× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Replace all discs on ReadyNAS 314

andy_eakin
Aspirant

Replace all discs on ReadyNAS 314

Hi all

Running a ReadyNAS 314 4 bay unit with firmware 6.6.1 running X-RAID.

Drives have been reporting increasing sector reallocations, with one particularly bad, so I'm going to take the opportunity to replace all four with new, larger capacity drives (increase from 1.5TB to either 2TB or 4TB drives).

I understand the need to back-up before changing to ensure no data loss. And to swap out one drive at a time letting rebuild happen.

Questions:

is there anything else I should think of?

do I need to do anything to resize the capacity once all new drives installed?

Thanks in advance
Andy

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
andy_eakin
Aspirant

Re: Replace all discs on ReadyNAS 314

Hi All

Just an update.

Purchased 4 new Seagate Enterprise ES.3 ST3000NM0033 3TB drives.

After taking a back-up of my NAS with the old drives, swapped in one drive at a time, starting by replacing the one with the ATA errors (only one had ATA errors) and also the highest number of reallocated sectors.  

Swapped drive by drive and let the NAS rebuild.  Was replacing 1.5TB drives, and although I had quite a bit of free space remaining even with those drives, I'm happy to have upped the amount of space available.

Each drive took about 12 hours to rebuild on to, so after two days had a fully rebuilt NAS, now running on brand new, error free drives, with 5 year warranties.

Relieved with it being complete with no data loss.  Would have been an inconvenience more than anything if it had failed, but glad it didn't.  Fortunate also that it didn't as the ATA errors on one drive were quite high.  And on 3 of the 4 drives I had more than 4,000 reallocated sectors, with the 4th drive having only 10.  

Lucky escape, and now well covered.

Thanks for advice on here.

Cheers

Andy

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi andy_eakin,

Only thing would probably be the stress on the drives when its syncing. A possible drive failure on the other drives might occur. The back-up would be your answer to that.

Regards,

Message 2 of 6
StephenB
Guru

If you are making a backup anyway, you could start over with fewer/larger disks.

For instance, 3x4TB would give you an 8 TB volume, and give you an empty bay for expansion later.  Building a completely new volume will be faster than rsyncing four times.

Message 3 of 6
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi andy_eakin,

Just following up. Any news about your disk replacements?

Regards,

Message 4 of 6
andy_eakin
Aspirant

Hi All

Just an update.

Purchased 4 new Seagate Enterprise ES.3 ST3000NM0033 3TB drives.

After taking a back-up of my NAS with the old drives, swapped in one drive at a time, starting by replacing the one with the ATA errors (only one had ATA errors) and also the highest number of reallocated sectors.  

Swapped drive by drive and let the NAS rebuild.  Was replacing 1.5TB drives, and although I had quite a bit of free space remaining even with those drives, I'm happy to have upped the amount of space available.

Each drive took about 12 hours to rebuild on to, so after two days had a fully rebuilt NAS, now running on brand new, error free drives, with 5 year warranties.

Relieved with it being complete with no data loss.  Would have been an inconvenience more than anything if it had failed, but glad it didn't.  Fortunate also that it didn't as the ATA errors on one drive were quite high.  And on 3 of the 4 drives I had more than 4,000 reallocated sectors, with the 4th drive having only 10.  

Lucky escape, and now well covered.

Thanks for advice on here.

Cheers

Andy

Message 5 of 6
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi andy_eakin,

Thank you for the update.

If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements