× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Reshape time left: 3 days 15 hours??? ReadyNAS NV+ v2

Dooger
Aspirant

Reshape time left: 3 days 15 hours??? ReadyNAS NV+ v2

I have a ReadyNAS NV+ v2 Firmware: RAIDiator 5.3.6.
I had one 3TB (2.7 usable) drive installed with 2.2TB free space on X-Raid2.
A couple of weeks later I added a second 3TB drive and it took about 8 hours to build redundant drive. Still 2.2TB free.
I added a third drive last night (same make and size) and it has been reshaping the drive for over 24 hours and it is only 29% done.
This means it will be almost 4 days to complete "RESHAPING" which I am unable to find any information on in the documentation.
There is one post in this forum that I found about reshaping but it doesn't really say much about what it is or how long it should take.

Any ideas on how long this process takes and what it does? I was expecting about the same 8 hours it took to build the redundant drive.

Thanks for any help, Dooger.
Message 1 of 9
Dooger
Aspirant

Re: Reshape time left: 3 days 15 hours??? ReadyNAS NV+ v2

Reshape complete.
Took about 3.5 days.
Still unable to find out what reshape is or does.
Read through "ReadyNAS for Home RAIDiator 5.3 Software Manual" again on the weekend and found nothing about "RESHAPE".

Anybody else have this issue???

Thanks, Dooger.
Message 2 of 9
JeWe
Aspirant

Hi Dooger,

I'm just expanding my ReadyNAS 3100. You said, reshaping was at 29% at some point. Where did you get this information? I downloaded all the logs, but I couldn't find any information in which status, beneath the info the the RAID is rebuild, the process of rebuilding is. Or what do you mean with "reshaping"?

Regards,
JeWe
Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

I think the v2 products call resyncing/expansion "reshaping"
Message 4 of 9
JeWe
Aspirant

OK, thank you. Is there a way to have a look at which state resyncing is? My ReadyNAS 3100 has 4x 1TB with X-RAID2, I replaced one 1TB with a 3TB. Now the ReadyNAS is resyncing for about 28 hours, would be nice to have a clue what's going on...
Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

If you hover over the green ball for the drive on the health page, you should see some additional information. Raidar might show you something also.
Message 6 of 9
kossboss
Guide

I believe your talking about a Resync and not a reshape. However when you add a new drive that is bigger (or the same size), the NAS has to spread out the data blocks between the disks, it does this block by block and it also has to calculate the parity for it. The process generally takes longer with more drive. The more drives you have the longer the resync. I hope that helps.
Message 7 of 9
JeWe
Aspirant

So we are at the beginning again...

As the TO asked, what's the difference between reshaping and resyncing?

@Stephen: Can't do this, the old disc is marked as "dead", I can't see the new one yet. In the log, I see that the new disc is synced now. But I can't see, to which point syncing is done...
Message 8 of 9
chirpa
Luminary

Reshaping is growing the volume, the EXT4 filesystem has to remap a bunch of stuff.
Resyncing is replacing a disk, rebuilding a new disk off parity from the others.

Reshaping will take longer, but on the v2, both will take a long time. They are very CPU intensive, and this is a low power device.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements