× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Replacement cooling fan - DUO-V1?

NASNoob11
Aspirant

Replacement cooling fan - DUO-V1?

Jedi,
My DUO-V1 is alive and well; sort of. It runs with a very noisy cooling fan. I sense fan bearings getting ready to quit. Yes, my DUO is now Out Of Warranty. Yet it continues to operate 24/7 doing its' chores. This cooling fan has been a warranty issue since day one. I choose NOT to RMA my unit. I believed that a suitable replacement fan would appear in my DUO's life. Sadly this never happened........... 😞
purchased: 21 OCT 2008
m/n: RND2150-100NAS
s/n: [MAC address]
warranty until: 21 OCT 2011

May I now purchase a suitable replacement cooling fan for my DUO-V1???
From Netgear???
Or, might Netgear suggest a suitable replacement cooling fan???
I do feel confident that I can replace this cooling fan and continue on into the future sans the noise.

I have NOT thought of replacing it. Most ReadyNAS upgrade choices are expensive.

I do now own a DUO-V2, but, it is proving difficult to integrate into my LAN (another project, please). It was purchased to backup my current DUO-V1.
Message 1 of 4
Prostheta
Aspirant

Re: Replacement cooling fan - DUO-V1?

If I recall, I remember reading about people using larger fans externally to the drive and fitting a reducer. The lower RPM is offset by the increased displacement and I think it increases the choices out there. I might look at mine this week and I'll post back if I come up with anything useful.
Message 2 of 4
NASNoob11
Aspirant

Prostheta wrote:
If I recall, I remember reading about people using larger fans externally to the drive and fitting a reducer. The lower RPM is offset by the increased displacement and I think it increases the choices out there. I might look at mine this week and I'll post back if I come up with anything useful.

Prostheta,
Yes, I recall reading (and seeing the pix) of those past creative solutions. The bottom line of these retrofits, IMO, were to improve cooling. I do not have a cooling issue at all. Yes, some of the past retrofits were done for 'noise' too. My unit sits on top of one of my switches in free air in a separate 'server room.' I just wish to get rid of the clunking, rattling noise of the OEM fan. After 4 years, I can wait a bit longer for a 'JEDI' (Netgear) comment. I know the fan MFG and its' specs. I believe I can find a quality compatible replacement. Certainly this DUO-V1 still has many more years of service in front of it!
Message 3 of 4
Prostheta
Aspirant

Fantastic. By all means share the source. I was about to check places like Mouser and other component suppliers. Still need to crack open the box to figure out what the specs are first.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements