× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Renaming RN314 (RAIDiator 4.2.28 )

haullussy
Aspirant

Renaming RN314 (RAIDiator 4.2.28 )

Hi,

I replaced my old ReadyNAS Pro for a ReadyNAS 314 and moved the disks to my new RN314. In the ReadyNAS admin page, I see that the hostname is READYNAS, which I want. In my router I changed the name to READYNAS also. So, I can still use \\READYNAS to access my files the way I always did. However, in my network the RN314 is still visible as the cryptic NAS-E6-10-B@, which I definitely do not want.

Does anybody has a clue how I can change this?

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
haullussy
Aspirant

Re: Renaming RN314 (RAIDiator 4.2.28 )

Ah, I see the problem, I think I cannot just move the disks from an old NAS with a different OS to a new one. I will do a factory reset and will restore a backup to the new NAS. That might probably solve this problem.... I hope.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
haullussy
Aspirant

Ah, I see the problem, I think I cannot just move the disks from an old NAS with a different OS to a new one. I will do a factory reset and will restore a backup to the new NAS. That might probably solve this problem.... I hope.

Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@haullussy wrote:

Ah, I see the problem, I think I cannot just move the disks from an old NAS with a different OS to a new one.

Correct.  There is code in the RN314 to allow you to access the 4.2.x volume so you can offload it to external storage.  That is helpful when the old NAS has actually failed.

But you can't go forward w/o the factory reset, and then of course you need to restore the data from the backup (or the Pro if it is still operational).

Message 3 of 5
haullussy
Aspirant

Yes, problem solved. The RN314 works fine (nice new interface) and I am now starting to restore my files from the backup.

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

If the pro is still functional, it is possible to upgrade it to OS6.  It is unsupported by netgear, but it has been done by many people.

Even with 4.2.28, it is possible to use it as a backup NAS.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements