× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Replacing NAS Drives and keeping data

MikeDee
Aspirant

Replacing NAS Drives and keeping data

Hello

I have a RN10200 with two drives allready installed total 4TB. I want to replace both with new HDD drives 8TB each. 

I dont know how to replace the drives but to keep the data - is there any way I can copy the data allready saved on my drives to new ones? 

Thank you.

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Replacing NAS Drives and keeping data

What FlexRAID mode are you using?

If you are using RAID-1, you can just switch to XRAID, and then follow my procedure. Just click on the XRAID control on the volume tab. If the control has a green stripe on it, then you are already using XRAID.

If you are using JBOD or RAID-0 with two drives then you will need to:

1. off-load the files
  2. uninstall apps and create a new volume(s) - or just do a factory reset.
  3. recreate shares
  4. reinstall apps
  5. reload the files from backup

@MikeDee wrote:

From what I found out so far it looks like I will have to back up my data to diffirent drive and upload them back again to newly installed drives. 

With over 3TB of data it will take ages. 

If your data matters to you, you should have a backup plan in place.  RAID isn't enough to keep your data safe; you need to have at least one backup on another device.  FWIW, I do practice what I preach here, and I have ~9 TiB of data on my NAS.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

I'm assuming you are using XRAID - let us know if that is not the case.

The normal procedure is to hot-swap one drive with the new 8 TB one (removing the old drive and inserting the new one with the NAS running).  The NAS will then resync the RAID array, but won't give you any more space.

After the resync completes, then hot-swap the second drive.  That will again resync the RAID array.  when that first resync, you reboot the NAS (you should get prompted for that), and then the volume will expand to the larger size.  

Note that RAID isn't enough to keep your data safe - the only good way to do that is to back up the data to another device.  

Message 2 of 5
MikeDee
Aspirant

Hello StephenB

Thank you for your reply.

No I was not using the X-Raid, I used the Flex-Raid instead. 

From what I found out so far it looks like I will have to back up my data to diffirent drive and upload them back again to newly installed drives. 

Do you know any other way to sort this out? 

Best. 

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

What FlexRAID mode are you using?

If you are using RAID-1, you can just switch to XRAID, and then follow my procedure. Just click on the XRAID control on the volume tab. If the control has a green stripe on it, then you are already using XRAID.

If you are using JBOD or RAID-0 with two drives then you will need to:

1. off-load the files
  2. uninstall apps and create a new volume(s) - or just do a factory reset.
  3. recreate shares
  4. reinstall apps
  5. reload the files from backup

@MikeDee wrote:

If your data matters to you, you should have a backup plan in place.  RAID isn't enough to keep your data safe; you need to have at least one backup on another device.  FWIW, I do practice what I preach here, and I have ~9 TiB of data on my NAS.

Message 4 of 5
MikeDee
Aspirant

Thank you for your help. 

🙂

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation