× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Remote and Local FTP access?

ferrold1
Guide

Remote and Local FTP access?

Hi guys,

Have a small issue that I thought someone might be able to help me with.

I am running an FTP service using the settings below on my Ultra 6 and it has been working like a charm for remote access for the last 6 months.

Port: 21
Authentication mode: User
Allow upload resumes: Enabled
Passive ports: <Port range>
Masquerade as: <My fixed public IP>

However on some occasions I would like to access my NAS via Filezilla (from my Mac) on my LAN in order to transfer large amounts of files.
This is currently only possible if I change the Masquerade address to the NAS' local IP and effectively cutting off remote access for a period of time until I manually change it back to the public IP.

Is there a workaround so that I don't have to change the address every time I want to do local access?
My old NAS products did not have this masquerade function as a possibility and would gladly accept connections on the local and public address without me having to make any changes.

Hope the above makes sense and that someone might be able to help me out...

Br,
Christian
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

I use FileZilla also (but on Windows). The ReadyNAS is set to always use its local IP (masquerade is set to its hostname).

But FileZilla has a setting under connection/ftp/passive mode which tells it to failover to the server's IP address instead.

So if everyone is using FileZilla, you shouldn't need to keep reconfiguring, you should be able to leave the masquerading set to readynas hostname.

Another option is to use active mode.
Message 2 of 5
scottdr
Tutor

I've been trying for weeks to access the ReadyNAS remotely via FTP (FileZilla would be great )or HTTPS. I had set up READYNAS REMOTE for my users, but it just stopped working (ideas? DO I have to uninstall/reinstall?).

My NAS IP address LOCALLY is fixed (192.168.0.25), but the true IP into the location is dynamic (constantly updated by the cable company), so I registered a domain name with DYNDNS (givenname.dyndns-server.com) to continually resolve it and opened port 21 on my router (tested it successfully with port forwarding), but still can't get to the NAS with that domain name. I get a connection time-out message. Tried both Fizezilla AND just the URL name in the browser window.

I know I must be doing something wrong, maybe in the way I specify the domain name or configure with FRONTVIEW FTP access. Here's the FTP setting in Frontview:

Port: 21
Authentication Mode: User
Allow Upload Resumes: Disabled
Passive Ports: 1024 (should this be a range??)
Masquerade as: mydyndnsname.dyndns-server.com (assigned when applying to DYNDNS)

Any help or pointing to a user doc to help me would be greatly appreciated. Very frustrating!
Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Here's a link here: viewtopic.php?p=328515#p328515
Message 4 of 5
ferrold1
Guide

Changed the masquerade as to my hostname, so now i can reach it on the public IP from outside and the local IP on my LAN.
Thought the masquerade had to be my public ip, ut this seems to be working fine.

@scottdr - you should use the following settings

Port: 21 (or whatever you might prefer, but 21 is default for FTP)
Authentication mode: User (if you want some security, don't forget to create the users)
Alow Upload Resume: Enabled (if you want people to be able to resume uploads of larger files that might fail along the way)
Passive ports: This should be a range - I personally use 5000 - 5020, but i don't think that's highly important, just make sure you choose something in the high range tha's not already in use.
Masquerade as: could be your public ip (if it's static), your dyndns or your hostname (the name of your nas on the local network) as you can see from my previous post.

After creating these setting make sure you NAT the ftp ports (20 and 21) AND! your passive range to the ReadyNAS' internal IP.

When this is done make sure you enable FTP access to the shares you want - This is done under shares in the ReadyNAS GUI.

This ought to work, if not drop me a line... Know how frustrating these things can be sometimes :-)w
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements