspirant

Hm. So, I had an 8M log and was rejected because it was too large.

If you want to tell me some subset of logs I can zip them up for you explicitly?

Thanks again...
Message 5 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Try unzipping the logs, removing the backup job logs then zip them up again and try sending it to him again.
Message 6 of 22
kraney
Aspirant

I'm having the same problem - posted in viewtopic.php?f=17&t=55161&start=15

I found that I can connect fine as guest or another user. I only get the core dump when connecting as myself. This means time machine works fine since it uses the ReadyNAS ID. I get the difference from my account versus another even connecting to the same, brand new, empty share.

I thought it might have to do with auth info coming from the keychain, so I removed the saved password. No change.
Message 7 of 22
kraney
Aspirant

I took packet captures when doing a successful mount using an alternate account and when failing using my own account, and compared.

There were only two differences up to the point where netatalk segfaulted, and they were both extra requests from the client on the failed side.

The Lion client did a 'FPMapID' request after getting user info, to map my numeric UID to my username. That returned a result so I don't think it's directly related to the problem.

Later, the lion client did an 'FPAccess' request on the share name. Shortly later, the connection is reset. I see this pattern recurring. Sometimes the client makes a second request before getting the RST (without waiting for a reply from fpaccess,) but that second request matches the behavior of the working username. The working username never makes a FPAccess request at all. FPAccess never returns a result at all.

It looks to me like there's a bug in netatalk's implementation of the FPAccess command. I see on the forum that other people who aren't seeing crashes are having problems with incorrect permissions on a share, only when using their own user ID. Since FPAccess is used to determine whether the user has access to a file, I bet that bug is directly related to this one. It's just a matter of what bad data the FPAccess function reads - garbage it can deal with, or garbage that causes a segfault.
Message 8 of 22
CharlesLaCour
Aspirant

By any chance is you UID/GID on your Mac the same as on the ReadyNAS? I was having an issue like this and I changed my accounts UID/GID on the NAS and it is working OK. I change it back and it starts to fail again.
Message 9 of 22
kraney
Aspirant

...and in fact, I think I see the bug. It's in the UUID lookup function.

If the UUID is not found in the cache, and is not a local UID or GID, and you do not have LDAP, then everything falls through and an uninitialized NULL name is added to the cache as the ID corresponding to the UUID, and then it tries to log it. It seems to me like that fall through should return an error.

in libatalk/acl/uuid.c

217 int getnamefromuuid(const uuidp_t uuidp, char **name, uuidtype_t *type) {
218 int ret = 0;
219 uid_t uid;
220 gid_t gid;
221 struct passwd *pwd;
222 struct group *grp;
224 if (search_cachebyuuid(uuidp, name, type) == 0) {
225 /* found in cache */
226 LOG(log_debug, logtype_afpd,
227 "getnamefromuuid{cache}: UUID: %s -> name: %s, type%s: %s",
228 uuid_bin2string(uuidp),
229 *name,
230 (*type & UUID_ENOENT) == UUID_ENOENT ? "[negative]" : "",
231 uuidtype[(*type) & UUIDTYPESTR_MASK]);
232 if ((*type & UUID_ENOENT) == UUID_ENOENT)
233 return -1;
234 return 0;
235 }
237 /* not found in cache */
239 /* Check if UUID is a client local one */
240 if (memcmp(uuidp, local_user_uuid, 12) == 0) {
241 *type = UUID_USER;
242 uid = ntohl(*(uint32_t *)(uuidp + 12));
243 if ((pwd = getpwuid(uid)) == NULL) {
244 /* not found, add negative entry to cache */
245 add_cachebyuuid(uuidp, "UUID_ENOENT", UUID_ENOENT, 0);
246 ret = -1;
247 } else {
248 *name = strdup(pwd->pw_name);
249 add_cachebyuuid(uuidp, *name, *type, 0);
250 ret = 0;
251 }
252 LOG(log_debug, logtype_afpd,
253 "getnamefromuuid{local}: UUID: %s -> name: %s, type:%s",
254 uuid_bin2string(uuidp), *name, uuidtype[(*type) & UUIDTYPESTR_MASK]);
255 return ret;
256 } else if (memcmp(uuidp, local_group_uuid, 12) == 0) {
257 *type = UUID_GROUP;
258 gid = ntohl(*(uint32_t *)(uuidp + 12));
259 if ((grp = getgrgid(gid)) == NULL) {
260 /* not found, add negative entry to cache */
261 add_cachebyuuid(uuidp, "UUID_ENOENT", UUID_ENOENT, 0);
262 ret = -1;
263 } else {
264 *name = strdup(grp->gr_name);
265 add_cachebyuuid(uuidp, *name, *type, 0);
266 ret = 0;
267 }
268 return ret;
269 }
271 #ifdef HAVE_LDAP
272 ret = ldap_getnamefromuuid(uuid_bin2string(uuidp), name, type);
273 if (ret != 0) {
274 LOG(log_warning, logtype_afpd, "getnamefromuuid(%s): no result from ldap_getnamefromuuid",
275 uuid_bin2string(uuidp));
276 add_cachebyuuid(uuidp, "UUID_ENOENT", UUID_ENOENT, 0);
277 return -1;
278 }
279 #endif
281 add_cachebyuuid(uuidp, *name, *type, 0);
283 LOG(log_debug, logtype_afpd, "getnamefromuuid{LDAP}: UUID: %s -> name: %s, type:%s",
284 uuid_bin2string(uuidp), *name, uuidtype[(*type) & UUIDTYPESTR_MASK]);
286 return 0;
287 }
Message 10 of 22
kraney
Aspirant

