× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Replacing disk in ReadyNAS duo v1

machare
Aspirant

Replacing disk in ReadyNAS duo v1

I have a ReadyNAS Duo V1 with two disks which are not mirrored. The first (left) disk is 2TB the second (right) disk is 1.5TB

The first disk has bout 200GB free and the second disk has about 100GB free.

I would like to replace the 1.5TB disk with a 2TB disk.  What is the best way of going about this bearing in mind my requirement to copy the data to the replacement disk?

I could attach the disk(s) to a PC with Linux, but I recall there is a problem with the block size.

Message 1 of 7
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Replacing disk in ReadyNAS duo v1

Hello machare,

What's the RAID level? You may need to know if this is RAID0. RAID0 does not allow you to expand and keep the data intact as it writes data across 2 or more disks, if one disk fails or removed, all data will be lost. You will have to back up the data first then rebuild the volume with the disks you would like to use then copy the data over.

Regards,

Message 2 of 7
machare
Aspirant

The disks are not mirrored in any way, i.e. no Raid. I have two different volumes.

Message 3 of 7
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi machare,

If that's the case there's only one way to copy off the files from the said disk or volume. You have to back it up somewhere like on a  PC, external USB storage, or the other volume of your ReadyNAS (if it has enough free space) then back it up on your newly installed drive and volume once done.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 7
machare
Aspirant

Is there any software that will enable the NAS disk to be read by a LInux PC?

Message 5 of 7
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi machare,

Try the Linux Reader the software that they've mentioned in this thread

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 7
JennC