As a matter of fact, my ID number is the same on my mac and the readynas.
Message 11 of 22
kraney
Aspirant

..and changing the UID of my account to a different number does resolve the problem. I guess that gets the Lion client not to use FPAccess.
Message 12 of 22
delhux
Aspirant

I am experiencing this same issue.

How do I change the UID of my account on the ReadyNAS?
Message 13 of 22
kraney
Aspirant

I can confirm from taking packet traces that if the UID on the readynas doesn't match the UID on the mac, it changes the behavior of Lion so it doesn't ask for FPAccess.

In order to change my UID on the readynas, I did the following:
1. Log in as root
2. Edit /etc/passwd. (I used vi but if you're not a vi guy you might want to use nano. I think there are instructions for setting up nano somewhere on the forum.)
Look for the line that starts with your account name. That line will have your username, a string of characters (which is your encrypted password,) then your UID and your group ID. Change your UID to a number not in use by any other user in the file. Then save and quit the editor.
3. Now you need to change the ownership of all files belonging to your old UID to your new UID. Use this command (still running as root)
find / -uid <oldid> -exec chown <username> {} \;
that stuff at the end is open curly brace, close curly brace, space, backslash, semicolon, and it's all important so don't leave it out.

The find command may take a very long time to finish its job, depending on how full your disk is.

Example line in /etc/passwd. In this example, the number 502 is the UID that needs to be changed:

badacct:$1$Wasdf$6gga3$jgK3djKwypT/:502:100:somebody@example.com:/c/home/badacct:/bin/bash

And in this example, the find command would need to be:

find / -uid 502 -exec chown badacct {} \;
Message 14 of 22
dougo
Aspirant

Beautiful, thanks so much. I was just getting to the same place.

I'd made the uids the same because, before AFP worked as well as it does, I'd been trying NFS. I'm very happy to make the uids different if that restores peace and harmony. (I'd had the same experience that mounting the same mount from a different account works, and there are weird permission inconsistencies that show up as well).

This looks like a find, but I'll report back after I "fix" my uid's.

Doug
Message 15 of 22
CharlesLaCour
Aspirant

I usually try to avoid editing the /etc/passwd file directly. Using the same info as in the example above by kraney lets say you want to change the UID of the badacct account to 5001 I would use:
usermod -u 5001 badacct

This command may take a bit of time to run because it will update the ownership of the files in badacct's the home directory.

I consider this a workaround not a fix.
Message 16 of 22
dougo
Aspirant

Sooooo, if I change the uid of "doug" I can mount my drive now. But it comes up as read only.

So, I'm hoping our good Readynas folks will get us a patch so that I can mount as myself... or that someone has a hint as to what I'm missing out on.

Doug
Message 17 of 22
dougo
Aspirant

(never mind on the permission thing... cockpit error resulting from some of the other changes I was trying...)
Message 18 of 22
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

kraney wrote:

Yes, indeed that is a bug. Thank you for spending the time to track that down! We'll try to get a new build out soon with this fixed.
Message 19 of 22
pjc1
Aspirant

Skywalker wrote:
kraney wrote:

Yes, indeed that is a bug. Thank you for spending the time to track that down! We'll try to get a new build out soon with this fixed.

Did this get fixed in T9? (I didn't see it listed in the release notes.)
Message 20 of 22
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

Yes, it's in there.
Message 21 of 22
delhux
Aspirant

What is the best way to get this working under 4.1.6 on my NV+?

I tried kraney's suggestion, but it did not seem to change the behavior (though, I did get a couple of "No such file or directory" errors after running the chown command).

I'd rather stick with 4.1.6, as everything else is working right now... 🙂
Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements